To start off, I'm kinda shy at the thought of putting new pickups in my S470. I got a set of Breeds for my old S470 and they didn't sound very good. Now that I have a new one, I'm considering the thought of new pickups. Here's some info...

1. Something balanced. With my current pickups, I can get a nice, smooth tone out of my neck pickup, but then when I switch to the bridge it's too treble-y and bright.

2. Something well suited for hard rock and metal. Stuff like Metallica, AC/DC, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, ect.

3. I guess i'll end up looking at mid-higher gain pickups, so I'd like to look for a single coil that wont have significant noise drop when matched the the bridge or neck pickup.

4. Smooth cleans. I don't need that twang-ish treble-y sound, just a decent smooth clean tone that I can throw some delay and/or reverb over for some of those clean intros for heavier songs.

5. The guitar is made of mahogany.

I don't really want to spend hundreds on some high-end private-seller type pickups, Dimarzio's or Seymour Duncans will probably suffice.
Quote by jpgilbert701
Paf?
More specific? And aren't PAF's more geared towards classic rock?
Definitely consider the evo set of dimarzio's or perhaps some fred action. I would go with:

Fred (neck)
evo (mid)
evo (bridge)
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
this combo will be great for what you want

Bridge pup - Dimarzio Drop Sonic
middle pup - Dimarzio Super Distortion S
neck pup - Dimarzio Air Nortion or Dimarzio PAF Pro
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by TJM2482
Isn't the D-Sonic geared more towards dropped-tunings and t3h br00talz?

yes and no. I play in standard and also drop d. I have the D-sonic and i find it to be a truly great pickup.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by TJM2482
Also, my amp is pretty hi-gain, not sure if that makes any difference.

all of those pups I suggested will sound great through clean, crunch and real heavy tones.

very versatile
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I have the D sonic in my S470, sounds very clear when playing metal. The Fred could get some mad satch tones and its also surprisingly good for metal.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
I have the D sonic in my S470, sounds very clear when playing metal. The Fred could get some mad satch tones and its also surprisingly good for metal.
Will there be any noise drop while switching between the D-Sonic and the Fred?
Oh sorry I didnt mean those as a set. I was just suggesting bridge pickups.

My Build IT'S DONE!
Anyone? The D-Sonic and Evo have an output of 370 and 404, and the Air Norton and Fred only have 270 and 305. Wouldn't there be a volume difference when switching between them?
Hmm, the Dimarzio site says the FRED works well as a neck pickup combined with an Evo bridge, I guess I was wrong.
Well I guess it would work. You need to make sure the bridge pickup has more output than the neck pickup as the string vibrates more near the neck pup area. You can tame the volume difference by adjusting the pickup height.

My Build IT'S DONE!
I e-mailed Dimarzio about what I wanted, and they recommended the Evo 2 bridge and the PAF Joe.
My S470 came with Humbucker From Hell, and they sound pretty sweet.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby