Page 1 of 2
Right, so over the past month my desires for a new amp have been fluctuating, so I think that if I can just be as detailed as possible, I might be able to move on to the next step.

Amp must have:

1. Decent clean, excellent distortion (high gain is a must, although clarity is wanted as well), imagine for rhythm something close to John Petrucci, Opeth...something thick and heavy, and lead tone in the same vain as Satch, Gilbert, Petrucci...something shreddy but will do a great rhythm sound basically.

2. Needs to be a Tube amp, preferably no more than 50 watts, I've got a Valveking 100W 212 at the moment and that's just a bit too much, mainly because it doesn't sound good no matter how loud or quiet it is.

3. Ideally, I'd like it to be a head and 2x12 cab, I know, I know the whole "You don't need that" argument will pop up, but in my eyes, I prefer the sound of a 2x12 combo to a 1x12, and at least with a head and 2x12, if I wanted another head in the future, it'll work out cheaper/easier for me just to add that head onto it, as opposed to having two 2x12 combo's.

I've been looking at Laney TT's, mainly due to the 3 channels, although trying them out round here is so difficult, but I've been able to get a deal from my boss where he'd be able to order me a TT50H and Laney 2x12 cab for £650, which to me is a pretty sweet deal, but will that amp do modern?

Any other recommendations are welcome.

EDIT: Sorry, before anyone wastes their time, I'm really not a huge fan of Marshalls, least of all JVMs, so, yeah.
Funny words.
Last edited by I_Am_Iron_Man at Sep 7, 2008,
If you want to sound like Petrucci check this out.

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm

I have no doubt that Satch and alike all have similar set ups.

What you're looking for is very hard to find but the closest and cheapest option I've seen is a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier. But thats just my opinion.
Gear:

Guitars:
Fender Highway One
Cort Electro Acoustic Jobby
Cort Curbow 5

Amp:
Fender Twin
What's your max range?
I'd say a Peavey XXX or JSX with an attenuator
I think Laney do a 50-watt GH head? Not too sure on Laneys, but the GH100L head was very versatile when I played it
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by Demonikk
I'd say a Peavey XXX or JSX with an attenuator
I think Laney do a 50-watt GH head? Not too sure on Laneys, but the GH100L head wavery versatile when I played it

They make a GH50L, but it's 1 channel.
Quote by CaiMartlew
If you want to sound like Petrucci check this out.

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm

I have no doubt that Satch and alike all have similar set ups.

What you're looking for is very hard to find but the closest and cheapest option I've seen is a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier. But thats just my opinion.

If £1,200 is a cheap option for you, then I think we should switch bank balances.

To answer the others, my max budget would be around £800, but if I try an amp for £600 and then one for £800, I'd want there to be more than a marginal difference, which I've noticed with some amps in the past...

And the GH's do come in a 50W version, but I'm inclined to the TT due to versatility, and hopefully more gain, because I might be wrong, but when I think of GH, I think of vintagey sorta tone.

EDIT: To muel333 below me, you're an idiot.
Funny words.
Quote by muel333
anything marshall

Op specifically stated he did not want marshall.

As to answer: Peavey JSX.

Also, what are the prices on the Euro brands over there? They cost a bundle over here.
Quote by imgooley
Op specifically stated he did not want marshall.

As to answer: Peavey JSX.

Also, what are the prices on the Euro brands over there? They cost a bundle over here.

It varies really, Marshall's are, as they are all over the world, horrendously overpriced, JVM heads are at about £900, which is roughly $1500? Way too much for what you get IMO.

ENGL's are pretty strangely priced, on Thomann, they've doubled in priced in the past 6 months. Screamer's are about £750, which is $1300 I reckon, which is actually what they're priced up at Musician's Friend, so go figure.

Laney's, the TT head I'm looking at is around £500 new price, which strangely enough, the cheapest here works out as the most bumped up stateside, around $1500 over there I think?
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
It varies really, Marshall's are, as they are all over the world, horrendously overpriced, JVM heads are at about £900, which is roughly $1500? Way too much for what you get IMO.

ENGL's are pretty strangely priced, on Thomann, they've doubled in priced in the past 6 months. Screamer's are about £750, which is $1300 I reckon, which is actually what they're priced up at Musician's Friend, so go figure.

Laney's, the TT head I'm looking at is around £500 new price, which strangely enough, the cheapest here works out as the most bumped up stateside, around $1500 over there I think?

Yes, Laney is horrendously over priced over here.

The TT head is almost $1600.

Which is a shame, because they seem like great amps, especially for what I do.

But it seems that Laney is the way to go, anyway. I thought the JSX would be a good fit, mainly because it's around $1500-1600 around here, WAY cheaper used.
Orange tiny terror one channel but pretty ballsy
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Quote by imgooley
Yes, Laney is horrendously over priced over here.

The TT head is almost $1600.

Which is a shame, because they seem like great amps, especially for what I do.

But it seems that Laney is the way to go, anyway. I thought the JSX would be a good fit, mainly because it's around $1500-1600 around here, WAY cheaper used.

IMO, Laneys are substandard. The only reason people buy them here is because everything else is hideously overpriced.
Quote by Horlicks
IMO, Laneys are substandard. The only reason people buy them here is because everything else is hideously overpriced.

Ahhh, this coming from a Laney user as well...

What would you recommend?
Funny words.
Quote by Horlicks

Kinda like Peavey for the most part over here.

But the GH50L seems like a hell of an amp for Black Sabbathy, Weedeatery, Electric Wizardy doom/sludge, though.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Ahhh, this coming from a Laney user as well...

What would you recommend?

That's the thing, there isn't much else. Unless you're willing to save a couple hundred more.
Quote by SG thrasher
What a dumb thing to say.

How so? I said IMO, why do you give a damn?
Quote by Horlicks

You're really really stupid.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

You're really really stupid.

Why would I insult Laney just for the sake of it when I own two? They sound fizzy, and yet muddy at the same time. The cleans are the only good thing about them.
Quote by Horlicks
Why would I insult Laney just for the sake of it when I own two? They sound fizzy, and yet muddy at the same time. The cleans are the only good thing about them.
....You just did it again.

And, no.

Mine doesn't sound like that. None of the clips i've heard sound like that. That was a stupid thing to say, wasn't it?
Quote by MrCarrot
....You just did it again.

And, no.

Mine doesn't sound like that. None of the clips i've heard sound like that. That was a stupid thing to say, wasn't it?

Jesus Christ, you Laney threaders are impossible to deal with. I say one thing that differs with your opinion and you bring your whole clique to swoop down. I swear, you're like a bunch of gossiping little teenage girls.

You forget that I actually own the amp. Clips don't mean shit compared to the real thing.
Quote by Horlicks
Jesus Christ, you Laney threaders are impossible to deal with. I say one thing that differs with your opinion and you bring your whole clique to swoop down. I swear, you're like a bunch of gossiping little teenage girls.

You forget that I actually own the amp. Clips don't mean shit compared to the real thing.
I think the biggest contradiction in this, is that you know girls?
Come on now, be nice. It's his bloody opinion, deal with it. All amps have their pros and cons.

TS, I dunno if you can get it, but the Traynor YCV50 Custom Blue is a pretty sweet ass amp. Although... are you in the UK? 'Cause that might be a problem...
Quote by SG thrasher
Bahaha, mine doesn't.

Maybe I just have better ears, or better taste in tone, but I can't help but think of Laneys as 'Stepping-stone' amps to better ones. Hence why I'm upgrading.
Quote by Horlicks
Maybe I just have better ears, or better taste in tone, but I can't help but think of Laneys as 'Stepping-stone' amps to better ones. Hence why I'm upgrading.
Or you're arrogant and wrong.
Quote by MrCarrot
Or you're arrogant and wrong.

That must be it, I don't like Laney, therefore I'm wrong. That's some mighty fine logic you got there.

Calm down, ladies. Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks.
Quote by imgooley

Calm down, ladies. Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks.

Exactly the reason I said IMO. Apparently, MrCarrot and Baz can't grasp the concept of 'opinion'.
Quote by Horlicks
Exactly the reason I said IMO. Apparently, MrCarrot and Baz can't grasp the concept of 'opinion'.
'Opinions' can be seen as having different weight when you use arrogance and blanket statements to convey it.

You're basing your entire argument off the fact that you said 'IMO' with the statement 'Laneys are substandard' which is not a matter of opinion, it's either a fact or it is not. They're not substandard amps, they're half-handbuilt, have good quality parts, are sold at a reasonable price and - here's the subjective part - good tone.
Quote by MrCarrot
'Opinions' can be seen as having different weight when you use arrogance and blanket statements to convey it.

You're basing your entire argument off the fact that you said 'IMO' with the statement 'Laneys are substandard' which is not a matter of opinion, it's either a fact or it is not. They're not substandard amps, they're half-handbuilt, have good quality parts, are sold at a reasonable price and - here's the subjective part -good tone.

Arguable.

If they are built so well, why are there so many stories of VC and LC series breaking down? Why has my VC broke down for that matter?

You can have an opinion that something is 'substandard' whether by opinion on tone, or otherwise. To some people, the Peavey Valveking is substandard, to others it is fantastic.
Only for Horlicks defense, every here seems to be in love with the classic 30. I had a very similar amp, the Delta Blues, and guess what. I fell out of love with that thing fast. Not everyone likes the same gear guys. Suck it up and deal with it. The same thing Horlicks said about the Laney being a "stepping stone" is probably true. He has one and is looking to upgrade. To probably an amp twice the cost of his Laney, so guess what, to him it's an upgrade, and he is totally entitled to his opinion. Mr Carrot, wow, you really got bitter there just because someone didn't like your amp. Hate my amps, see if I give a rat's ars. I wouldn't say you don't know any girls because of it, in fact, I don't care if you do or don't, be gay if you like, I still don't care. But have some respect for other people's opinions, this is a forum. Thank god we don't have the same opinions all the time, thank god.
Quote by Horlicks
Arguable.

If they are built so well, why are there so many stories of VC and LC series breaking down? Why has my VC broke down for that matter?

You can have an opinion that something is 'substandard' whether by opinion on tone, or otherwise. To some people, the Peavey Valveking is substandard, to others it is fantastic.
The Valveking is substandard because of cheap construction, flimsy components, bad stock parts and ultimately average tone - but that said, a friend's band, with his valveking, got a rather amazing recorded tone.

there are 'so many stories' because you read the many many reviews and pick out all the bad things - a typical aspect of human nature - because they stand out more. Most of them are fine, as with anything.

^ If you'd read what I put you'd see why I disagree with the basis of his opinion
I_Am_Iron_Man: Sorry for messing up your thread, the ''Laney Cunts'' do this pretty often.

MrCarrot: You're a twat. Are you honestly saying that you would not upgrade from your ''Substandard'' VC30 given the chance and the money? Grow up already.
Quote by Horlicks
I_Am_Iron_Man: Sorry for messing up your thread, the ''Laney Cunts'' do this pretty often.

MrCarrot: You're a twat.
You know you've won when people resort to name-calling.
Quote by MrCarrot
The Valveking is substandard because of cheap construction, flimsy components, bad stock parts and ultimately average tone - but that said, a friend's band, with his valveking, got a rather amazing recorded tone.

there are 'so many stories' because you read the many many reviews and pick out all the bad things - a typical aspect of human nature - because they stand out more. Most of them are fine, as with anything.

^ If you'd read what I put you'd see why I disagree with the basis of his opinion

Then agree to disagree and stop whining.

If you like your amp, good. If he doesn't, well bully for him.

It could be that it just doesn't do what he wants it to.

I likened Laney to Peavey: they get lots of praise, have arguably good tone, are affordable, used by professionals, but often times lack for some people. The 5150, which to many is the bees knees as far as tone, is called by some 'buzzy' and 'fizzy'. They are entitled to their opinions, just as you are entitled to yours.

If he doesn't like his amp, and think it's substandard when compared to Engl or Bogner, then he's allowed to think so. If you like your Laney more than those amps, so be it. But it's not anything to get bitchy about.
Quote by MrCarrot
You know you've won when people resort to name-calling.

Either that or they can't be bothered with your arguments that:
1. Have no point
2. Don't counter the opposing point

Because that seems to be your idea of an argument reading through this thread. I'm sure after this you'll go back to the Laney thread, slap hi-fives with everyone, when really you haven't won anything. In this thread you've shown yourself to be a bitter cunt, a brand-fag and ignorant of other's opinions.

I think you should just shut up now before people think any less of you.
Last edited by Horlicks at Sep 7, 2008,
Page 1 of 2