Page 1 of 2
What is the purpose of the take a penny leave a penny trays?

I have never seen one before bt there was one on my name is earl,
so it got meh curious.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
If you're short a couple pennies, you take a couple pennies to pay.... if you get pennies for change and you don't want them, you put them in the tray.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Isn't it obvious, you simply take a penny, then leave one in the other one's place.
Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Quote by ACG
If you're short a couple pennies, you take a couple pennies to pay.... if you get pennies for change and you don't want them, you put them in the tray.

This

they're pretty common around here
Quote by titsmcgee852
What is the purpose of the take a penny leave a penny trays?

I have never seen one before bt there was one on my name is earl,
so it got meh curious.

So you don't have to dig for a random penny when buying something.
It is meant to cover the 1-5 cents that would go over an even amount, thus causing a pocketful of change. By taking a penny, you even yourself out, and whenever you have a few pennies of change, you leave a penny to help even someone else out.
A Powerade at a gas station near me cost $2.03. Sometimes its nice not getting $.97 back.
i dont see them anymore, and i often find myself in need of one.

IMO pennies are a huge waste of natural resources.
I heard about this while watching Office Space. I've yet to encounter it mainly because I rarely go to convenience stores.
It'd be easier if prices were fixed so that pennys are not necessary.
Removed because of damn rules.. >_>
Quote by SimpleMan008
Fixed.

Not in australia.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
yea... i don't know where you're from that you've never seen one. That must be a sad place where no one wants to help anyone.
Quote by Tedward

I believe I heard somewhere that they are getting rid of pennies in some place, and I think even nickles as well. No idea where though...I'm useless

But yea I agree that pennies are completely unnecessary nowadays..
We just round our moneys off to the nearest 5 cents.

And also,

6) ACG --> A true welding legend.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by Tedward

It costs almost two cents to make a penny.
Arent they for making things exact? like rounding 2.98 going to 3.00.
Quote by titsmcgee852
We just round our moneys off to the nearest 5 cents.

And also,

6) ACG --> A true welding legend.

Australia's ages ahead of North America

And also,

ah memories =D
Quote by ztoner
Arent they for making things exact? like rounding 2.98 going to 3.00.

Why don't they just make that thing $2.95 or $3 to begin with?

WAL-MART?
Or there should be more stores that incorporate tax into the price. And make things in increments of a quarter or a dollar.
Last edited by abstract pie at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by Survivalism

WAL-MART?

Well they would have to make the price something like $2.90 so that with taxes included it would be an even $3.00. But yea, people are stupid =(
Quote by Survivalism

WAL-MART?

To make it look cheaper and more entising to the viewing eye, mmmkay?
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by abstract pie
Or there should be more stores that incorporate tax into the price. And make thinks in increments of a quarter or a dollar.

Yea, that would be ideal, but it's never going to happen (probably). Items will sell more if they are at a lower price, it's all about what the consumer sees as the initial price.
too bad they don't have "take a dollar, leave a dollar"

cause pennies are worthless
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
i wonder if hobos have taken advantage of this system. it's perfectly legal to walk into a store and take every coin from the tray, even if it's unethical.

somebody should set out to see how much they can "make" in one day if they ran around to stores all day looking for these things.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
i wonder if hobos have taken advantage of this system. it's perfectly legal to walk into a store and take every coin from the tray, even if it's unethical.

somebody should set out to see how much they can "make" in one day if they ran around to stores all day looking for these things.

Quote by Tedward

thats because theres a microphone in all of them that lets the government listen in on your conversations man
"Take a Penny Leave a Penny" is a perfect example of Capitalism. The 1 cent coin is useless- most countries have weened it out- and it will eventually be weened out in North America- the thing is though- millions of them are in circulation so instead of just bringing on a "rounding" system the government waited or made the idea of the whole "take a penny leave a penny" idea. Within months every single shop in North America had bought one and the government made money off of a defunct coin- whether it was through profits of their creation, or taxing the millions of dollars the creator made.
Australia changed it ages ago, we just round it now.. I still have a jar full of 1 cent and 2 cent pieces that would give me about $10, 15 years ago, but are useless now.
Sigs are overrated.
Quote by dannyboy14
Australia changed it ages ago, we just round it now.. I still have a jar full of 1 cent and 2 cent pieces that would give me about $10, 15 years ago, but are useless now.

You can still exchange them.

Did you know?

That thousands of 1 & 2 cent coins were recycled into bronze medals for the 2000 Sydney olympic games?

Hmm, almost interesting.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
I live in Sweden, I've never seen nor heard of them
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Every time they try to get rid of them, the people from Lincoln's home state bitch. They're not happy with him just being on one denomination.
The purpose of take a penny leave a penny trays?
Spread disease.
But seriously I've never seen one.And yeah everyone has a jar of 1/2 c coins.I heard they are getting rid of the 5c coin here.It's a shame because two 5c coins glued togther was very similiar in size and weight to a 2 dollar coin.Close enough to fool a vending machine anyway...
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Spread disease.
But seriously I've never seen one.And yeah everyone has a jar of 1/2 c coins.I heard they are getting rid of the 5c coin here.It's a shame because two 5c coins glued togther was very similiar in size and weight to a 2 dollar coin.Close enough to fool a vending machine anyway...

1/2 c coins????????
what is the point?????
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Quote by Ian hawkins
Spread disease.

Really? Since when?
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by GArrigan
1/2 c coins????????
what is the point?????

He means one AND/OR two cent coins...

EDIT: I can see how you confused that
Quote by Tedward

Quite so, in Australia the cent still exists as a theoretical amount, but our smallest coin is 5c, so all cash transactions are just rounded off. You only pay the exact amount to the cent if you use your card.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Page 1 of 2