Whats the point? I mean, why dont people just get an amp with the sound they like??

btw, im not bitching about this, im honestly curious.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Not everyone can afford an amp with the sound they like.

Also, some people don't like amp distortion.

The Satch uses distortion pedals - you got a problem with him!?
using distortion pedals also allows you to take a dirty tone from your amp and boost it even farthur to get very smooth, sustaining tone. there are many reasons, and one of which is that many good amps are specific to one genre. A DS pedal can open things up for many more sounds and tones.
Not at all amps in people's budgets have good enough distortion, or the right distortion. In some people's cases, they buy an amp for one feature (e.g. my Blues Jr. for its cleans) but then needed pedals to get a different sound of it.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
Because turning up your gain just isn't good enough for some people. You have to use your LINE 6 UBER DISTORTION!!!1!!

But seriously, different pedals get different sounds and you can boost your amp's gain further.
Well, with tube amps, they can really crank out good tone and overdrive. Like using a TS9 Tubescreamer to drive a ValveKing further for example. It really works t pump gain into not so gain-hi amps.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
for flexibility. your tone might sound like crap and you won't even know until you experiment.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
versatility.

use your overdrive pedal on your clean channel to add a little dirt on to your tone. add a chorus, switch it to your neck pickup and you got a whole different sound.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I don't like having to crank my amp to 10 every time I play it.

So I prefer to use a good overdrive pedal.
Quote by HighPotency
Because turning up your gain just isn't good enough for some people. You have to use your LINE 6 UBER DISTORTION!!!1!!

But seriously, different pedals get different sounds and you can boost your amp's gain further.

I have one. I love it.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
for flexibility. your tone might sound like crap and you won't even know until you experiment.

this.

With a decent amp, and a dirt pedal, you can get a whole bunch of tones.
Quote by Metalocity
I personally find amp distortions to sound a bit muddy compared to a pedal.

It could just be your amp.

I personally love my amp's overdrive, and bought it simply because of its overdrive tone.

I just don't like the volume that comes with it, so I don't get to use it as often as I like.
Quote by al112987
It could just be your amp.

I personally love my amp's overdrive, and bought it simply because of its overdrive tone.

I just don't like the volume that comes with it, so I don't get to use it as often as I like.

I got a 75w line 6 spider 3, and I can get a lot of tones out of it, but when I plug my pedal in, its really easy to notice how crisper the sound is. I'm sure on a really expensive amp you'll probably get good enough distortion.
Quote by Metalocity
I got a 75w line 6 spider 3.

I stopped reading after this.

THAT's why your amp distortion sounds muddy.
Quote by imgooley
I stopped reading after this.

THAT's why your amp distortion sounds muddy.

yea I figured