Page 1 of 3
Of course it's all down to opinion and personal taste, but my bass-playing friend in Year 12 turned me on to some great music by Lostprophets and John 5, whom most of my mates never gave a chance because of photos of ^ those guys.

this leads me to the suspicion that there are many artists out there whose musical substance is overlooked because of image...whether they propagate it themselves or not...

wondering if you guys knew of any others...?
loads of people i know don't like rammstein because they are german
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Well, if they have a retarded looking image (i.e. lots of make-up, stupid hair etc.), it's fair to skip on them.
um.....

hanson and the jonas brothers...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
jone bros

dey is aesome
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Alot of people who I know hate malmsteen because he's fat. And they've never heard one note of his music.

LEAVE MALMSTEEN ALONE!!!
i hate bands that got big because of their parents' links to the industry and did essentially no hard work compared to other bands. (e.g operator please, metro station... etc)
Sure some people who overlook bands and artists because of their image are wrong and end up liking them, but most of the time they are right, and will not like their music.
Nickleback. They are just another crap rock band, people should be used to that by now.
Quote by Jordmo
some people don't like slipknot just because of their masks.

which is totally unfair..you should hate them because of the aural tumors they give.
Parkway Drive, a lot of metal elitists bracket them as metalcore and won't give them a chance, but they're an awesome band who stray away from riffs typical of the genre and bring with them an individual sound
ohai little sig.
Dragonforce because Sam Totman is a d!ck

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i don't like In Flames because they are not a melodic death metal band any more, if you ask me i think they are pop-metal
that thing with operator please/metro station is whack...
though i guess they might get sheepfaced if Machine Head ever ask them how many gigs they've done?
Most people just don't get Mindless Self Indulgence before they hear them because of image/the message they carry. They're just not understood.

And when people do hear them it's hit and miss. You'll either love them or hate them because they sound pathetic and childish.

I love 'em though.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
i hate 99% of the bands that scream. its terrible, i dont see why people do it and it ruins a song just about every time. if i can understand it i'll give it a chance but i would rather a band put out instrumentals than scream anyday...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
whats operator pleases link with the industry thats from a family?
i wish they had never gotten big i cant stand em but most radio stations love em
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
Most people treat me weirdly and call me 'gay' when I tell them I'm a fan of Classical Music or Johnny Cash, even though most of them have only heard 'Ring of Fire'.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Listen to Just a Song about Ping Pong. Now say Operator Please got signed because of talent. Yeah, thought so.
Quote by jaffawoman
Most people treat me weirdly and call me 'gay' when I tell them I'm a fan of Classical Music or Johnny Cash, even though most of them have only heard 'Ring of Fire'.

+1. i had a music appreciation class a few semesters ago and i told the teacher on the 3rd day that we should skip to classical music and stay there the entire semester. she got mad cause she thought i was making fun of it and the rest of the class laughed. i told them i wasn't kidding at all and the teacher smiled and the class shut up. i aced that class btw...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
i know some people who don't like dragonforce cause they are in envy.
and their songs sound the same to most people
Quote by Jordmo
some people don't like slipknot just because of their masks.

They should really give them a chance.
It takes lots of talent to scream incoherently into a Microphone!
Quote by Demonikk
Parkway Drive, a lot of metal elitists bracket them as metalcore and won't give them a chance, but they're an awesome band who stray away from riffs typical of the genre and bring with them an individual sound

Parkway are metalcore dude, don't try to deny it lol.

The best description I heard for them was 'hardcore kids playing metal for hardcore kids'.
A U S S I E
Trivium and DragonForce. To be fair, DragonForce aren't very... well, serious as it were. But they're OK as cheese metal.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by kriss08
lots a people dont like blink and green day dont know why

I don't like Blink cause of their sound.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by kriss08
lots a people dont like blink and green day dont know why

I never got into Green Day but I LOVE Blink.

The soundtrack to my teenage years has, and always will be Blink-182.
A U S S I E
i woulda thought it would be impossible for anyone to hate trivium when their frontman seems like such a humble guy in person...as far as i've seen anyway...
Quote by manbearpig_al.g
i woulda thought it would be impossible for anyone to hate trivium when their frontman seems like such a humble guy in person...as far as i've seen anyway...

Aha. I gave Trivium a try but they never stuck on me. I have no idea who the frontman is, but if it's the guy I'm thinking of, he just looks like an angry Asian guy.
A U S S I E
Quote by manbearpig_al.g

he might seem huble.. but that still doesnt make him a good musician
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
People don't like Blink because they only play power chords and Tom's voice is whiny.
People don't like Green Day because American Idiot was really boring, and cos they consider themselves to be punks, which tr00 p0nx frown upon.
People don't like DragonForce because all their songs sound similar, and because they can't shred the way Herman and Sam can, so they accuse them of speeding up their songs. Legend has it that they're also sloppy live.

I actually like all of those to some extent. Blink 182 are one of my favourite bands, but I accept the fact that everyone hates them.
Quote by -Ru-
They should really give them a chance.
It takes lots of talent to scream incoherently into a Microphone!

Dude, whether or not you like them, Corey Taylor can ****ing well sing. I'm not a massive fan by any means, I barely listen to them, but each member of that band is talented at what they do.

Quote by fishbass
Listen to Just a Song about Ping Pong. Now say Operator Please got signed because of talent. Yeah, thought so.

Dude, listen to their bloody live show, it's terrible!
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by magvol
he might seem huble.. but that still doesnt make him a good musician

And what makes you think he isn't?

Just because you don't like a bands sound, doesn't mean they're all horrible musicians.

Dislike the music, not the musician.
A U S S I E
Quote by manbearpig_al.g

Most people hate trivium cos of how maintsream they went....and the fact they said they were the 'next metallica', that rattled a few cages. And I recall the ' we'll do in two albums what Metallica did in 6'. That pissed a few people off. I always have, and always will love Trivium.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Page 1 of 3