Can someone help me out a bit, I am sort of a beginner with a few questions regarding Hagstroms.

I have decided on one of two models:
Hagstrom Select Super Swede (again this is the Select Super Swede not the Select or the Super – they have too many models with too close a name)
or the Hagstrom UltraLux Ultra Swede
Yes I know these two guitars are not even that close, however for versatility and stretch which would be the best model to get.

Looking for sounds and plays like: Kansas, Gary Moore, B.B. King, Bonnie Rait, Santana, The Who, Boston, John Mayer, some country, blues, contemporary and 80’s style.

I know the Ultra has the thin neck and the Super has the 2 tone and 2 volume controls (does this really make that much of a difference having the 2 tone and 2 volume as compared to one volume and one tone?)

Please do not suggestion another Brand or another model, I am only interested in one of the two listed above. Can you list me the advantages to both and or why one is better than the other for a beginner that will continue to use it for years to come.
I have a Select Swede, so I can help here a bit.

The Super Swedes have a 25.5 neck, coil tapping and 2+2 pots, the ultralux is 24.75, and 2 pots.

The select series is the top of the line, the Ultra's are the bottom. From my SS, I love the overall tone, very Gibson like, and as good as say a studio (actually better) The Ultra I haven't played.

My Swede is very good... BUT... Bit pissed at a couple things. The build quality on the small stuff isn't great, I lost a input jack in the guitar, and they used such cheap screws and tightened them up so much in the factory they stripped.

The other thing is where the neck meets the body. It's a bit hard to get at the frets, and the Selects have such a huge block of wood there so it's tougher. A new player will get use to it a lot more than a gibson player.

The select is a very very heavy guitar, they certainly didn't cheap out on the wood, so the sustain on my Hag goes on far longer. My Gibson LP friend noticed it as well, and he plays vintage LP Standards. The sound should be better on a Select than a Ultra, the stock pickups on both are excellent, very vintage sounding. The extra tone on the SSS should make a bit of a difference, be a bit more flexible. The coil tapping is nice as well.

I would get the SSS over the Ultra, but only if there wasn't a huge price difference. I love the finishes, the amber model is jaw dropping.
Last edited by shvmr at Sep 7, 2008,
I can both for extremely good prices, the SSS I can along with a bag both brand new for about $560, reason the guy who has it said the nut on the side of the guitar does not actually go all the way down to the mahogany finish, not physical but more from a beauty stand point, but less then 8th of an inch, also the pearl graving around the head on one side is a little thicker then on the other side so he is marking it down cheap.

When you say it is very heavy, do you mean it is much more heavy than the UltralLux or for that matter even a normal Fender? Will that be a big problem do you think or just something I would get used to?

I am 41 years old and can afford about an hour to two hours a day to practice, I currently have a Ibanez Gia that seems to go out of tune every other song and is ok but I really wanted something more substantial that would give me years of enjoyment and would allow me to be expressive.

Only problem I am really having is my 4 fret stretch, try as I might, I cannot get the spread, either my wrist starts to get sore ( I know this will pass) or my fingers just like each other way too much and want to stay together. I know that it should take around 2-3 months for that to start to get better - which I really do hope it will at my age, just frustrating cause it really limits me on scales and chords.

the other areas is chord changing, have to stop, put fingers together and really look at where I am going or else I start touching all the other strings, but I assume that will change in time as well -practice-practice-and more practice.

I was thinking the UltraLux might be a bit easier for me to work my hands on since it is such a thin neck (although I heard it is thin but wide) and lighter, but then I also was thinking though that in the long run I would prefer and be more satisfied with the SSS for its ability in sounds, versatility and features and since we are talking about more than $500 for both that it would be better to get one that would benefit me the most. I also heard that the SSS although different could mimic the sounds of the UltraLux and more.

One last question: I have been told by about 6 stores that all the comes in the box is the guitar, an allen key and warrenty card/registration. There is no manual on the guitar or anything, is this true, if you know?
Last edited by rmo67 at Sep 7, 2008,
I think I am going to go with the SSS after all, seems to be the ebst choice but a heavy coice.
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
I'm watching the video, and this lecture is pretty bad. I've heard "no explanation" about 500 times so far for things that have very logical explanations.

What video?
Oh does anyone know about the manual thing, if they are suppose to come with it or not?
Yeah, the selects are quite heavy. As a comparison, my friend says it's heavier than his '60 LP, but then, there is a lot more wood in the Hag. It's actually a bit tough to find a bag for it. It's shaped so high that LP cases won't close on it, so I ended up with a 3/4 acoustic bag, and even then, that just fit.

I think if there is only a small difference in price like that, the Select would be far better.

They both play very similar to Gibson as well, just remember that the SSS is a fender style neck, but it's like playing on glass. I'm pretty new as well, my Hag I find to be far better than the Ibanez I have when I play. Because the Hag is so much better, I also find them to be less forgiving with missed chords etc, but that's not a bad thing, as it teaches you better mechanics.

No instruction in mine either.

Guess they really don't need it. If you do get the SSS, and you take the back pads off for some reason, can I ask for shots of the electronics? The Select doesn't have coil tapping (cheap buggers) but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same thing as the SSS, so wanted to see the wiring so I can add coil tapping myself and change the pots to push/pull.
Actually I was going to by the select and have it wired tap, what I was told was you would have to replace the pickups otherwise there was going to be a lot of surgery involved and not worth the price at all. There is no room to add another switch I was told so you would have to do a push pull knob which is good in a way since you do not need to drill the top at all.

Yeah I'll take a couple of shots for you and send them your way.

I can get the SSS and a fitted Hagstrom case (not the flat rectangle box) for a total of $580 for everything.
Quote by forsaknazrael
What do you need a manual for? It's a guitar.

Wiring diagrams...

On the pups, that's weird, as every swede in the line has the exact same pickups as stock, only the Select Swede does not have coil tap (or coil tone)

I will take mine out, but pretty sure there is 4 connectors there, doesn't make sense for Hagstrom to make a completely different setup just for one guitar. Thanks.
Well the ultra swede looks better to me, although i have no experience with hagstroms people say they are good. Best to try in a store tho, cause i read somewhere about there being some quality control issues.
Quote by shvmr
Wiring diagrams...

On the pups, that's weird, as every swede in the line has the exact same pickups as stock, only the Select Swede does not have coil tap (or coil tone)

I will take mine out, but pretty sure there is 4 connectors there, doesn't make sense for Hagstrom to make a completely different setup just for one guitar. Thanks.

Yeah, exactly.

The guitar's circuit is a very simple thing. If you want, feel free to PM me with any wiring questions you have.

The wiring setup sounds just like a normal Les Paul 2v, 2t setup with a 3-way switch, and some coil splits. Nothing out of the ordinary. The only difference would be the color code of the 4-wire.
cool, thanks, may take you up on that.

Yes, quality control... the stupid thing with hagstrom is it's not the expensive stuff, it's the cheap stuff. For the sake of 5 bucks or so, they could have made it a lot better. Bad real cheap screws, the input jack doesn't tighten because the washer is a shade too big, and the pots could be a bit more sensitive. The input jack and the toggle switch could be a bit higher end as well.

I will be replacing all that, but still, very weird considering the quality of the rest of the guitar. The hardware like the tuners etc is very good, for "no-name" and the bridge is very solid. Hags use a unique bridge as well, and they sustain for a long time, at least double that of my cheap Ibanez. Real noticeable with the MT-2 pedal.

I do like the Hags a lot, and considering how Gibson is floundering around, would buy the Hags over the studio. Hagstrom just finally released their new Viking Deluxe with the Bigsby type trem and new colors. Beauty, I have to get one of those.
Attachments:
hag_viking_trem.JPG
I was talking to Hagstrom direct earlier in the day and they said they are aware of those minor problems and the new batch are suppose to have all of that corrected. Bad news is they are 6-8 weeks backlogged on new orders and so it really looks like around November when the new ones will be in, but they said they have imporved their quality control and should no longer have those problems listed above. The other problem was shapr frets over extending a bit. they have that fixed as well they said.
Quote by rmo67
I was talking to Hagstrom direct earlier in the day and they said they are aware of those minor problems and the new batch are suppose to have all of that corrected. Bad news is they are 6-8 weeks backlogged on new orders and so it really looks like around November when the new ones will be in, but they said they have imporved their quality control and should no longer have those problems listed above. The other problem was shapr frets over extending a bit. they have that fixed as well they said.

How nice, after I already bought mine.

Some of these issues been around for years, and they are only doing something about it now? Jeez. Must be channelling Gibson. Those screws they use are god awful, the heads must be made of plastercine. If they want to charge the amount of money they do, then they have to improve those little things, because the jig is up. I've seen a few people mention the problems, and though they are small, I've always said that small problems can become big problems real fast if not looked after, and Hag is starting to get a bad rep just for the sake of 3 dollars of extra profit. That will mean fewer sales down the road, so maybe that's why they finally said something.

There's actually no where to register with Hag USA at all, so they may want to think about that. I go to the European Hagstrom website now, far better and more info.

Don't get me wrong, I love my hag, so does everyone who has played it, but at that price, you expect better than stripped screws, busted toggle switches, insensitive pots and input jacks that fall into the guitar, all common problems mentioned since day one because they used the cheapest parts possible. These are all simple and cheap fixes, but why should someone have to pay for that on a 700 plus dollar brand new guitar?
Quote by shvmr

There's actually no where to register with Hag USA at all, so they may want to think about that. I go to the European Hagstrom website now, far better and more info.

Can you give us the website for that?
Try here first:
http://www.hagstromguitars.eu/
This gives you all of the Hagstrom Guitar sites, the german one is good, though of course, the language barrier, but all the Official sites seem to be different.

Once I finish writing the CSS and a new site design, I will be putting up a new site. I'm known for my excessive amounts of content so I will have as much info on the Hag as possible soon enough.
Last edited by shvmr at Sep 10, 2008,
I look forward to seeing your site. there really is not that much out there about Hags, and it is a very good guitar for the money. One thing though, once I get it next week I'll take it down to my local shop and have it inspected to make certain all nuts and screws are decent and if not then replace, why take a chance. However other than that, the Hags are very nice and well valued so more info about them the better.
Cool, be a while for a site though, a bit rusty.

That's a good idea, I think it's something people should do with all guitars and have them checked out. Not just hags, but other guitars like Epi's etc. Sort of like computers, the companies will cheap out on one thing or another to make the product price competitive.

With mine, I've already planned to replace the Toggle and the input jack, but the screws never would have occurred to me, even though I've had the same problem on a old Mann bass from many years back.