Hi,
I own a pod xt live. If you've read any of my other posts, you'll know I was originally looking for a tube amp. However, now I want to make the most of my pod xt live tone and combine it with a speaker, instead of an amp (I think ). The mackie's look pricey but the behringer looks about right.
The advantages of using a PA speaker would be:
- would be able to run a drum machine and music through it (with the use of a small mixer)
- cheaper than an amp
- more portable
- makes the most of what I already have
Any advice on types of speakers/ whether it's a good idea or not are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I have a floor pod XT live too
And not being funny it doesn't sound as good through a PA than through a guitar amp :S
I thought it sounds really compressed (sort of...)

Besides if you're giging it surely the venue would have a far better PA than you could afford? (No offense)
Gear:

Guitars:
Fender Highway One
Cort Electro Acoustic Jobby
Cort Curbow 5

Amp:
Fender Twin
Quote by CaiMartlew
I have a floor pod XT live too
And not being funny it doesn't sound as good through a PA than through a guitar amp :S
I thought it sounds really compressed (sort of...)

Besides if you're giging it surely the venue would have a far better PA than you could afford? (No offense)

No offence taken,
I was thinking more of practise than gigging. Although rightly as you said they'd have a better PA...
I guess you'd suggest a tube combo amp or something?
If I was going to get an amp, it would be a tube combo. (Probably)
PA's like your suggesting, or any PA's really arent made to sound good with POD's specifficlly, your still going to sound better with a similar priced guitar amp id say. However, if your set on a PA, the mackie's are apparently very good, but your right... expensive.
All in all, i say, if your getting a PA, i think only a good one (mackie) will sound decent with the POD, but then you may as well get a guitar amp at the same price, so 'catch 22' kinda thing :S
imo - i say get a guitar amp

(tube combo ;-))
Thats a tough call.

I would agree a PA is much more convenient, and in a band situation, since you would already have the PA provided, if members of the band didn't have one, your band is 10000x less likely to disband over a shorter amount of time.

I've heard quite a few good tones from people running POD's directly into a PA for live sound although...If i were considering that route, I do believe I'd look for a used Vetta II. It's so much easier to dial in an amp than program a pod for bedroom and then live volumes.

Like I just said, with a PA, you're going to have to adjust your pod for both practice and live volumes as certain frequencies become more dominant at certain volumes.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Thats a tough call.

I would agree a PA is much more convenient, and in a band situation, since you would already have the PA provided, if members of the band didn't have one, your band is 10000x less likely to disband over a shorter amount of time.

I've heard quite a few good tones from people running POD's directly into a PA for live sound although...If i were considering that route, I do believe I'd look for a used Vetta II. It's so much easier to dial in an amp than program a pod for bedroom and then live volumes.

Like I just said, with a PA, you're going to have to adjust your pod for both practice and live volumes as certain frequencies become more dominant at certain volumes.

Far points. Maybe use the pod xt live for practising (maybe through my small pratise amp) and recording little riffs, and use a tube amp for live situations?
Seems to me like a good combination. I then wouldn't have to crank the amp for practise situations.
In which case, I return to what amps to research/buy aha.
All the above is pretty solid information. I ran my POD through a PA for awhile, but prefer the tone from tubes. Alot of this is going to be subjective. Your going to have to try it with several different amps. My POD doesn't sound the same on any of my amps and I usually have to do some tweaking after I plug it in to something different.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by BarnesGuitar
Far points. Maybe use the pod xt live for practising (maybe through my small pratise amp) and recording little riffs, and use a tube amp for live situations?
Seems to me like a good combination. I then wouldn't have to crank the amp for practise situations.
In which case, I return to what amps to research/buy aha.

I would just go through, make patches for effects and run it through an amps effects loop. It's a better effects processor than amp modeler.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio