Hey guys, I'm sort of in a panic here. I just bought a used '87 Japanese Fender Strat and the neck is bowed in that way that the string height is low on the first few frets and really high on the 12th+ frets.

I want to adjust the truss rod but there's no opening in the headstock for a truss rod like on other strats. I unscrewed the neck from the body and there's this metal screw type thing and some wood thing inside if you unscrew that. Does this neck not have a truss rod? This guitar is known to be good! If there isn't, how do I adjust the neck?? Thanks alot for any help.
Some pics would help, I'm not familiar with this guitar
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Quote by fender site
Adjustment at neck joint (Phillips screwdriver): Sight down the edge of the fingerboard from behind the body, looking up toward the headstock of the instrument. If the neck is too concave (action too high), turn the truss rod nut clockwise to remove excess relief. If the neck is too convex (strings too close to the fingerboard), turn the truss rod nut counter-clockwise to allow the string tension to pull more relief into the neck. Check your tuning, then re-check the gap with the feeler gauge and re-adjust as needed.

I'd say that screw thing is your truss rod adjustment.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
it'll be visible when you take off the neck.

and if that's where you're looking, then yes it's there.

next time just see if you can peak under the pickguard to adjust.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Some pics would help, I'm not familiar with this guitar
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
comboing is a warnable offence.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
*comboing reported*

Quote by element4433
Quote by ravioli123
Whats comboing?? I'm not familiar with this offence

read the rules. you'll be ok as you post was the original, and wasn't spam but you should read up anyway.

Quote by element4433
Ok people, here are pics:

^Notice no truss rod thing to adjust here.

^You might not notice, but there's a slight curve going on here. Sorry about the bad pic.

And here's the body, if you wanna see.

I believe you turn the screw to adjust the truss rod.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
I see, but how does it work, I mean I'm not turning the truss rod since that metal thing comes out of the neck, or maybe I'm wrong.
I don't usually bump, but I'm just lookin for some answers after I posted the pics.
If you don't know how to do it, or if you think it's broken, take it to a luither as quick as you can.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by jacobparker
BOLT ON FTW lmao

Lol +1
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
yeah that top part should be attached. that could be a problem unless it spun off, here's an example of a guy adjusting his, with the correct tool...https://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods/1/Truss_Rod_Wrench_for_Fender/Pictures.html#details
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
lots of posters warned.... wtf is up with this thread's magnetism for spam? :/
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Use that piece in the heel to adjust the neck bow.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The spam is due to my first reply, which made it sound like I don't know what a Strat is, but I meant that I'm not familiar with a Strat without a truss rod adjustment at the headstock.
As another poster said already, the truss rod most likely needs to be adjusted by removing the pickguard, the metal rod with the cross on it looks like you should be able to get at it through the routed cavity in the body. This seems like poor design to me, any time I've had to adjust the truss rod I used a tutorial which told me to leave the strings on, it would be pretty hard to have to get underneath the strings to adjust the truss rod, then have to remove the strings just to get the pickguard back on. Hope you get the guitar sorted, it looks pretty sweet!