I've got an iMac, so the only software worth purchasing is Logic Express, since I'm not paying for Pro. However, I'm completely lost when it comes to purchasing an interface and microphones. I only need one XLR and one 1/4 inch input on the interface, but i need a (or a combination of) microphone(s) that can give me clear vocals, acoustic guitars, and loud distorted guitars. Help?

Thanks very much.
I'm assuming it will work on Macs but if it does, buy a Line 6 Toneport UX1.

EDIT: And as for a mic, a Shure SM-57 should be fine.
thats what i was gonna say lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by spazzymagee417
That's about showing people things you wrote, this is kind of considered guitar gear.

The recording forum is for recording gear, take a look:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Anyway, I use and highly recommend the Apogee Duet interface. Great sounding preamps, easy to use, and it works great with the rest of OSX. I use it with my Macbook Pro, and I even use it when just listening to music with headphones, better sound and less noise than with the MBP's headphone out. Plus, I like knowing that it's made for Macs (it does not actually even work on Windows), so there will be no problems with drivers that doesn't work like they should (YES, I'm looking at you, Mbox! )

As for a DAW, your Mac probably came with GarageBand, so definitely try using that before you spend money on something else. While it is lacking in terms of effects and other plugins, the sound quality you'll get is the same as with other, more expensive alternatives.

The Shure SM57 is a decent mic that's good for many things. For something that's easier to use (the SM57 is a bit picky with positioning), look into the Sennheiser e609, another really versatile mic.
Quote by whoismilan
The recording forum is for recording gear, take a look:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Anyway, I use and highly recommend the Apogee Duet interface. Great sounding preamps, easy to use, and it works great with the rest of OSX. I use it with my Macbook Pro, and I even use it when just listening to music with headphones, better sound and less noise than with the MBP's headphone out. Plus, I like knowing that it's made for Macs (it does not actually even work on Windows), so there will be no problems with drivers that doesn't work like they should (YES, I'm looking at you, Mbox! )

As for a DAW, your Mac probably came with GarageBand, so definitely try using that before you spend money on something else. While it is lacking in terms of effects and other plugins, the sound quality you'll get is the same as with other, more expensive alternatives.

The Shure SM57 is a decent mic that's good for many things. For something that's easier to use (the SM57 is a bit picky with positioning), look into the Sennheiser e609, another really versatile mic.

The point of the MBox package was budget. The Apogee is $500 bucks by itself. If he wants to raise the bar a little bit, there are tons of options, most of which come with a bundled lite edition DAW.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
The point of the MBox package was budget. The Apogee is $500 bucks by itself.

I don't know where you live but since you quoted a price with a $ sign, I checked the prices on Musicians Friend in the US:
Apogee Duet $495
Digidesign Mbox 2 $449

I'd say they are in the same price range, and neither is that expensive when it comes to preamps. Of course if you would use it only as an interface, then you can get away with a lot cheaper, but then you'd still need a decent preamp.

You are right though that the Duet should be a lot more expensive than the Mbox. Quality costs.
Quote by whoismilan
I don't know where you live but since you quoted a price with a $ sign, I checked the prices on Musicians Friend in the US:
Apogee Duet $495
Digidesign Mbox 2 $449

I'd say they are in the same price range, and neither is that expensive when it comes to preamps. Of course if you would use it only as an interface, then you can get away with a lot cheaper, but then you'd still need a decent preamp.

You are right though that the Duet should be a lot more expensive than the Mbox. Quality costs.

The link I posted was to a cheap $299 package, because thats the exact price he was looking at with $199 Logic Express Software and a $99 Toneport UX1. The Duet is unquestionably better than the $299 package and even the $449 Mbox, but my point is price.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by spazzymagee417
That's about showing people things you wrote, this is kind of considered guitar gear.

wrong. the main forum is for talking about gear and such. please read the stickies there, then ask any questions you still have. the stickies actually answer some of your questions, so go read them.

oh, and dont bump threads after under 15 minutes. this is a forum, not a chatroom.