Ive been playing bass for about 9 months, I originally picked it up because we couldnt find a bassist, but I like it better now than guitar. Early on the bass lines were written for me and consisted of either root notes or just following the guitar. Now Im in a band that leaves the bass lines up to me and Im finding it hard to write anything other than root notes.

My question is, how do I go beyond root notes? I also kinda wanna work a tapping section in the similar to A wilhelm scream(forgot the song). How would i know what to tap and what not to? Also, what can I do to strengthen my fingers for tapping?

Thanx in advance.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
That A Wilhelm Scream song would be The Horse, Brian the bassist, was way better in The Fullblast.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Go through the bass lessons on this site if you want to learn basic bass line writing and a bit of theory as well.
learn your theory dude. everyone puts a lot of emphasis on it for a reason. now, keep in mind, its not 100% necessary, but it makes the writing process so much easier. thats all you can really do, considering you've only been playing nine months

Sanity is not statistical
Yeah, definetly you need to learn some basic theory first. When i write bass lines i tend to play around with adding 4ths, 5ths, and octaves to make it sound better without having to worry too much about being in key.

I'm not actually a full-time bass player, but i don't find it that difficult to play without always using root notes.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Well you can learn intervals of notes and play octaves, thirds, fifths fourths around the root note

Edit: ^ haha beat me to it
stick to the root notes and be pete wentz :P
lol jks

what i usually do is muck around with scales until i get something i like
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all