So I'm trying to learn the Pull Harder On the Strings Of your martyr solo.

I got pretty much everything but apparently there are a lot of hammer ons and pull offs that give me trouble. I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to pick everything until I got fed up and actually noticed they were all hammer ons (this is only matt's part so far.)

But idk are those actually hammer ons? I've been trying to alternate/tremolo pick my way through it but it ain't workin.

I know Corey's part has got some triplets and I've been practicing those.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
on faster music, hammer ons and pull offs are a must. you can try to pick them and you wont be wrong (it would be too fast for anyone to tell the difference anyways), but if you look at shredders like steve vai or paul gilbert, h/o and p/o are a must.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
on faster music, hammer ons and pull offs are a must. you can try to pick them and you wont be wrong (it would be too fast for anyone to tell the difference anyways), but if you look at shredders like steve vai or paul gilbert, h/o and p/o are a must.

I see. Maybe it's my amp (which I'm taking care of soon thank God)

Every time I try to hammer on with just my amp (ahem check out my profile or sig to see what I mean) you barely hear the sound other then the first picked note.

When I play with my metal muff they come out fine. Or what I think is fine at least lol.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Yeah I've noticed little amps don't do very well with hammer ons and pull offs. I tried out a 120w Spider II combo (2x12) and had the volume about half way (loud as hell) and the hammer ons just came out perfect. But my little Fender can't do it.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Yeah I've noticed little amps don't do very well with hammer ons and pull offs. I tried out a 120w Spider II combo (2x12) and had the volume about half way (loud as hell) and the hammer ons just came out perfect. But my little Fender can't do it.

Well that's 'cause frontmans suck monkey asshole. It's easier on a somewhat decent amp-try it on a Peavey or something nice, it'll be much easier.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It's not a Frontman, but your opinion has be tagged and noted.

To round up this thread, better amp = easier/better hammer on and pull offs.

/thread
Quote by sargasm
Quote by TK1

steve vai doesn't play THAT fast.
And listen to technical difficulties, the only pulloffs in that song are the legato part, and a string skips.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
**** that frontman is good. if you cant do hammerons on a frontman, you must be ****in retarded.

ok. you might not have enough gain or you may be simply not hammering hard enough.

what amp are you going for?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by kool98769
steve vai doesn't play THAT fast.
And listen to technical difficulties, the only pulloffs in that song are the legato part, and a string skips.

Wrong, Paul Gilbert's style relies heavily on legato mixed with alternate picking
and string skipping. The last lick in the song (the one that goes all the way up the fretboard) is half h/o half alternate picking. One of the main riffs in the song (the one at 1.09 minutes in) is legato with alternate picking.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by MulanoSG
Wrong, Paul Gilbert's style relies heavily on legato mixed with alternate picking
and string skipping. The last lick in the song (the one that goes all the way up the fretboard) is half h/o half alternate picking. One of the main riffs in the song (the one at 1.09 minutes in) is legato with alternate picking.

he said steve vai... paul gilbert does use them a lot.. steve vai not as much
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
he said steve vai... paul gilbert does use them a lot.. steve vai not as much

But you said that in the song Technical Difficulties that were were only two parts containing pulloffs also watch For the Love of God and Lotus Feet, the shred solo and the main theme contain a shitload of legato

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CfEaSmdtGU

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

Last edited by MulanoSG at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by TK1

Please ignore this post, it's quite incorrect.

Hammer ons and pull offs are a must only so that you can get a different tone/sound from your lead playing, not to physically be able to play at high speed.
Quote by MulanoSG

right, from 1:09 till about 2:00 he uses legato, and then in the solo he uses a bunch of tapping and stuff.
My point was, the really intense parts of the song are all alternate/economy picked.

Oh yeah, and steve vai owns at legato.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Why the hell are we arguing about something like this, Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai both use Alternate picking and legato equally but technical difficulties has more alt picking in the faster passages. Now to help the TS, you probably dont have enough gain without the pedal. Hammer ons and pulloffs are NOT essential to playing fast and it is certainly not "cheating". It is a legitimate technique used by musicians the world over and assist in creating a different tone and feel to you playing, shred or otherwise.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

Quote by TheBodomBullet
So I'm trying to learn the Pull Harder On the Strings Of your martyr solo.

I got pretty much everything but apparently there are a lot of hammer ons and pull offs that give me trouble. I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to pick everything until I got fed up and actually noticed they were all hammer ons (this is only matt's part so far.)

But idk are those actually hammer ons? I've been trying to alternate/tremolo pick my way through it but it ain't workin.

I know Corey's part has got some triplets and I've been practicing those.

Nothing is cheating.
Quote by Gordita Supreme
trempicking with a power tool is cheating.

I fix'd it for you!!!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Gordita Supreme
Nothing is cheating.

+1
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
It's not a Frontman, but your opinion has be tagged and noted.

To round up this thread, better amp = easier/better hammer on and pull offs.

/thread

No, there is no Champ 15G. It's a frontman through and through.

But Anyway TS, yes, use hammer ons/pull offs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by kool98769
right, from 1:09 till about 2:00 he uses legato, and then in the solo he uses a bunch of tapping and stuff.
My point was, the really intense parts of the song are all alternate/economy picked.

Oh yeah, and steve vai owns at legato.

Sorry but PG doesn't economy pick
If you like the sound of legato over picking then there's nothing wrong with it
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Maybe it's technique?? i had the same problem few months into playing, practice legato on the clean channel (or an acoustic), make sure the notes ring out properly, your fingers get stronger that way, that's what I did and it helped loads. Anyway hammer ons and pull offs are NOT cheating.
Quote by Toniofalcon
How DIDN'T that **** up his strings?

He has four picks stuck on the end of his drill (a wooden block covers up the rest of the drill bit), so the only thing meeting his strings are four fast picks.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by oneblackened
No, there is no Champ 15G. It's a frontman through and through.

But Anyway TS, yes, use hammer ons/pull offs.

No, you're wrong. But I'll let you live in your perverse wrong little world.

*EDIT*

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/The_Faded_Line/pictures/gear/47535/
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Fender/Squier+Champs+15G/10/1

Idiot.
Quote by sargasm
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Sep 7, 2008,
no it isnt cheating. and on my shit amp its hard to hear the note all the time
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.