Page 1 of 2
so ugers

wat is your opinion on doctors playing god?
such as stem cell research etc, (there are other examples, i no). Some people argue that its good to try and make people better by doing it, but others say we should leave alone what mother nature has done.

if this has been done before, i will close it ASAP.

wat is your opinion on this topic?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
no such thing.

next question, please.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Did you mean to say playing abiogenesis?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Its been happening since the dawn of time...

The Spartans cast out all of their retardeds....
Makin love, makin love for two, makin love for two minutes... When its with me you only need two minutes... cuz I’m intense

Proud owner of the Anti Gnome Extermination Confederation.

Give me a yell if you wanna join!!!
Most of the people who are against that stuff are super religious and I think it's retarded.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Quote by Chris.Rock.Art
I like you and you are special

Quote by perry589
I don't wank. I auto fellatio.

We're goin down the shitter anyways. So why not?

Life is too short not to be enjoying it =).
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
the only real questionable part of the stem cell research is how the cells are harvested. if you have to kill babies to acquire the cells then no, that isn't something that shouldn't be allow no matter the reason. and yes, it is infanticide...

but canceling the program entirely is crap due to the fact that stem cells can also be obtained from the umbilical chord of a new born child. in that sense, each person has a number they're pretty much given at birth and they should be kept until later in life when that child can decide what to do with them...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by splamron
so ugers

wat is your opinion on doctors playing god?
such as stem cell research etc, (there are other examples, i no). Some people argue that its good to try and make people better by doing it, but others say we should leave alone what mother nature has done.

if this has been done before, i will close it ASAP.

wat is your opinion on this topic?

how do you define playing God? by the act of changing the natural order? then isn't simply being a doctor "playing god"

I don't have a problem with stem cell research specifically, if its for bettering the lives of human beings im for it
You are now blinking manually
oh i thought this thread was gonna be about the spore creator creator.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
I've noticed that the ones who say we should leave alone what mother nature has done aren't the ones with devastating genetic diseases.
I read somewhere that we're seriously messing up our gene pool because back in ye olden days natural selection weeded out the sick/diseased people. And now medical science is saving them; thus making those "sick/diseased/weaker" people live and procreate etc.

Pretty interesting.

I don't do the whole "playing God" debate though; I could careless either way to be honest. If something like stem cells are called into question; then everything under medical science should be; then there's people saying stuff like that is wrong as long as hey don't have a disease that would benefit from that stuff. Let scientists do their own thing; if it's cool, then yay, if it messes everything up; then I guess that's what we get for playing around with shit; that's what I say.
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
+1
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

Quote by splamron
Some people argue that its good to try and make people better by doing it, but others say we should leave alone what mother nature has done.
Show me these people so that I can laugh at them when they get ill.
you cant play god he isnt a guitar

and didn't create the world, or exist

also stem cells and what not is hardly "playing god" it's doing what human beings always do, being confronted with a problem and using their abilities to overcome them as best they can
People against furthering medical science and similar stuff (GM foods and the like) make me rage.

Seriously.

"Oh no we can't go changing around the genes of humans, it's wrong, we're playing god".

Remember when carrots were white? I didn't think so.

Also, TS where is your opinion? You can't start a thread like this and not voice an opinion, even if it is undecided.
I think that if you don't agree with something, then don't take part in it. Stop ruining the advances for the people that agree with it and those people in which it could be life saving.
Quote by soulflyV
Remember when carrots were white? I didn't think so.

That reminded me of that "Atheist's Nightmare" video where he talks about how God made the banana so humans could easily eat it, but actually it was humans themselves cultivating it over hundreds of years that made it easier to eat.

Quote by fretsonfire74
I think that if you don't agree with something, then don't take part in it.

So you're saying that no one should ever be allowed to debate or protest something?
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Last edited by BenFoffenbock at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by BenFoffenbock
That reminded me of that "Atheist's Nightmare" video where he talks about how God made the banana so humans could easily eat it, but actually it was humans themselves cultivating it over hundreds of years that made it easier to eat.

I heard something funny to do with that a little while ago.

Apparently "there are five ridges on our palms, and bananas have five ridges, so god must have made bananas for humans/monkeys", trying to cash in on the evolution theory.

Man I lol'd.

EDIT: Actually, it could be the same thing, I never saw it, but I did see a lot of people spouting this off as proof of the Christian god's existence.
Quote by BenFoffenbock

So you're saying that no one should ever be allowed to debate or protest something?

No. I'm saying that if it doesn't directly affect them then they should let it be. They aren't being forced to take part in it, so all they have to do is respect the actions and decisions of others.
Quote by fretsonfire74
No. I'm saying that if it doesn't directly affect them then they should let it be. They aren't being forced to take part in it, so all they have to do is respect the actions and decisions of others.

Who cares if it doesn't directly affect them? It affects others and people care about what happens to other people. Even though some people were in no way related to Terry Schiavo, they still protested and whatnot, even though her living or dying did not directly affect them.
Democracy dude.
Democracy.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Quote by BenFoffenbock
Who cares if it doesn't directly affect them? It affects others and people care about what happens to other people. Even though some people were in no way related to Terry Schiavo, they still protested and whatnot, even though her living or dying did not directly affect them.
Democracy dude.
Democracy.

Valid point, but people are intelligent enough to make their own decisions, and in my opinion, should be allowed to do so. If things like stem cell research are proven to have negative consequences, I'd be with the people opposing it. "People care about what happens to other people". I realise that, but if only good things are happening and it's improving their quality of life (e.g. Making clones of peoples organs so there's no risk of rejection) then why would people that "care" oppose it?
Quote by SmarterChild
I've noticed that the ones who say we should leave alone what mother nature has done aren't the ones with devastating genetic diseases.

+1 I'm sick and tired of decent medical procedures being dogged by the big "R" word.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by SmarterChild

+1
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by BringerOfMetal
Most of the people who are against that stuff are super religious and I think it's retarded.

Not neccessarily fundamentalists who are against it, for instance one of the infamous pro-lifers, who went around New York putting up giant posters of aborted foetuses saying 'This is what pro-choice does' he's an atheist. He just believes that life starts at conception, don't have to be religious to think that.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
This bs is why religion is harmful to the human race.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
im not for, or against this topic, ijust wanna see what you guys think
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

As long as we use stem cell research to create batches of awesome super soldiers I don't care
It's better than the alternative. That is, devolving into inbred retards, unfit to handle a spork.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
not everyones luck is great. shouldnt judge them for trying to fight out of their hell. pushing your luck on the other hand... well people should learn to appreciate as much as they can and then make decisions regarding this stuff.
Quote by theWallofYAWN
not everyones luck is great. shouldnt judge them for trying to fight out of their hell. pushing your luck on the other hand... well people should learn to appreciate as much as they can and then make decisions regarding this stuff.

wat

That didn't make any sense to me.
Stem cell research isn't playing god, it's trying to help people. "Mother nature" is just cause and effect, and it's not like we haven't done much worse things to the environment.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by BringerOfMetal

I'm guessing you're for abortion too? The murdering of babies.
Quote by Aaron the 4th
GAYS...we don't hate that your gay we hate that your proud of it
Page 1 of 2