I just bought a brand new guitar so i just wonder if i can get some tip on how to keep it in good condition
rub your penis all over it, just so people know it's yours and is off limits!
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
What kind of guitar, different woods require different things to keep in good condition
well there is string cleaner but i think lemon oil is a good substitute (i'm not sure, wait for someone else to say it)
Lemon oil is really only for rosewood, and should be used maybe once a year in small amounts
Quote by JackalUK
Lemon oil is really only for rosewood, and should be used maybe once a year in small amounts

Most woods other than maple actually. You can use it for ebony as well, I believe.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
i fyou want it to stay in great condition, dont play it.
it's impossible not to ding a guitar. i bet nobody here has an undinged/unscratched guitar.

so now that you know youre guitar will get damaged sometime in the future, here's advice to keep it good as in playability/feel

every year or so, go get a truss adjustment. change strings somewhat often, lemon oil your fretboard, but not too much.. you dont want to overhydrate. keep it cool and dry, never leave it in a place you cant be in for a while. if you cant stand in your room for an hour, dont leave your guitar in there for an hour.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
i dont understand the last part about leave guitar where i cant be. Cause I cant be with my guitar all day long....

and i have to take my guitar to tech to get truss adjustment? what does it do and how much does it cost?

how often do i have to change string and use lemon oil on my fretboard? Where to get lemon oil btw?

Sry if i ask too many question
Quote by zerocrack
i dont understand the last part about leave guitar where i cant be. Cause I cant be with my guitar all day long....

and i have to take my guitar to tech to get truss adjustment? what does it do and how much does it cost?

how often do i have to change string and use lemon oil on my fretboard? Where to get lemon oil btw?

Sry if i ask too many question

1) That's a stupid logic behind guitar care.
2) Take it to a store or a luthier that knows their stuff. Shouldnt cost too much.
3) Dunlop sells a kit with polish, lemon oil, and string cleaner/protectant. Putting oil on your fretboard doesnt really have much effect on how often strings need replacement. It depends on string quality and how often you play and in what environment.
What i do to a new guitar:
1) Remove the stock strings
2) Polish it up with a microfiber cloth
3) add a new layer of gloss and let it dry (laquered/finished surfaces only)
4) Add guitar polish
5) Add lemon oil to fretboard
6)Restring with a new set of strings
7) Play it
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Quote by HighPotency
Why does he need to add a new layer of gloss to a brand new guitar...?

Just to prevent cloudy build up but its personal preference.
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
I use Elixir strings so I don't have the hassle of changing them too often but whenever I do, I always take time to work lemon oil carefully into the fretboard. This is partly with a cloth but I also use a toothbrush to clean right into the frets. I also use a special guitar polish with a high quality microfibre duster. Other than that, I always wash my hands before playing but that's about it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
well when i first bought it, the sale associate use some kind of liquid on the body to clean it and then he gave me free set of string to go along with the guitar. i didnt know how to change string so i ask him to do it. i watch him change the string and i notice when he took out the string then he put some liquid on the fret board and he said to keep the wood moist.

so i think he already took care of all that basic stuff

he also said i need to change string every month and use that kind of liquid on fretboard every time i change the strings. i think it a bit too much work to change string every other months. does buying expensive string meaning u dont have to change string often? and someone mention clean string, does it better than to clean or just change new set?
dont lean it against a radiator
buy lemon oil and clean your fretboard regularly
keep it in a gig bag when your not using it(oh who am i kidding,noone does that)
and most importantly,DONT smash it off the ground because that is the most typically rockstar thing to do
and besides,its cruelty to guiatrs
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape