I know relatively nothing about painting a guitar.
I understand you should lay a few coats of primer
sand it down to make it nice and smooth and then
lay a few coats of your base paint.

I want to know what type of primer is good for a
guitar. I want to know what is a good base paint.
Also, If you have anything else to add that could help
PLEASE do...

Thank You!
Also I do not care if you are a jerk.
I enjoy the comments.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
Quote by mikeyElite
you should have a look at this site, should help a bit

http://reranch.com/

Thats a pretty interesting site.
Thank You.
Any Specific tips some could give!
Im going to refinish my LTD M-10
Im thinking White. or Blue?
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
Stop separating everything you say with a new line. It like ****ing William Shatner.

The type of paint you use is Lacquer, if it is from spray cans. You can use nitrocellulose lacquer, or acrylic lacquer, which is available at most home improvement stores. Do not get enamel. It takes to long to cure, and it is very hard to sand. It is also more difficult to apply, from what I hear.

Now hoe, exactly, do you do it?

Materials:
1 can of primer (white for white paint, grey for other paint)
1-2 cans of colour
2 cans of clear

If you shop smart, this should cost like $30. Not bad for a professional finish.

Sandpaper in the following grits:

600 wet
800 or 1000 wet
1200 or 1600 wet
2000 wet

It is unlikely you will find grits above 1000 at a hardware store, if you can't find them, try a hobby shop.

The Process:

Note: all sanding on flat surfaces is done with a block. Sanding the horn cutouts is done with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel.

1) Sand the body with 220, to remove imperfections. Then 320, to smooth it up, then 400, to prepare for paint
2) Lay your primer, as many coats as it takes for even coverage, LIGHTLY wet sanding with 600 in between. Follow drying/recoating times on the can
3) The next day, wet sand LIGHTLY with the 600.
4) Shoot the colour, as per directions on the can. Once you think you have enough coats, do 3 more. Remember to wet sand with 600 LIGHTLY between coats.
5) The day after you have finished, wet sand again, and I stress this, LIGHTLY, with 600, and even 800 if you want.
6) Shoot the clear. Following the instructions on the can, wet sanding (you guessed it, lightly) in between coats.
7) Once the paint has cured, (1 - 3 weeks for acrylic lacquer, months for Nitro) You can do your final sanding. Wet sand with 600, using each step up (IE 800, 1000 etc. etc.) sand until you get to the final one. 2000, or however high you got it. This is all wet sanding. Then do your final buffing. Factory finish.

NOTES: A typical "coat" is three passes. So, cover the guitar with a light coat of paint, repeat, repeat. This should leave you with a wet coat, but without runs or sags.

Hold the spray can at an even distance. If the paint is going on too wet, and sagging or running, back up. If it is going on too dry, like dust, move in a bit.

All sanding past 600 grit should be wet.

Plug ALL holes in the guitar with wax before wet sanding. The water can get into these holes, and the wood will swell, causing the paint to crack, and the body will look ugly.

Any more questions? Post em. Good luck. Patience is key.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.