Page 1 of 2
I love the marshall signature sound, but I don't want a high wattage. MG, VS and AVT series amps are out because I want tube, but I'm looking for about 30 watts. Doesn't matter what I play or what guitar I have, I just want to know what amps are low wattage, but still all tube. Price isn't an issue either.

So you want a low wattage Marshall that still has that Marshall crunch?

Well... Good luck with that...

Serioulsy man, i don't think anything like that even exists. Vox AC 30 is pretty good. Its 30watts and can get a good crunch.
What you play does matter!

Also there are two: The Marshall 1974X (18watter) and the 2061X (20watter). Marshalls reissues are OVERPRICED as hell. I'd recommend the 18watter, I have one myself (check my video demo) I built as a kit. These are MUCH higher quality and uses great parts and so on. A good one to check out are these:
www.ceriatone.com
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^I was thinking the 1974x, as well.

And ceriatone.

Wow.

Stock answers ftw.
Quote by Gabel
What you play does matter!

Also there are two: The Marshall 1974X (18watter) and the 2061X (20watter). Marshalls reissues are OVERPRICED as hell. I'd recommend the 18watter, I have one myself (check my video demo) I built as a kit. These are MUCH higher quality and uses great parts and so on. A good one to check out are these:
www.ceriatone.com

Sorry, what I meant by "what I play doesn't matter" is that I don't want to get specific at the moment, I just want to know what low wattage Marshall's are out there. Thanks alot for the help, mate.
But really what tones are you after? I'm guessing classic rock since you're looking at Marshall? Because that amp is by no means a high gian monster, it will do a great classic rock tone and some 80's hard rock, but not more.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

dont be that focussed on marhsall, best 30 watt amp is the roland cube, an alternative may would be the 30w spider 3 series amp
Definately classic rock and some blues. That's my main game. I play a bit of metal every now and then, but not nearly enough to base the choice of my amp around it. Something like a metal muff would be a better choice. I hate high gain amps.
Quote by Blackening
dont be that focussed on marhsall, best 30 watt amp is the roland cube, an alternative may would be the 30w spider 3 series amp

Quote by fretsonfire74
Definately classic rock and some blues. That's my main game. I play a bit of metal every now and then, but not nearly enough to base the choice of my amp around it. Something like a metal muff would be a better choice. I hate high gain amps.

What's your price point?
Quote by imgooley
What's your price point?

Not really fussed about price. Anything <$2000 AUD.
Quote by Blackening
why the facepalm? me so serious!

Because those amps are solid state, and although the roland cube is tolerable, I want tube and Marshall.
I'm guessing Marshall for the Marshall tone? Can you live without it saying Marshall on the front? Because there are so many amps out there that are closer to the old ones than the new ones!

Oh and I checked the prices, you can definetly afford the 18watt TMB. It would be a GREAT choice for what you play. Have a listen to my 18watt and you'll get what I mean.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I'd get the Ceriatone over the Lionheart IMO. It's what you're looking for (heck it's even a Marshall!) and the quality will be much better!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Laney's foreign priceyness + Australian priceyness = not a good idea Goolz...

A used JSX 212 combo sounds like a plan, pretty versatile, and amazin for it's size and price. See if you can lay your hands on a Blackstar Artisan.

Chris.
Quote by akack
Laney's foreign priceyness + Australian priceyness = not a good idea Goolz...

A used JSX 212 combo sounds like a plan, pretty versatile, and amazin for it's size and price. See if you can lay your hands on a Blackstar Artisan.

Chris.

Those were links to an Aussie site.

I was stunned too. The prices are almost analogous to the prices in the US for those amps.
I'm looking for around 30 watts, but I want something loud enough to jam with a drummer. Those 5 watt amps are out of the question.
Quote by imgooley
Those were links to an Aussie site.

I was stunned too. The prices are almost analogous to the prices in the US for those amps.

oic

Try out the Lionheart then.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I'm looking for around 30 watts, but I want something loud enough to jam with a drummer. Those 5 watt amps are out of the question.

Well the 18watters are more than enough for that. I have to attenuate mine when I play with my band (1 drummer, one other guittarist with a Laney TT50 and a bassist with a 350W Hartke) so it's more than enough.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by fretsonfire74

Look on that site I posted. There's a Marshall Bluesbreaker combo for 2500 AUD that you might be able to get them to move on, if you call them.
Or just get the Ceriatone... SEriously, it's about $1000AUD or $1500. Quality is higher than the Marshall too (the new ones have a lot of trouble with reliability)

Also the Bluesbreaker is A LOT louder than most 30W amps out there. It's VERY loud, as loud as a 50W Marshall anyway.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Methinks Gabe likes the Ceriatone.

