What exactly is a tremolo system?
I know that they are related to the whammy-bars on the guitars, but what exactly is the difference between an ordinary whammy-system and a tremolo?
I heard it helps keep the strings in tune, anything more?
A tremolo bridge allows you to raise or lower the bridge with a whaamy bar. They're harder to setup compared to a fixed bridge and (the bad ones) go out of tune with a single dive bomb.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by lokster
A tremolo bridge allows you to raise or lower the bridge with a whaamy bar. They're harder to setup compared to a fixed bridge and (the bad ones) go out of tune with a single dive bomb.

So in comparision to a normal whammy system, you can raise the pitch much higher?
WHat exactly makes a tremolo unique from normal whammy, sorry, I'm such a n00b xP
Quote by Djeikop
So in comparision to a normal whammy system, you can raise the pitch much higher?
WHat exactly makes a tremolo unique from normal whammy, sorry, I'm such a n00b xP

Whammy system=Tremolo

if it helps you remember, a tremolo bridge can be raised and lowered with a whaamy bar, a fixed bridge cant =p
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by lokster
You can't perform dive-bombs with fixed bridges.

And a tremolo system is another name for a whammy system. They both do the same thing.
yea, there the same thing, justdont go around calling them wammy systems cuz that labels you as a guitar hero noob
Tremolo system = Whammy bar = Vibrato.

Tremolo is actually a wrong name, since it's a fluctuation in volume rather than pitch, which is actually vibrato. Yeah, it's confusing.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Call it a vibrato instead of a tremolo, people here will flame you for calling it tremolo (well some of them)

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Haha, ok, sorry guys xP
I finally get it: the tremolo IS the whammy system (and it should vibrato, okey dokey :P)
Then I would like to ask another question: What differences the new systems, like the floyd rose tremolo, from old ones like on the Fenders?
Floyd Rose tremolos I think are designed for things like divebombs, Dimebag squeals etc, while those vintage trems on Fenders are just for a softer kind of vibrato.
Quote by leephan
Floyd Rose tremolos I think are designed for things like divebombs, Dimebag squeals etc, while those vintage trems on Fenders are just for a softer kind of vibrato.

Ah, oki, I assumed something like that. Thank you!
Quote by leephan

To expand on that, Floyd Rose tremolo systems work by locking the strings at both the bridge (i.e. the actual tremolo unit itself) and at the nut; hence the strings won't slip out of place after your tremolo stunts and will return to the exact same position it was beforehand. Technically, it will be at the exact same tuning but there will be a small percentage of it being out (like 0.1%). The disadvantage of a FR trem is that there are loads of shit quality ones which will wear out due to the soft alloys it was made of, and also to change tunings require you to sort out the springs at the back of the guitar which takes up huge amounts of time and hassle. Use the search function or google it if you want more info.
Don't call the tremolo a vibrato. Whammys have been called tremolo's for years and years. Everyone knows what it means, the only people who give a toss about incorrect terminology are pedants. No one calls a whammy/tremolo bar a vibrato bar without sounding like a complete cretin.

It's a tremolo. Who cares about the technicaly definition when EVERYONE calls it a tremolo anyway. Language adapts. Trying to revert is just pointless.
Quote by StiltonCheese
Don't call the tremolo a vibrato. Whammys have been called tremolo's for years and years. Everyone knows what it means, the only people who give a toss about incorrect terminology are pedants. No one calls a whammy/tremolo bar a vibrato bar without sounding like a complete cretin.

It's a tremolo. Who cares about the technicaly definition when EVERYONE calls it a tremolo anyway. Language adapts. Trying to revert is just pointless.

I've heard Steve Vai call it a 'vibrato bar'...

hmm, 'StiltonCheese' or Steve Vai, whose opinion counts more?

tough one...
out of here
Basically, a tremolo allows one to hit notes in what is known as the "extended universe notes". Basically, this means notes H to M. You can already hit Hb/G# on a normal guitar, but one equipped with a tremolo may delve into the extended spectrum of notes. This extra octave of notes sound very strange, and is not constructed the same as the regular octave. For instance, there is a tone and three quarters between H and I, and many other differences. The "psychedelic" sound attributed to the 60s and early 70s is a result of bands using the "extended notes universe". Pink Floyd heavily employed it during the Syd Barrett days, and less so as time went on after Barrett's departure. It also allows you to do crappy divebombs and things like that.
Quote by inflatablefilth
I've heard Steve Vai call it a 'vibrato bar'...

hmm, 'StiltonCheese' or Steve Vai, whose opinion counts more?

tough one...

Yeah, him being a famous really makes his opinion count more...

Opinions are equal regardless of fame.
All opinions are not 'equal'. That is a myth. The opinions of white trailer trash and Steven Hawking on quantum physics are not going to be equally-valid opinions. The white trailer trash has an equal right to have an opinion on quantum physics as Steven Hawking, clearly, Steven Hawking's opinion is far more valid. In the same way, the opinion of Steve Vai, who is an avid user and proponent of tremolo-equipped guitars, has an opinion on trems which is more valid than your average guitar user. I'm not saying you're sh*t or anything (I'm not a fan of Vai, as it happens), but I can totally see why Vai's opinion on this matter would be more valid than yours, and it's nothing to do with his fame.
Quote by Martin Scott
All opinions are not 'equal'. That is a myth. The opinions of white trailer trash and Steven Hawking on quantum physics are not going to be equally-valid opinions. The white trailer trash has an equal right to have an opinion on quantum physics as Steven Hawking, clearly, Steven Hawking's opinion is far more valid. In the same way, the opinion of Steve Vai, who is an avid user and proponent of tremolo-equipped guitars, has an opinion on trems which is more valid than your average guitar user. I'm not saying you're sh*t or anything (I'm not a fan of Vai, as it happens), but I can totally see why Vai's opinion on this matter would be more valid than yours, and it's nothing to do with his fame.

Yes, but Steven Hawkins has a bucketful of academic qualifications which is why his opinion counts more than someone who doesn't. That's the difference. My opinions on quantum mechanics are of equal weight to that of, say, George W Bush.

Steve Vai, as far as I'm aware, doesn't have any official academic qualifications. Him being better at guitar doesn't give his opinion on guitar parts terminology any more weight. The fact remains - the vast majority of the world will refer to it as a tremolo arm. Only very few refer to it as a vibrato arm.

Besides, even if he does have musical academic qualifications that just makes his opinion on music carry more weight. Doesn't affect whether his opinion on certain terminology is more correct. In that respect, his opinion is equal to everyone else.

The fact that Leo Fender created it and called it a tremolo arm means that this is what it's called. His choice of terminology may have been misguided, but that's what he called the invention and that's what it's name is and always will be.
being famous doesn't change the importance of an opinion, being more skilled and educated, however, does
EDIT: just because the majority is wrong doesn't make it any more right.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Last edited by ac/dc752 at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by StiltonCheese
The fact that Leo Fender created it and called it a tremolo arm means that this is what it's called. His choice of terminology may have been misguided, but that's what he called the invention and that's what it's name is and always will be.

So by extension we should be able to call other kinds of vibrato systems by their proper names (Bigsby and Kahler come to mind) since they're not invented by Fender?
I actually think everybody should agree on changing it to the right word because I like things to be proper and the word 'tremolo' is just wrong, wrong, wrong. As is Fender's (that guy again, dammit) 'vibrato' on his amps. But I'm not gonna do anything about it. I usually just sit on the fence on the issue and choose to refer to my FR by name rather than pick a side.
Quote by StiltonCheese
Yeah, him being a famous really makes his opinion count more...

Opinions are equal regardless of fame.

ok, so why is Leo Fender's opinion on what the thing should be called any more valid than anyone elses? because he invented it? I thought all opinions were equal? does that mean I can call it a tomato?

I think if the thing doesn't actually create a tremelo effect, but a vibrato effect, then there's nothing wrong with calling it a vibrato bar.. regardless of what Leo Fender decided to call it...

all opinions are equal? so why are you getting so upset about what people call a little piece of metal? why not take all that pompous self-importance and do something useful with it?
out of here
Quote by Martin Scott

What does Hawking think about tremelos?

Quote by inflatablefilth
ok, so why is Leo Fender's opinion on what the thing should be called any more valid than anyone elses? because he invented it? I thought all opinions were equal? does that mean I can call it a tomato?

If you invented it, yes.

When we're talking about inventions we're not talking about opinions. He called his invention a tremolo unit. That's what it's called. It's not called a tremolo unit in Leo Fender's 'opinion' it's called it in his ****ing patent application.

Opinion on whether it's called a tremolo unit is moot because it's an undisputed fact that this is what his invention is called. It's like telling someone their children's names aren't what it says on the Birth Certificate. What he called is creation is what it's called. Full stop.

Pompous self importance? What the **** are you on about? Stop using 'insults' if you don't understand them. I'm being neither pompous nor self important. You're the one who's trying to establish some sort of heirachy by saying my opinion is irrelevant.

Steve Vai being a talented musician doesn't affect that at all.
Let me help you out.

1. You can call it tremolo, that's the proper name. Anybody who makes fun of you for saying that is a retard.

2. There's alot of tremolos, although whammy's are more geared to a double locking tremolo (like a floyd rose, kahler, Edge's)

3. Vibrato is two things. Your finger wiggling the string a little bit, or a small type of tremolo that only changes the pitch a little bit.

What a whammy does, is make the pitch of a guitar either go up, or down at a constant rate. You can "spank" it to get weird sounds. Basicly experiment.

and the MOST not all double locking tremolo's are Floyd Roses. Please don't call every single one you see a "floyd rose". So many noobs do that. Ibanez has Edge's, and Edge pros etc.

Sometimes guitars will have licensed floyd roses, but Originals are the best.

Floyd Rose is a brand, not any bridge with a bar on it. Hope I helped.
Quote by nan0
and the MOST not all double locking tremolo's are Floyd Roses. Please don't call every single one you see a "floyd rose". So many noobs do that. Ibanez has Edge's, and Edge pros etc.

Ibanez' Edge is itself a Licensed Floyd Rose, is it not? The original and best Edge from the 80s/early-90s is, for certain.