There's this old standard 24 gold top PRS guitar at my local music store. It's been sitting for about 6 years because no one really likes gold tops. It's not used, but it's been played by everyone who goes into the store, however it's not a really big store. The guy who owns the place said it would probably need a set up. I'm not sure whether to get it or not because it's an awesome deal ($1,800) but it is old. I'm not experienced with buying guitars so I'm not sure if this is a good purchase or not. What do you guys think?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
the standard is a set neck, right?
If it is, and it plays good, i say go for it.
it's all down to you, as we aren't there to play it for you. Sounds like a reasonable price though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
PRS is a fantastic make, so you can't really go wrong with one IMO. If you like its sound and how it plays and are willing to shell out the cash, by all means man go for it.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by kool98769
the standard is a set neck, right?
If it is, and it plays good, i say go for it.
it's all down to you, as we aren't there to play it for you. Sounds like a reasonable price though.

Ok, I was basically just asking if you guys saw any problems with buying a guitar that's so old, it played just as well as other PRS guitars I've played that are new, it was just the age. And no, standard is bolt on, I can't afford a set neck (those are $2,800 and up and my budget ends at $2,400).

Thanks!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Six years isn't old at all for a guitar. If you like it grab it.

And if it really is a Standard it should be a set neck. Only PRS CE's (and the Johnny Hiland Sig model based on it) have bolt on necks.
dude my Ibanez Les Paul is from before 1974. I bought it like 8 years ago. You got no problem buying a 6 year old guitar
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
$1800 for a Standard 24? That's a pretty good deal for an awesome guitar. Try it first, and if you like it get it, you won't regret it.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by T!AN
Six years isn't old at all for a guitar. If you like it grab it.

And if it really is a Standard it should be a set neck. Only PRS CE's (and the Johnny Hiland Sig model based on it) have bolt on necks.

+1

You 100% it is a PRS Standard? Have you played it yourself before?
Quote by Mwoit
+1

You 100% it is a PRS Standard? Have you played it yourself before?

Yup it's 100% a PRS Standard. It has the tag on it that says it, and I know these guys wouldn't lie to me. I'm on really really good terms with them.
It's the guitar this guy is playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkTUfUH5-0k

I'm surprised I found that video...I've searched PRS standard 24 many times on Youtube and that never came up.
I found out there are a few slight scratches on the guitar...the guys said they aren't really even visible. Do you guys think that matters?
I think it's much more imporant they're trying to get you to pay Standard price for a CE.

As for scratches, depends where they are. Surface scratches on the face of the guitar are no big deal, but scratches on the edges or headstock show that the guitar might have been treated the best in it's years in the guitar shop.
Quote by T!AN
I think it's much more imporant they're trying to get you to pay Standard price for a CE.

As for scratches, depends where they are. Surface scratches on the face of the guitar are no big deal, but scratches on the edges or headstock show that the guitar might have been treated the best in it's years in the guitar shop.

No I was mistaken. It's a standard, I got mixed up because I tried to order a CE at one point, and they told me that was bolt on. I mixed the two up.