Funny... 6 months ago we were some punk kids jamming in a basement to garbage hendrix songs. Now we're a tight as hell rock band (according to the bassist at least).

We've played a few local shows, we're taking almost a month off from gigging to get all of our originals really tight. (which is about 15 originals!).

We're the only rock band of our kind where i'm from. Psychadelic Garage Metal... We're competing with a bunch of acousta-pop and stuff that sounds like emo-meets-grunge-meets-rolling stones.

Monster riffs and some good gigs and more freaking optomism and confidence than in a richard simmons video, we're ready to go.
We'll get the damn originals down by the end of the month, and I'm set for some studio stuff..

Do you guys reccomend releasing an EP or a full album first? (because we'll have the material for an album, hell, a boxed set due to the fact that I write more songs per day than packs of ciggarettes which lemmy smokes)

Do you guys reccomend buying studio time and than getting it mastered?

What about getting a manager or agent to promote our music and send it to labels?

Sonicbids?
You don't need a manager to send music to labels, my band does it ourselves. You should just get your stuff tight, play a hella ton of shows and then record when you have a decent fanbase. Also make merch.
Quote by Highwaytohell

We're the only rock band of our kind where i'm from. Psychadelic Garage Metal... We're competing with a bunch of acousta-pop and stuff that sounds like emo-meets-grunge-meets-rolling stones.

Nuh uh. There's Serpent. >.>
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by JagStang5246
You don't need a manager to send music to labels,

While there is a fair bit of truth to that, it should be pointed out that this is not universally true. A number of labels will not accept unsolicited demos. Getting them to accept your demo is much easier when you have outside representation - particularly if it is through a manager, agent, or entertainment lawyer that is known to them. Kinda like, "Geez.... if Bruce Allen is willing to send this along, it must be pretty damned good." Without that contact, your demo just gets chucked without even getting opened.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Funny... 6 months ago we were some punk kids jamming in a basement to garbage hendrix songs. Now we're a tight as hell rock band (according to the bassist at least).

We've played a few local shows, we're taking almost a month off from gigging to get all of our originals really tight. (which is about 15 originals!).

Monster riffs and some good gigs and more freaking optomism and confidence than in a richard simmons video, we're ready to go.
We'll get the damn originals down by the end of the month, and I'm set for some studio stuff..

Do you guys reccomend releasing an EP or a full album first? (because we'll have the material for an album, hell, a boxed set due to the fact that I write more songs per day than packs of ciggarettes which lemmy smokes)

Do you guys reccomend buying studio time and than getting it mastered?

What about getting a manager or agent to promote our music and send it to labels?

Sonicbids?

Record about 25 songs, pick the best 12 or so songs and release them as an album. Release an EP at roughly the same time that comprises of one song off the album and a couple of extra songs that aren't on the album.
Obviously the EP will be cheaper than the album to purchase so as well as acting like any other piece of band merchandise or product, it also acts as a promotional item to encourage people who enjoy it to spend some more money and buy your album.
When album sales slump later in the year, release another EP which will also have a couple of extra songs on it that are not on the album. Keep doing this periodicaly with the material you recorded until you have run out of spare material, by this tim you will have an album out and about 4 or 5 EPs, which in itself looks pretty impressive on a CV, raises your public profile and provides you with many different products to sell rather than just one.
Give someone a choice of products and you are more likely to make a sale than if you only have one product on offer.

Don't bother with a manager yet. Managers are only useful if you really have too many business deals for you to handle on your own or if you need someone with a little more business savvy to pitch your business for you. They are quite often expensive in percentages and are in a position where they can rip off the band without them ever knowing.
An agent is a much better idea for a young band, he's financialy safer than a manager because he doesn't have access to everything to do with your business and he simply gets you gigs for a percentage of the wage you recieve for those gigs. In other words, the more he earns for you, the more he also earns for himself, although I'd get quite a bit more experience under your belts before contacting any agents if I were you.
Remember when dealing with percentages, always try to make sure that you agree on 'Net' percentages not 'Gross' percentages. A 'Net' percentage is payed to someone after expenses have been paid, which is a much safer way of doing business.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Record about 25 songs, pick the best 12 or so songs and release them as an album. Release an EP at roughly the same time that comprises of one song off the album and a couple of extra songs that aren't on the album.
Obviously the EP will be cheaper than the album to purchase so as well as acting like any other piece of band merchandise or product, it also acts as a promotional item to encourage people who enjoy it to spend some more money and buy your album.
When album sales slump later in the year, release another EP which will also have a couple of extra songs on it that are not on the album. Keep doing this periodicaly with the material you recorded until you have run out of spare material, by this tim you will have an album out and about 4 or 5 EPs, which in itself looks pretty impressive on a CV, raises your public profile and provides you with many different products to sell rather than just one.
Give someone a choice of products and you are more likely to make a sale than if you only have one product on offer.

Don't bother with a manager yet. Managers are only useful if you really have too many business deals for you to handle on your own or if you need someone with a little more business savvy to pitch your business for you. They are quite often expensive in percentages and are in a position where they can rip off the band without them ever knowing.
An agent is a much better idea for a young band, he's financialy safer than a manager because he doesn't have access to everything to do with your business and he simply gets you gigs for a percentage of the wage you recieve for those gigs. In other words, the more he earns for you, the more he also earns for himself, although I'd get quite a bit more experience under your belts before contacting any agents if I were you.
Remember when dealing with percentages, always try to make sure that you agree on 'Net' percentages not 'Gross' percentages. A 'Net' percentage is payed to someone after expenses have been paid, which is a much safer way of doing business.

Slacker if you get any better at advice i'll have to steal your brain

hmm. Lots of EPs... thats an Idea i've never seen before. I like the idea of an agent... that after hearing countless stories of ripped off bands. I've been thinking of using them for an extensive radio campaign idea that I have under wraps. You gotta think of new things if you want to sell a new(er) product.

Any other tips? Independant label? Sampler CDs?
Well how good are the songs you are writing everyday?

I know it varys in time for me to right a song. I only really keep something if I REALLY REALLY like it. So over the course of like 6 months I usually write prolly 2-5 songs depending on how much time I get to play and such.

Not dissing your songwriting ability, just saying you want to make sure you fans get the very best of your music. If you can write a hit song every day then props to ya, wish I could that. But the majority of people can't write songs everyday, and if they do they usually arn't that good.

I agree with the EP idea actually. EP's are cheaper and can be replaced cheaper. Especially with (assuming you live in the states)America's economy not being so good right now people are squeezing every penny they have to afford gas and such other things. So I think EP's would get more sales than if you put out an entire album worth of material.

On top of that, I only want to listen to a new band for about 5 songs anyway. Then if I like them i'll listen to them again and again then eventually buy more of their stuff. I normally don't ever listen to a new bands LP all the way through which sometimes leaves mixed impressions on the band.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Slacker if you get any better at advice i'll have to steal your brain

Quote by Highwaytohell

hmm. Lots of EPs... thats an Idea i've never seen before.

It's just how bands used to do it back in the days of vinal singles.
Quote by Highwaytohell

I like the idea of an agent... that after hearing countless stories of ripped off bands. I've been thinking of using them for an extensive radio campaign idea that I have under wraps. You gotta think of new things if you want to sell a new(er) product.

Agreed.
Quote by Highwaytohell

Any other tips? Independant label? Sampler CDs?

I've got loads of tips, but if I gave you any more, it'd make my brain worthless.
Just my two cents...you don't really have to use every song you guys write. My old band didn't use any of the first 5 songs we wrote because they just weren't good enough. You know where I'm going with this?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by Highwaytohell
any other tips?-

Humility?

That's one-half serious (if your post was how you come off face-to-face, I'd not want to work with you if I worked for a label. Then again, this is the reason people like me don't run - or even work for - record labels) and one-half me being stoned and taking the piss.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Guitarfreak777
If you can write a hit song every day then props to ya, wish I could that.

And I bet the Desmond Childs, Bernie Taupins, Jim Steinmans, etc. of the world would say the same thing.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

haha...
Thanks guys
Great advice all around.

As far as songwritting goes... Well I guess you'd have to be the judge... If you'd like to read the lyrics to a few of the songs i've written i'd be happy to share them with you. I write songs becuase i have some wild idealistic crazy idea spawning prowess. According to a drummer I once knew, I'm a freak and its not natural to be able to write insane songs on the fly like...

