Now I know at $100 I am not going to be expecting to shake the walls, but if I wanted to spend $100 on an amp what should I be looking at. Keep in mind I am not planning on performing with it, just want the best sounding amp for the price. I am wanting to play more of a blues style guitar, but not strictly that. My friend has a Line 6 spider, which is $100. I only played it for a couple minutes but it was not bad. I also saw on GC website there is a 15W Marshall for $100 and that had good reviews. Are either one of else good or should I be looking somewhere else?
dude, save your money, there really are not any good amps out there for 100. the line 6 spider is awful, as is the marshall MG i presume you read reviews on. dont impulse buy based on price, i've done it in the past and it was a huge mistake every time
My Rig:

Schecter C-1+
Washburn X12QVS
Ibanez RG7321
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic-Electric
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Crate Practice Amp
Marshall G80CDR
Maxon OD808
ahhh the Marshall MG. It has quite the reputation around here, almost a dirty word. I say be patient and go used.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Get $50 and get a crate v18? Its good, its tube, and its on sale, huuurrryyy
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

one question TS, what kind of music do you play?
My Rig:

Schecter C-1+
Washburn X12QVS
Ibanez RG7321
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic-Electric
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Crate Practice Amp
Marshall G80CDR
Maxon OD808
I was afriad of that, I'm am really impatient and just want an amp now, but I guess I will save up for the blues junior. Thanks
What does everyone think of the Crate V18? Is that worth getting for $150 or not? Everything looks and sounds good, but it does say Crate so I am kind of put off by that.
i would say (like others here) based on your budget i would buy that now in heartbeat while it is still on sale king231510 - the crate.

if you don't i will.

Vypyrs are worth a look i think and the Rolad cubes are well thought of.

PS...i have not played any of these.
Quote by king231510
What does everyone think of the Crate V18? Is that worth getting for $150 or not? Everything looks and sounds good, but it does say Crate so I am kind of put off by that.

The crate ss amps are on par with mg's or at least close, while crate tubes are fine amps
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

I played the V18, its great for blues/classic rock. With the right OD, it would get into some metal territory. The microcube would be a good amp too, very versatile. The Vox Da5 would also be worth a look, I have one, does what you play well. Another question is, can you buy used where you live?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
How much do Valve Jr's go for nowadays?
The simpleton's rig:
Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
Homemade Fuzz pedal "the chainsaw"
Peavey Valveking 212.
^Used VJ's go for $90 for the head, $125 for the combo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gsobolevskiy
How much do Valve Jr's go for nowadays?

Combo runs about $200 and the head/cab run about $250 so its out of the TS's current budget.
My crate v18 came in yesterday. It sounds great once you tame the eq. It is too bassy to get much use out of the bass knob, I just have it dropped pretty low. An eq pedal or overdrive in front of it makes it a complete non-issue, and it even sounds great without a pedal.

The reverb is also overbearing if you turn it up at all. Not very versitile or useable, though on low settings it gets the job done. Also, you can get relatively low volumes using the gain knob and it doesn't sound absolutely pathetic like many otherwise awesome amps do when you don't open them up properly. Granted you still have to put some volume behind it.

Mine smells a bit hot, even when the vents don't feel hot at all, I'm waiting to see if this is an issue, I will RMA for a new one rather than seek a refund if it is a problem.

Despite all these things, I think it is well worth the current sale price. It sounds absolutely gorgeous both clean and crunchy, is loud enough to gig with, and the included speaker and tubes both seem to be adequate (no required upgrades like on the VK). Definately a few steps above my valve juniors (which I also love).
Quote by Nevermind1299
I bought a Kustom 12watt Tube Amp.
It isn't terribly loud, I can get over drums almost
It does sound pretty good, The distortion on it isn't that great though so i'd suggest a pedal
And, It was only 80 dollars.

And this is it: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Tube-12A-Practice-Amp?sku=481230

Ive got the amp it is excellent for all types of music but for higher gain stuff a pedal is really needed.
Threadstarter, is this your first amp? or are you just looking for a practice amp?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Go to musicians friend and type Peavey vypyr 30. Proceed to checkout. That's a great looking amp for $200
Quote by Ghold125
micro cube is the only thing to come to mind

The Line 6 Spider 15 watter is much better than the Microcube.

IMO, for $100 you can't beat the new sales price of the spiders.

However if you look used you can probably find the 30watt Roland Cubes, or 60watt line 6 Flextone II's for less than $160. Peavey bandits sound pretty good too, and can be had for about the same amount as well.

I bought my '76 twin reverb for $150.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio