hey, EG, what's up?

Basically, i am a classic rock/hard rock/shred guy. Basically, around me there are no such things available. My friend is descently involved in the hardcore scene, and might get me involved a bit into that scene. So basically, i need to be prepared a bit.
I am looking to get another guitar, that i will be able to use for downtuning. My ibanez, fortunately, and unfortunately has a floyd, making it like, impossible to efficently do drop tunings. So basically, i'm wonderign waht i should get for a different guitar.
It needs to have atleast 22 frets, and a middle of the road radius, or a compound radius would be delicious. Maple board preferred, but by no means a requirement. It needs to have a humbucker in the bridge, and a neck pickup (no bridge pickup only guitars, sorry guys) If it is 25.5 scale, awesome, but i wont shy away from a 24.75.

Also, i want to stay away from guitars with EMG passives for obvious reasons.

Note, i want to keep it under 350, and i'm DEFINITELY going used.
What are your guys experiences with guitars, etc?
Suggestions and everything are welcome.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
By hardcore do you mean real hardcore like Bad Brains, Minor Threat, etc.

Or are you referring to the stuff they label "hardcore" with all of the breakdowns and two-step and whatnot?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
By hardcore do you mean real hardcore like Bad Brains, Minor Threat, etc.

Or are you referring to the stuff they label "hardcore" with all of the breakdowns and two-step and whatnot?

well i'm not sure what its offically called, but things like devil wears prada, BFMV, and other similar gigs. I dont know if that is metalcore, or what. But basically a metal band of some sorts.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i'd buy myself a nice used jackson dinky. DKMG. i think you might find one for under 400 bucks if you look in like craigslist. they have active emg's ;D. the DXMG is cheaper but it has the passives.. no good.
i love my rhoads, but it may not be the shape for you.
you might want to look into ESP LTD stuff.. like eclipse or their strat styles with hardtail bridges. i think they make awesome guitars for the price. not great guitars, but for what you pay, it's good stuff.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
basically... well basically jacksons are good like basically the dkmg is pretty good at that if you are being basically basic about dropped tunings
Basically what you basically need is maybe a used EC400. I basically think this might be basically what you are looking for...basically....

Sorry I had to...

EDIT: Damn you lefty...beat me to it...basically
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
ibanez art100 or rg321 are both good.
art100 is a les paul shape+a stop bar, and rg321 is super strat with strat styled fixed bridge
both are made of mahogany and under $300 new
i own the rg, i can say its great for hardcore especially
go for it
Current Gear-
Ibanez RG321
Peavey Rage 258
Rogue LX400
Fender Rumble 15
Quote by benfortehwin
ibanez art100 or rg321 are both good.
art100 is a les paul shape+a stop bar, and rg321 is super strat with strat styled fixed bridge
both are made of mahogany and under $300 new
i own the rg, i can say its great for hardcore especially
go for it

I'm probably being a douche, but i don't want another ibanez guitar. probably because if i do get another ibanez guitar, it is going to flail in mercy compared to my Rg 550.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
What's wrong with Floyd Rose? My Floyd on my KKV stays in tune, and it's dropped 2 steps.

Learn to use the Floyd.
Quote by Sleepwalker 666
What's wrong with Floyd Rose? My Floyd on my KKV stays in tune, and it's dropped 2 steps.

Learn to use the Floyd.

I think he means its hard to swap tunings around often with a floyd.

EDIT: Eh nvm, just saw your price range. Hmm, maybe a Schecter Damien 6?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Damien-6-Electric-Guitar-103135687-i1147995.gc
Fender MIM Strat

Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX FR

Line 6 Spider III 75 (Upgrading to Bugera 6262 soon)
Last edited by Boomersoonr at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by Sleepwalker 666

Learn to use the Floyd.

are you an idiot?
I know how to use a floyd.
The floyd on my guitar stays in tune fine. The problem is, as soon as you change the tuning of 1 string, you have to retune the whole guitar, and rebalance the tension of the bridge.
I know how to guitar, tyvm.

Quote by Boomersoonr
I think he means its hard to swap tunings around often with a floyd.

As for the guitar, I'd recommend a Schecter C-1 classic, or basically any other schecter.

C-1 classics are nice, but i doubt i'll be able to find one on my budget.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
If you buy a guitar with a FR on it and complain about the things you don't like about it even though you knew it would come with the territory of a FR you're just being stupid IMO. If you change tunings a lot, don't get one. If you don't, get one if you want it.
maybe u should just block your floyd or get a tremol-no or something similar
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by HighPotency
If you buy a guitar with a FR on it and complain about the things you don't like about it even though you knew it would come with the territory of a FR you're just being stupid IMO. If you change tunings a lot, don't get one. If you don't, get one if you want it.

maybe he wants FR on his main guitar ?

He is buying a second guitar for when he needs to play drop tunings, you got a problem with that or what? .
Quote by Daseman
maybe he wants FR on his main guitar ?

He is buying a second guitar for when he needs to play drop tunings, you got a problem with that or what? .

You pretty much hit that on the head.
Didn't know it was a crime to have a guitar with a FR, and one without too.

Quote by kool98769
I am looking to get another guitar, that i will be able to use for downtuning.

I primarily play hard rock, classic rock, and shred. All which 9/10 have either standard, or 1/2 down. Not drop C, or drop A.

oh, and thanks to those who are helping.
I don't know if i want to go g-400 though, as the necks are quite thick.
Last night i had a thought, what about agile?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by Dan shreds
maybe u should just block your floyd or get a tremol-no or something similar

+1

this would be nice so you could still use your RG for it, but if you still want another guitar, certainly isn't a bad thing. Who doesnt want more guitars.........
Haven't read any replies.

Quote by kool98769
hey, EG, what's up?

Etc..

OK, well I'm friends with a local hardcore band who're getting quite big (Lower Than Atlantis, check then out they're great), and they swear by fixed-bridge guitars. This doesn't mean you have to or anything, but it was worth pointing out. As for lower tunings.. a fixed bridge is easier for changing tunings (much easier), but as for having a guitar permanently in a lower tuning, it would just be a case of having your Floyd-equipped guitar set up for that tuning. Also note that, while changing tunings on a fixed bridge guitar won't give you the headaches that doing so on a Floyd-equipped guitar, drastic tuning changes will still require you to redo the intonation, and maybe the truss rod and so forth. You're still not going to be able to go from E standard to B standard without making any adjustments.

So, a fixed bridge would be easier in general, and since you already have a Floyd-equipped guitar, perhaps a fixed-bridge guitar would just be a great addition to your gear, regardless? About the whole "22 frets" thing, my advice is not to worry about it. If you were in a much higher price-range, you could afford to be picky over details like that, but since you're spending so little, you can't afford to potentially turn down a really nice guitar, just because it has 21 frets. I mean, come on, how often do you really use that 22nd fret, anyway? I know where you're coming from, I myself was anal about "having at least 22 frets". I've been a Les Paul man ever since I started playing guitar. I got my first 21 fret guitar last week (a really cheap, but still pretty nice Strat copy) a week ago. I must say, I've not once missed that 22nd fret. I play shred, as well. It's not like I'm some blues rocker. You would think that I'd miss the 22nd fret, but I really haven't. It's only that high D note that you're missing, the other five notes can be found at the same pitch elswhere on the guitar.

Basically, it's nowhere near the issue you think it's going to be, so don't turn down a nice guitar just because it only has 21 frets. Look at Yngwie Malmsteen- he hardly gives a sh*t that his guitar only has 21 frets. I'm guessing that you don't shred or use the range of the guitar even half as much as he does (that's not a criticism, I'm just saying). For the genre, you basically want something with a good punchy, high-output bridge pickup, and overall a guitar that has a really raw distorted sound. That is really your main concern. Humbucking would definitely be preferable, pretty much necessary. As for the rest of the guitar- it's really down to what you want. Most hardcore bands never ever use anything but the bridge pickup, and when was the last time you heard any discernible tremolo usage in hardcore? So it's whether you want a guitar for purely hardcore, or whether you want something that will be good for other genres you might be interested in in the future. That'll be the thing that decides whether you get a HSS, HSH, HH, or just a H.

As for scale length, I wouldn't worry too much about that. The only real difference is the extra string tension in the 25.5" over the 24.75". I perceive no discernible difference of distance between frets or anything. The distance between frets must be longer on a 25.5", but it's microscopic. I notice no difference in that regard between my new Strat and my Les Pauls. It's just the string tension, and since hardore music is mainly abut chords (you won't be doing much lead playing or anything), string tension doesn't really make any huge difference. For hardcore, you want a high-output bridge pickup, and the rest of the guitar to just be of good quality. As for the specifications of the rest of the guitar, what would be good for your other genres of interest (or ones you may become interested in in the future), what would add to your collection, etc? The classic Les Paul designs ensures a huge sound. So for hardcore, you may look into one of them. By no means essential, though.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Sep 7, 2008,
I'm going to suggest an ESP/LTD 400 Series, like the EC, MH-NT, Viper, EX.

Could easily be found used for your price range, they play nice, some have 24 frets.
Tremol-no FTW?
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Quote by kool98769
hey, EG, what's up?

Basically, i am a classic rock/hard rock/shred guy. Basically, around me there are no such things available. My friend is descently involved in the hardcore scene, and might get me involved a bit into that scene. So basically, i need to be prepared a bit.
I am looking to get another guitar, that i will be able to use for downtuning. My ibanez, fortunately, and unfortunately has a floyd, making it like, impossible to efficently do drop tunings. So basically, i'm wonderign waht i should get for a different guitar.

Okay. Sounds pretty basic.
Honestly though... get a Kahler tremolo.
Not quite as good as the Floyd Rose, but certainly cheaper, and easier to drop tunings.

They're pretty close as far as quality.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Haven't read any replies.

OK, well I'm friends with a local hardcore band who're getting quite big (Lower Than Atlantis, check then out they're great), and they swear by fixed-bridge guitars. This doesn't mean you have to or anything, but it was worth pointing out. As for lower tunings.. a fixed bridge is easier for changing tunings (much easier), but as for having a guitar permanently in a lower tuning, it would just be a case of having your Floyd-equipped guitar set up for that tuning. Also note that, while changing tunings on a fixed bridge guitar won't give you the headaches that doing so on a Floyd-equipped guitar, drastic tuning changes will still require you to redo the intonation, and maybe the truss rod and so forth. You're still not going to be able to go from E standard to B standard without making any adjustments.

So, a fixed bridge would be easier in general, and since you already have a Floyd-equipped guitar, perhaps a fixed-bridge guitar would just be a great addition to your gear, regardless? About the whole "22 frets" thing, my advice is not to worry about it. If you were in a much higher price-range, you could afford to be picky over details like that, but since you're spending so little, you can't afford to potentially turn down a really nice guitar, just because it has 21 frets. I mean, come on, how often do you really use that 22nd fret, anyway? I know where you're coming from, I myself was anal about "having at least 22 frets". I've been a Les Paul man ever since I started playing guitar. I got my first 21 fret guitar last week (a really cheap, but still pretty nice Strat copy) a week ago. I must say, I've not once missed that 22nd fret. I play shred, as well. It's not like I'm some blues rocker. You would think that I'd miss the 22nd fret, but I really haven't. It's only that high D note that you're missing, the other five notes can be found at the same pitch elswhere on the guitar.

Basically, it's nowhere near the issue you think it's going to be, so don't turn down a nice guitar just because it only has 21 frets. Look at Yngwie Malmsteen- he hardly gives a sh*t that his guitar only has 21 frets. I'm guessing that you don't shred or use the range of the guitar even half as much as he does (that's not a criticism, I'm just saying). For the genre, you basically want something with a good punchy, high-output bridge pickup, and overall a guitar that has a really raw distorted sound. That is really your main concern. Humbucking would definitely be preferable, pretty much necessary. As for the rest of the guitar- it's really down to what you want. Most hardcore bands never ever use anything but the bridge pickup, and when was the last time you heard any discernible tremolo usage in hardcore? So it's whether you want a guitar for purely hardcore, or whether you want something that will be good for other genres you might be interested in in the future. That'll be the thing that decides whether you get a HSS, HSH, HH, or just a H.

As for scale length, I wouldn't worry too much about that. The only real difference is the extra string tension in the 25.5" over the 24.75". I perceive no discernible difference of distance between frets or anything. The distance between frets must be longer on a 25.5", but it's microscopic. I notice no difference in that regard between my new Strat and my Les Pauls. It's just the string tension, and since hardore music is mainly abut chords (you won't be doing much lead playing or anything), string tension doesn't really make any huge difference. For hardcore, you want a high-output bridge pickup, and the rest of the guitar to just be of good quality. As for the specifications of the rest of the guitar, what would be good for your other genres of interest (or ones you may become interested in in the future), what would add to your collection, etc? The classic Les Paul designs ensures a huge sound. So for hardcore, you may look into one of them. By no means essential, though.
Phew.
Almost a tl;dr Glad i read it though.

I'm just saying, this won't be a one time use guitar, i'm probably going to bring it to college in 12 months, since i probably won't want to bring my RG into a freshman dorm (i love it too much to risk anything with it.)
I really don't care if it's an EMG or whatever, the pickups really aren't that important to me. I can live with a moderate output pickup. and yeah, i'm probably going to run this thing at a whole step down, and then if i have to drop the low E down a step, whatever, that isn't going to have much affect on the guitar. I liked having a guitar that is a whole step down for some reason when i tuned my acoustic down.

As far as the scale issue, there (to me) is a subtle differnce between the scales, and i just prefer the 25.5, but that is probably because i am so used to it.
Believe it or not, i started out on a strat, and it always bugged me that i didn't have 24 frets. ALWAYS. However, once i got my RG, i noticed that i hardly ever use the 24th, mostly because the fret is physically tiny. However, i have noticed that i use the 22nd alot. However, the 23rd and 24th may as well not exist.

I have always kinda wanted a les paul though, and i guess this is an oppurtunity. I've been thinking of just getting an Agile LP, as they're cheap, and quality. But the fact that i can't play it before kinda sucks. And i realllllllly hate the epi neck profile, so that leaves to LTD or blindly buying a guitar. I guess it's not so much that an LP, but moreso a mahog guitar would be nice to have.

I don't really want to block off my RG, as i would not be eating, sleeping, and dreaming hardcore, i would still go about my normal guitar vocabulary.

I would just use my squier strat, but the neck isn't exactly the greatest, and the fact that its a SSS guitar, and would require routing for being HH.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
OK, cool. When I stressed "high-output", I wasn't referring specifically to active pickups. The band I linked to use Bare Knuckle pickups (Warpigs, I think). They're passive, just quite high output. I'm not a fan of active pickups myself. Also, consider your Squire. You can get humbuckers in single-coil form-factors (Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, etc). You have less choice in that regard than full form-factor humbuckers, but it is possible, and would be a much cheaper route than a new guitar. So definitely consider that option. Also, you almost certainly won't have to route your Squire for a full-sized humbucker. As I understand it, all Squire Strats have a 'swimming pool route', which is essentially a single large route, suitable for all pickup configurations:

Image (CLICK)

If this is the case on your guitar, all you would actually have to do is make the hole bigger on the scratchplate. Think about doing that, especially if you're going to be using it for college. Worthless guitars are great for dorms.
Quote by Martin Scott
OK, cool. When I stressed "high-output", I wasn't referring specifically to active pickups. The band I linked to use Bare Knuckle pickups (Warpigs, I think). They're passive, just quite high output. I'm not a fan of active pickups myself. Also, consider your Squire. You can get humbuckers in single-coil form-factors (Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, etc). You have less choice in that regard than full form-factor humbuckers, but it is possible, and would be a much cheaper route than a new guitar. So definitely consider that option. Also, you almost certainly won't have to route your Squire for a full-sized humbucker. As I understand it, all Squire Strats have a 'swimming pool route', which is essentially a single large route, suitable for all pickup configurations:

Image (CLICK)

If this is the case on your guitar, all you would actually have to do is make the hole bigger on the scratchplate. Think about doing that, especially if you're going to be using it for college. Worthless guitars are great for dorms.

I know what you meant by active pickups. And i'm not a fan of hot rails, and other such singles. Played some in an old charvel, and really didn't care for the tones i was getting. I had no idea squires had the swimming poul route either. The problem with my squire (it's not set up awesomely, but either way) is if the action goes any lower i get some fret buzz. I'm sure the truss rod just needs a small adjustment, and i don't feel like getting it set up, because it works just fine for blues, which is mainly what i use it for. I was actually planning on maybe throwing some laces on there, but that went out the window when i decided i need an amp change. hah.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
OK, cool. When I stressed "high-output", I wasn't referring specifically to active pickups. The band I linked to use Bare Knuckle pickups (Warpigs, I think). They're passive, just quite high output.

The Band you linked 'Lower Than Atlantis' use my handmade scatterwound pickups!
www.juicypickups.com
I have been making pickups for Ben and Mike for many years!
They are shown on my website clearly in video's and on the custom pickup gallery!
Quote by kool98769
I'm probably being a douche, but i don't want another ibanez guitar. probably because if i do get another ibanez guitar, it is going to flail in mercy compared to my Rg 550.

Actually, not at all.

The mahogany in those 2 will make it pretty warmer and help the tone of the down tuning pretty much!

The main difference between your RG550 and the RG321 is, most likely, the bridge and the PU. And the RG550 neck has the same specs as many of the prestige serie. So, if you enjoy the type of slim neck, having something thincker like an ESP will probably just make you miss the feel of the RG. I, for one, totaly like the ibanez necks and I never "felt" the EC, even when playing an Eclipse II I was "deceived" by the feel.

So, my suggestion would be to get an hardtail ibanez and swap the pickup.