Kingdom made of glass redemption
Shards of grass are blue and black
Flying solo is a pretentious intention
But love was born just to strike you back

Depending on who you ask, those are ok lyrics.
I come up with stuff like that everyday.
I have a philosophy about eventually using all the music I write, because each holds a different purpose, meaning, and feeling. And I want others to hear it

Any other ideas/tips?
When it comes to record labels, great lyrics are measured against the question:

"Will this resonate with the average listener... call up an emotion.... remind them of an experience they can relate to so they can identify with it.... make them laugh or cry.... make their heart feel something?"

Though those lines have a good flow to them, I don't think the average listener would readily identify with them.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
When it comes to record labels, great lyrics are measured against the question:

"Will this resonate with the average listener... call up an emotion.... remind them of an experience they can relate to so they can identify with it.... make them laugh or cry.... make their heart feel something?"

Though those lines have a good flow to them, I don't think the average listener would readily identify with them.

CT

Oh crud. I might be boned than...

Becuase my lyrics have deep poetic incite...
Like Bob dylan lol....

dumbing down stuff isnt fun though ...
Trust me, going to a decent studio with a decent sound engineer (if he isn't your own, that is) expect to get about 1-2 songs a day recorded. Unless the sound engineer is lazy and shit and decides to just throw in some jacks and get the ball rolling - which is why you should have your own sound engineer.
Quote by Kyle.E
Trust me, going to a decent studio with a decent sound engineer (if he isn't your own, that is) expect to get about 1-2 songs a day recorded. Unless the sound engineer is lazy and shit and decides to just throw in some jacks and get the ball rolling - which is why you should have your own sound engineer.

Excellent, I know several willing to do sound for me.

Any other tips?
Quote by Kyle.E

That is such a hard thing to pin down. This is my advice for potential clients:

http://greenroomrecording.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=48

That pretty much sums it up.

CT

Quote by Highwaytohell
Oh crud. I might be boned than...

Becuase my lyrics have deep poetic incite...
Like Bob dylan lol....

dumbing down stuff isnt fun though ...

But do those words mean anything to you, or do you just think they sound...clever? Because I know that it feels better to make something that sounds clever, or deep, but if there is no meaning behind it then it's really neither of those things.

Maybe try and write lyrics when you feel inspred by something instead of just sitting down trying to write. Then you might have something to base your lyrics off.

However, these are just gueses, if the lyrics do mean something to you then by all means keep writing those sorts of lyrics, I just guessed that they might not.
I have to agree with the drummer, this guy is an insane songwriter. Like that song you wrote in two days for the open mic.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
one of my problems is I just keep writing lyrics about things i think about... how the world is behaving and how it's behaving towards me, it's just I want to do this without sounding self-hateful or arrogant...
Also, as far as recording goes... I've decided first to get them copywrighted and all that (do you copywright under the bands name or the writers?) than to follow 10 steps I need to do before recording an a album (http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1187960). So do I get each song copywrighted to the band than have credits given to the members?
Quote by Highwaytohell
one of my problems is I just keep writing lyrics about things i think about... how the world is behaving and how it's behaving towards me, it's just I want to do this without sounding self-hateful or arrogant...

sounding self hateful can make people like your music because they relate well to it or at least its my excuse to get my band to write music to songs like i'm pathetic and vain, which are very self explanatory
MCR FAN 405

originally posted by diveright
for one does not simply walk in to a spinning propeller

Originally posted by BLToast
Buckethead is the meaning of awesome
I have to say If you've been around for only six months I wouldn't even THINK about recording yet, I know local bands that have been around for 3 years and still aren't popular enough to sell CD's to fans (heck my band's one of em although we are in the middle of recording an EP right now). I suggest playing hard and as much as possible for another 6 months when you start noticing maybe 30-40 people ALWAYS going to your gigs you know you have a strong fanbase and you have a group to sell to.
Having said that, an EP is a good promotional tool that can act as a demo to get gigs at new places etc and to play to people who might be interested in your music
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by axemanchris
"Geez.... if Bruce Allen is willing to send this along, it must be pretty damned good."

hahaha! you used this same example when explaining agents to me in another thread called "would you?"
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Hehe... yeah, he's the first 'big-name manager' that comes to mind. I attended a lecture he did on the music biz which changed forever how I look at things. He's a pompous @ss, but obviously great at what he does, and knows the ins and outs of the industry better than most of us know the backs of our hands.

CT