I love the way the Gibson headstock design looks. It's pretty awesome. However like most middle-low class Americans, I cant afford a Gibson. Would it be illegal to modify an Epiphone Hummingbird's headstock to look like a Gibson headstock?

INTO

I dont EVER plan to sell it and I won't have any problem telling people it's actually a modified Epiphone. I just think the Epiphone headstock is kinda goofy on their acoustic models.

My second question is how easy would this be? Judging by sight, the process would be entirely subtractive, meaning that the shape of the Gibson looks like it would fit inside of the shape of the Epiphone, so I would only need to cut the shape out (and re-paint the edges) and stencil the Gibson logo on top. Would this affect the performance of the guitar in any way? Would it weaken the neck or anything?

Thanks in advance.
why would it be illegal? its your guitar for christ sake.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
For legality, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I mean, if you can place a neck from a completely different brand of guitar on another, then there's no reason you can't modify your headstock.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
im calling gibson and the police. I have printed out and sent this forum page to the proper authorities. expect buttrape in the coming hours.

I doubt gibson would sue you for it.
Quote by TK1
why would it be illegal? its your guitar for christ sake.

It would only be illegal if he sells it as a gibson.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Quote by andy_thomas
It would only be illegal if he sells it as a gibson.

That, or if he claimed he made the guitar.
Considering if he could pull it off in the first place. No offense, but the Gibby and Epi headstocks are quite different. Notice how more pronounced the curve is along the tuners on the Epi compared to the Gibson
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
who cares. you won't get busted. tons of companies make exact copies. like chinese stuff. gibson dont say anything, then nothing happens. if you're not selling it, then whatever. look at the threads in this forum. people make copies all the time. they dont get sued. dont worry man.

and i think the gibson headstock looks way better. go for it
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
as long as you dont claim that its a gibson and try to sell it, your okay. its a federal offense if you do. and it wouldnt be that difficult if youre a preffesional carpenter. of course you arent, so youd have to find someone who is.

nice pickgaurd by the way.
You can make an exact copy of a Gibson or Fender and put Gibson or fender on the headstock. That isnt illegal, it only becomes illegal once you try to sell it as an original Gibson/Fender.
There's certainly no legal issue unless you sell it, and if you sell it as a Gibson. In which case it could be fraud. But you won't get sued.

On a practical level, however, it might not be easy - I'm unsure of how easy it is to remove acoustic necks, but was under the impression that they were glued in. And I'd be rather cautious of taking a power saw to the neck while it's still attached, because of the damage that vibrations could do to the neck joint and the body.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but I'd wait for someone who's done something similar before risking it. Acoustics are a bit more sensitive than electrics when you're modding them.
Quote by Samzawadi
There's certainly no legal issue unless you sell it, and if you sell it as a Gibson. In which case it could be fraud. But you won't get sued.

On a practical level, however, it might not be easy - I'm unsure of how easy it is to remove acoustic necks, but was under the impression that they were glued in. And I'd be rather cautious of taking a power saw to the neck while it's still attached, because of the damage that vibrations could do to the neck joint and the body.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but I'd wait for someone who's done something similar before risking it. Acoustics are a bit more sensitive than electrics when you're modding them.

Don't take my opinion too seriously, because I'm not a luthier, but I really can't imagine a saw blade vibrating the body any more than a drill does, and guitar techs drill holes in guitars all the time to fit different hardware.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
surely that would onli be illegal if after you did the modification, then tried to sell it on at the gibson version price, ie just pass the epi off completely as the gibson,

but not illegal if you want to just reshape it or change it or w/e, just dont do that^

peace
Its Not Illegal Unless You Sell It But It Might Be Hard To Shape It And If You Plan To Do It Then Good Luck !!! Oh Yeah If Your Going To Cut It Or File It Remember The Inside And The Outside Are Different Colours (I Think I've Never Cut One Up Before Lmao)
^ TYPES WITH CAPS LOCK ON

your probably just need to repaint the side youv'e cut should be easy enough if you use a band saw

and mask off the rest of the headstock to avoid damaging it
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by xXxB3CKii3xXx
Its Not Illegal Unless You Sell It But It Might Be Hard To Shape It And If You Plan To Do It Then Good Luck !!! Oh Yeah If Your Going To Cut It Or File It Remember The Inside And The Outside Are Different Colours (I Think I've Never Cut One Up Before Lmao)

Wow did anyone else have a hard time reading this?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Sample246
... Would it be illegal to modify an Epiphone Hummingbird's headstock to look like a Gibson headstock?...

I dont EVER plan to sell it ...

My second question is how easy would this be? ....
kidding!!!

I do it all the time:

Very easy.