I think the distortion sounds a bit to fuzzy and it sounds to thin overall. What do you guys think? How can improve it? A tube amp is on my wish list (Christmas present. Probabbly a Blackheart 5 wat combo ) However would a temporary fix be to get an EQ? A low gain distortion pedal?

This recording is done with some basic recording equipment i threw together but it sounds exactly like it does live. No effects or anything were added just the EQ on my amp.

Please ignore the shit guitar playing its an old recording.

The recording is in my profile.
very fizzy. are you using a pedal? buy an amp with good distortion. dont buy an amp if you dont like the distortion. a pedal can never replace amp distortion. you can go amp distortion + overdrive for awesomeness.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
very fizzy. are you using a pedal? buy an amp with good distortion. dont buy an amp if you dont like the distortion. a pedal can never replace amp distortion. you can go amp distortion + overdrive for awesomeness.

Its just my guitar + amp. No pedals.

Well i was thinking of going with the 5 watt blackheart combo + an OD and an EQ. I thought that would be a good amp+pedal combo but no way in hell would it get a metal tone...

Hmmm... *thinks*
is it a tube amp?

it's taken me 4 years to realize that you just have to have tube driven amps or your tone will never be great. Ive just never had the courage to drop more than 300$ on an amp
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
Quote by HelpMeImHungry
is it a tube amp?

it's taken me 4 years to realize that you just have to have tube driven amps or your tone will never be great. Ive just never had the courage to drop more than 300$ on an amp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko

Carlos Santana begs to differ. His tone sounds pretty damn good to me.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by al112987
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko

Carlos Santana begs to differ.

I'm confused, what exactly do you think Santana is using in that clip? You do know he's been using Mesa/boogie tube amps since the started making them right? The amp in that clip is almost certainly a Mark I.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm confused, what exactly do you think Santana is using in that clip? You do know he's been using Mesa/boogie tube amps since the started making them right? The amp in that clip is almost certainly a Mark I.

Nope!

Solid state GMT 226A. Well, very early amp designed by Robert Gallien (of Gallien and Krueger), I think before G+K. But amazing tone, I couldn't believe it when I first found out it was a solid state amp. I think I've heard he was using an early big muff prototype at Woodstock as well but I don't really hear it in that clip.

Its a terrific clip, I always bring it up anytime n00bs start claiming that solid state amps cannot get good tone. Michael Shrieve is a machine.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Nope!

Solid state GMT 226A. Well, very early amp designed by Robert Gallien (of Gallien and Krueger), I think before G+K. But amazing tone, I couldn't believe it when I first found out it was a solid state amp. I think I've heard he was using an early big muff prototype at Woodstock as well but I don't really hear it in that clip.

Its a terrific clip, I always bring it up anytime n00bs start claiming that solid state amps cannot get good tone. Michael Shrieve is a machine.

man though thats an alright tone his tone once he started playing on mesas is 50000x better a solid state cant compare to tube... and plus its friggin santana he could make a line 6 spider and a piece of shit squire sound half decent with his hands... but when it comes down to it a tube amp always beats a solid state amp any day of the week... its just smoother sounding
Quote by SRV59
man though thats an alright tone his tone once he started playing on mesas is 50000x better a solid state cant compare to tube... and plus its friggin santana he could make a line 6 spider and a piece of shit squire sound half decent with his hands... but when it comes down to it a tube amp always beats a solid state amp any day of the week... its just smoother sounding

I would take the amp in that video that Santana is using over a Valveking, Crate V series, Bugera, or Classic 30 any day of the week.
distortion isnt so hot man....definitely fizz city. but i actually really like the clean tone. what amp you using?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals