not as good as your guitar through a better amp
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
It will sound fine, but you won't be releasing its full potential...
I have the same amp, and it sounds perfectly decent through it, but I can't wait till I get a Blues Junior, then I'll have some fun
It will sound better than the distortion on the amp, that's for sure.
I have got the frontman 25r and to be honest you would be better getting a better amp mate....
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
It would sound like shit, the Frontman is a crap amp and the Big Muff NYC is a crap pedal. Reconsider/replace both.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
the Big Muff NYC is a crap pedal

That is the biggest, most epic fail I've ever seen on this board. And I've lived through 'stereo amp' and 'fifth fret'.

Ok, that was a bit of an exaggeration, but to say the Big Muff reissues are crap is just plain stupid.
^ If he'd said it was an overrated pedal, however....
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

+1, its not that great on its own. Theres no midrange which makes it pretty much useless for live work, unless you use an EQ with the mids boosted as well, or have too much midrange on your normal amp settings (like the "mids should always be at 10" bandwagon). If you use a clean mid-boost behind it though, it sings!

My experience of using a big muff through a crap amp, though, is that it makes the speaker fart, and sounds the same no matter which pickup position you are using. I remember when i tried the muff first i used it with a PRS EG, and a MG15DFX, and i thought "it sounds ok, but theres no variation in the sound of different pickup positions". When i got it home and used it with my laney, it was a completely different story!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 7, 2008,
^Muff+Clean Boost= win.

Though I would like to add that the tone knob does a lot to the midrange of the sound. Also, it has more body that the Fuzz Face.

Quote by MrCarrot

Overrated is such a funny concept on the internet.
Quote by imgooley
^Muff+Clean Boost= win.

Though I would like to add that the tone knob does a lot to the midrange of the sound. Also, it has more body that the Fuzz Face.

Overrated is such a funny concept on the internet.
Tis, tis. I just think lots of people buy the Muff because of the name/past users or whatever and can't make it work for them.

Anyway i've got the Duncan Tone Stack calculator on my computer. It shows that for the BMP tone control, when at 10 it boosts upper mids and treble a bit, at 5 there's an upper-mid scoop with treble and bass the same, and at 0 it boosts bass and lower mids and rolls off upper mids and treble. So depending on your amp, you can make it work.
Quote by MrCarrot
Tis, tis. I just think lots of people buy the Muff because of the name/past users or whatever and can't make it work for them.

Anyway i've got the Duncan Tone Stack calculator on my computer. It shows that for the BMP tone control, when at 10 it boosts upper mids and treble a bit, at 5 there's an upper-mid scoop with treble and bass the same, and at 0 it boosts bass and lower mids and rolls off upper mids and treble. So depending on your amp, you can make it work.

I agree with you're first statement, as it seems so many people do that with so many different gearz... It's really troubling

One should never buy an instrument or instrument accessory based on anything but the tone/cost ratio.

And what is this tone stack calculator of which you speak?
Quote by imgooley

That is the biggest, most epic fail I've ever seen on this board. And I've lived through 'stereo amp' and 'fifth fret'.

Ok, that was a bit of an exaggeration, but to say the Big Muff reissues are crap is just plain stupid.

Yes, I've had this before, and I have to tell you why I think so. I had a Big Muff NYC for a while back in the day, and I absolutely hated it. I'm sorry but there are MUCH better fuzz pedals out there for the price. It sucks a shitload of tone, it is EXTREMELY noisy, it's tone can be quite annoying and nasal for a fuzz and I really just think one can do so much better. As I often say, that's MY opinion and MY experiences with it.

There is an inversion of the Muff made this local company I know called Morrison Audio called the Big Fluff, and Morrison has remedied al the problems with it, it is less noisy (I know fuzz is normally noisy but there's a clear line), it is true bypass, it leaves some tone underneath it and it sounds thick and full plus it's cheaper. Listen on their website if you must, even thought the person recording the clip isn't too great of a player.

I am honestly starting to see a bit of elitism beginning to go on here in GG&A and it's a bit worrying. I have two quite controversial opinions on this forum, being that I think the Bad Monkey and the Big Muff NYC suck, and I feel like my opinion is ignored or declared as stupid because I don't agree with what seems to be the consensus. Come on guys, I have respect for your opinions around here.

IncuEdit:

Quote by MrCarrot

That's actually probably a better way to put it yes, but I'm not the greatest in getting my words to describe my feelings when I take very little time to post.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Last edited by IncubusMan999 at Sep 7, 2008,
I would get a new amp first, its not gonna sound terrible, it will be a slight improvement, but it wont do much unless you get a better amp.

I also would just get the original big muff
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by IncubusMan999
Yes, I've had this before, and I have to tell you why I think so. I had a Big Muff NYC for a while back in the day, and I absolutely hated it. I'm sorry but there are MUCH better fuzz pedals out there for the price. It sucks a shitload of tone, it is EXTREMELY noisy, it's tone can be quite annoying and nasal for a fuzz and I really just think one can do so much better. As I often say, that's MY opinion and MY experiences with it.

There is an inversion of the Muff made this local company I know called Morrison Audio called the Big Fluff, and Morrison has remedied al the problems with it, it is less noisy (I know fuzz is normally noisy but there's a clear line), it is true bypass, it leaves some tone underneath it and it sounds thick and full plus it's cheaper. Listen on their website if you must, even thought the person recording the clip isn't too great of a player.

I am honestly starting to see a bit of elitism beginning to go on here in GG&A and it's a bit worrying. I have two quite controversial opinions on this forum, being that I think the Bad Monkey and the Big Muff NYC suck, and I feel like my opinion is ignored or declared as stupid because I don't agree with what seems to be the consensus. Come on guys, I have respect for your opinions around here.

IncuEdit:

That's actually probably a better way to put it yes, but I'm not the greatest in getting my words to describe my feelings when I take very little time to post.

Well, to be fair, a point blank statement with no explication leads to unsavory posts.

Now that you've stated your gripes, I can say that your opinion is justified, though I don't agree with it.

Also, from what I've read, the Big Muff reissues are true bypass. At least mine is.
Yeah, I can tend to that, It's gotten me into trouble at times. Fair enough.

About the true bypass, I was aware that they made some of the newer models like the nano muff true bypass, but I'll have to check that. It's mroe the problem with tone-sucking when I had it on that was my problem, I tended toose a bit of the purity and brightness from my signal.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
Yeah, I can tend to that, It's gotten me into trouble at times. Fair enough.

About the true bypass, I was aware that they made some of the newer models like the nano muff true bypass, but I'll have to check that. It's mroe the problem with tone-sucking when I had it on that was my problem, I tended toose a bit of the purity and brightness from my signal.

Understandable.

That's why boost+Big Muff works well.
Quote by imgooley
Understandable.

That's why boost+Big Muff works well.
True dat.

And the tonestack calculator is the Duncan Amps Tone Stack calculator. Google it if you want it? it's mainly for if you're building an amp, but if you can get ahold of the schematic for whatever amp you can input the values and see how the tonestack affects the frequency response. I've found it pretty useful actually, it helps me EQ my amp how I want.
Quote by MrCarrot
True dat.

And the tonestack calculator is the Duncan Amps Tone Stack calculator. Google it if you want it? it's mainly for if you're building an amp, but if you can get ahold of the schematic for whatever amp you can input the values and see how the tonestack affects the frequency response. I've found it pretty useful actually, it helps me EQ my amp how I want.

That sounds like a great tool. Gonna look it up.