Hi Im new to ultimate guitar and just say its nice to meet all of you.Lets get on to better things.

Im getting a new guitar on chirstmas through guitar center and i need youre guys help to pick my new axe.I Like Thras Metal (Cough Metallica Cough) and Classical Rock (Such as Van Halen).Also I would like a guitar (excuse my language) with distortion up the butt.Here are my picks.

Gibson Les Paul Menace

-Or-

Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Gx

-OR-

Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Ex

Thanks for the help and i will also accept other guitars instead of these.I just need a explanation.My budget can only got up to 1000$ maximum.Thanks agian guys.

(Edie-I am Also a Rythym Guitarist for a upcoming band.Ive been playing guitar for 2 years now.)
Last edited by Th3 M3tal at Sep 7, 2008,
Guitar's don't give you distortion, amps and pedals do.
I say split your budget between a Randall RG50TC and the guitar of your choice.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Also, just so you don't embarass yourself - it's classic rock. Not classic.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
Also, just so you don't embarass yourself - it's classic rock. Not classic.

Also, just so you don't embarass yourself, the mistake was classical, not classic.

Im just playing man ,
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

thanks arbiter for the info.Ill keep that in mind.

As for Samurai,how would i embarrass myself lol and what you just said didnt make sense .Guess You embaressed yourself.

Hope i get more suggestions
Quote by (Metal)lica
Also, just so you don't embarass yourself, the mistake was classical, not classic.

Im just playing man ,

lol thanks metallica
Yeah, a quality amp should be your first priority. Especially when you're in a band.
Just get a guitar that plays well and you like the feel of, and the amp (when it's a randall RG50TC), will give you all the distortion you will need.

^
Why not get whatever guitar you want, but just get an amazing distortion pedal? Here's one that's easy to use for a beginning player.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...04&src=3SOSWXXA

First off, that's not an amazing distortion pedal. It's actually sub par.
Secondly, the amp is the first and foremost factor in getting great tone. Without a good amp, your tone probably won't be good.
As long as the guitar you buy is comfortable for you to play, that's really what matters. If you needed more output, just swap pickups in the future.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Sep 7, 2008,
500 for guitar 500 for amp.

Or 300 for guitar, 700 for amp.

Lots of options.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah, a quality amp should be your first priority. Especially when you're in a band.
Just get a guitar that plays well and you like the feel of, and the amp (when it's a randall RG50TC), will give you all the distortion you will need.

^

First off, that's not an amazing distortion pedal. It's actually sub par.
Secondly, the amp is the first and foremost factor in getting great tone. Without a good amp, your tone probably won't be good.
As long as the guitar you buy is comfortable for you to play, that's really what matters. If you needed more output, just swap pickups in the future.

exactly. a distortion pedal is not going to help without a good amp and a good amp won't need a distortion pedal anyway...

.word

50/50 or
40/60
uuummm...
^but what amp did you play it through?

An nice guitar will sound like garbage through a garbage amp.
A garbage guitar through a nice amp will sound nice (well, if the guitar is in good working order).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Are the strings supposed to bend like that at the bridge? It seems like it was set up wrong. >_>
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
Epiphone G-400 1968 w/ Mean 90
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Bend like what?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Like this:

It's not so clear now though 'cause it resized.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
Epiphone G-400 1968 w/ Mean 90
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Hey man. Welcome to Ultimate Guitar.

I would say split your budget. $300 for a guitar. Dont worry about how awesome it looks, or what famous person plays it. Find one that you find comfortable to play. That is the most important part when choosing a guitar. Dont go for looks and end up with a piece of shit, try a few out and choose the one you actually like playing.

The amp. You said your budget was $1000? $300 for the guitar, $700 for the amp.

For a classic rock tone i think a Blackheart 15 watt amp or an Epiphone Valve jr would be an excellent choice. don't make the same mistakes i did and choose an amp because its 100 watts. Not only was the amp i ended up with a piece of crap, it was also a very loud piece of crap. Im upgrading to a Blackheart 15 watt amp soon. Maybe for Christmas. Stick an Overdrive pedal in there and your set. A tube screamer would be a good overdrive pedal.

I'm sorry but i dont know any good amps for metal in your price range, that wont destroy your ears or kill your budget.
I'd say get the LP propechy EX, and a good amp too, if you can afford it.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special