Just my observation anyway
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Marshall did a DSL201 combo when the JCM2000's were first released, which is a 20 watt all tube 1x12. They're out of production now & not common but would be worth a look if you can find one. Or they still do a DSL401, an all tube 40 watt 1x12
Last edited by anguskilminster at Sep 7, 2008,
Marshall's JTM-45 is 30 watts. But it is hell-loud for a 30 watter. Perhaps look into a 1974x or a Ceriatone copy?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by syk3d
Methinks Gabe likes the Ceriatone.

Just my observation anyway

Well I haven't tried them. I do however own an 18watter. And I love it. It's actually my all time favourite amp. For this guy an 18watter is the best choice. Ceriatone uses nice parts and the quality of wiring is very good.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

If price isn't an issue, I'd suggest an 18 watter, 20 watter, or a JTM45 (about 35 watts).

Look at Ceriatone for the price effective option, but if you can spend more ($2000+), check out Metropoulos (which is what I use), Germino, Soultone, Reinhardt and Roccaforte.

But here is a page with some clips of what the JTM45 sounds like. It similar sounding to the 18 watter, tube rectified, so you still get that low end sag, but fatter and cleaner character.

http://www.germinoamps.com/classic45.htm

Here is a page for the 18 watter.

http://www.reinhardtamps.com/files/The18.html

And also check out these guys.

http://www.soultoneamps.com/

http://www.roccaforteamps.com/

And the Metropoulos site is currently down, but the url is www.metroamp.com

But yeah, if you want the best vintage Marshall tone, you'll have to go boutique. They're expensive, but definitely worth it. I mean, I guess you can go for the handwired Marshall series as well, they get pretty good press these days, sound great and run about the same price or slightly cheaper as the good replicas but I've heard aren't quite as up to par in terms of build quality or component quality.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by al112987
If price isn't an issue, I'd suggest an 18 watter, 20 watter, or a JTM45 (about 35 watts).

Look at Ceriatone for the price effective option, but if you can spend more, look at Metropoulos, Germino, Reinhardt, Roccaforte and Soultone.

But here is a page with some clips of what the JTM45 sounds like. It similar sounding to the 18 watter, tube rectified, so you still get that low end sag, but fatter and cleaner character.

http://www.germinoamps.com/classic45.htm

Roccaforte is win.
i have an 18 watt marshall head clone i had made for me... sounds really nice awsome for blues only thins is no reverb but i decent delay pedal can fix that... check this out...

www.18watt.com you can get directons on how to build and probably peopel willing to even make you one or sell you one... have fun and good luck
Thanks to everyone. I'm going to try and look into most (if not all of these amps) depending on availability etc. I won't have the money for a while, so I have plenty of time to try them before making a choice and not rush into anything, that's why I'm doing it so early. I'm still (and always will be) open to suggestions but it looks like a Peavey JSX now, or possible a Ceriatone.

But I put a Ceriatone together myself don't I? So I won't be able to try it out?
Quote by Highwaytohell
How much are Traynor YCV40s in australia? because that sounds PERFECT for you.

they dont exist in australia...
Quote by Final !mpact
So you want a low wattage Marshall that still has that Marshall crunch?

Well... Good luck with that...

Serioulsy man, i don't think anything like that even exists. Vox AC 30 is pretty good. Its 30watts and can get a good crunch.

ummmm.... remember the JTM45? it was only 30 watts.

i'd suggest the JTM 45 with either a 2X12 or 4X12 cab. a brand new reissue would be about 150 AD$ over your limit, but you could hunt around eby and guitar stores for a used model.
~or~
check out Ceriatone. they make a goooood clone.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by fretsonfire74
Thanks to everyone. I'm going to try and look into most (if not all of these amps) depending on availability etc. I won't have the money for a while, so I have plenty of time to try them before making a choice and not rush into anything, that's why I'm doing it so early. I'm still (and always will be) open to suggestions but it looks like a Peavey JSX now, or possible a Ceriatone.

But I put a Ceriatone together myself don't I? So I won't be able to try it out?

No, you can order the complete Ceriatone amp. Completely built for you. If you really want a Marshall sound, don't get the Peavey, they sound completely different.
Marshall 20/20 power amp and a JMP pre-amp. Seems to be exactly what you want, even though its not the best for your situation.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Page 1 of 2