Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new amp. Things I've been checking out..

Bogner Uberschall

Diezel Herbert

Marshall JCM 800

Reason SM-50

Any Engl Amps

I've played the Diezel and the Reason thats it. The marshall was recommended to me, but thats not all my style. The Diezel is really REALLY Hi Fi. The Reason is amazing. Engl's sound great, but maybey too compressed and Metally for me.

I'm playing in a tool style band, with some heavy-er songs ( Lamb of god/ As I lay dying) and some less heavey. and we jam out on Jazz and alot of shit. But the main style is toolish.

Can you guys help me find a right amp for me? I play a schecter custom guitar, with seymour duncan custom invaders. Thanks
Schecter Synyster custom

Washburn custom ( I remodeled)

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

How many vegetarians does it take to eat a cow?

One if no one is looking.
have you looked into orange?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I sure Havent
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Quote by wongacaster
he said a jcm 800 wasnt his style.
Why would an orange be?

Because an Orange amp sounds different than a JCM 800.

Like the Thunderverb, for example.

Also: Matamp. And Roccaforte amps.
Quote by imgooley
Because an Orange amp sounds different than a JCM 800.

Like the Thunderverb, for example.

Also: Matamp. And Roccaforte amps.

Look at the other amps listed.

None really seem to close to what orange does.

EDIT: im unfamiliar with reason amps so if thats anything like an orange im FORKED.
Last edited by wongacaster at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by wongacaster
Look at the other amps listed.

None really seem to close to what orange does.

Orange can do a lot of things, from The MC5, to Pop Punk type things, to Wolfmother to The Sword and other sludge/stoner bands.

A Tool sound to me is kinda a sludgey sound, which is why I think a Thunderverb would be a good fit. As would Matamp.
Quote by imgooley
Orange can do a lot of things, from The MC5, to Pop Punk type things, to Wolfmother to The Sword and other sludge/stoner bands.

A Tool sound to me is kinda a sludgey sound, which is why I think a Thunderverb would be a good fit. As would Matamp.

well i dont listen to tool soo

hahaha sorta outta place giving advice here.

But from what is see from the amps he has he want something fairly high gain.

Especially for the AILD stuff.

So i thought oranges wouldnt be the best of amps for what he wants.
Last edited by wongacaster at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by wongacaster
well i dont listen to tool soo

hahaha sorta outta place giving advice her.

But from what is see from the amps he has he want something fairly high gain.

Especially for the AILD stuff.

So i thought oranges wouldnt be the best of amps for what he wants.

'I'm playing in a tool style band, with some heavy-er songs ( Lamb of god/ As I lay dying) and some less heavey. and we jam out on Jazz and alot of shit. But the main style is toolish.'

That's the sound he wants. The Thunderverb can deliver, but not so much the Rocker 30, which I don't care too much for.

And is also why I said Matamp.

A whole bunch of options in that range, really. All I'm doing is presenting options for him to try, not telling him to buy an amp. Orange is worth a try.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have, I don't like the recots, too saggy and fuzzy. I was going to try the Mark 4 but a fuse blew at the store, so that never happened. I have access to Orange Amps, I've never played a JCM 800 but I've heard them, they are just too one toned, and don't have any low end chunk.

What do you guys think of the Bogners and Engls?

Check out Tools Jambi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEBJEWsi_DY

That's damn close to what I'm going for.

Adam jones, uses a Diezel Vh4 and a modded Marshall superbass.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

I wish there were more Matamp demos, but here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiNKw4MM25M

Orange Thunderverb/rockerverb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-PHqs4zBAc&feature=related

Sunn Model T, if you can find it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7UrEx6yeWo&feature=related
Quote by korn klown 14
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have, I don't like the recots, too saggy and fuzzy. I was going to try the Mark 4 but a fuse blew at the store, so that never happened. I have access to Orange Amps, I've never played a JCM 800 but I've heard them, they are just too one toned, and don't have any low end chunk.

What do you guys think of the Bogners and Engls?

Check out Tools Jambi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEBJEWsi_DY

That's damn close to what I'm going for.

Adam jones, uses a Diezel Vh4 and a modded Marshall superbass.

Bogners are good amps.

But good luck finding an uberschall and cabinet that fits your budget.

JCM800s are good amps, they're not super bass heavy like more modern high gain amps, but they have enough for Slayer-ish types of metal.

and for the love of god, please do not spend $2000 on a head and then $300 on a cheap 4x12 cabinet.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 7, 2008,
Bogner Ecstasy might be a little more what you are looking for.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I tried the Excstacy, and It had this nasty Scoop. Not mids but it had no presence. I'm spending 2,000 on a head and around 1,000 on a cab.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Dont forget to test the EVH 5150 III
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I have access to the 5150 3 and the orange amps. THD amps, VHT amps, marshall, matchless, Diezel, Bogner and many more. I've seen some great videos of the Nitro, but would that work for my Tool style?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Quote by korn klown 14
\

Diezel Herbert

Isn't the Herbet head around $4,200 New? would you be buying a used one?
Keeping it real since '92
Yes I would, I played it and It was good but super super HI FI. I can see why he places the Superbass with the vh4, need some warmth to that Diezel. I'm looking in depth with the uberschall, what do you guys think about it?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Quote by imgooley

Jim Root from Slipknot uses Orange. Just saying, they can cover metal (probably with an OD).
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by Highwaytohell
<.<
>.>

Splawn Nitro...

Plus........... ONE!!!!

Yes boi!

I think it would do anything and everything you want it to.
Well, The nitro is voiced to have a very powerful bottom end and a more thick emphaisis on the lower mids (as opposed to the upper mids on the Quickrod)

I think It would do tool fine as long as you take time to dial it in. Adam jones is a cleaver asshole having his deizels and marshalls... I suppose the Nitro might be inbetween as its a Modern-voiced marshall style amp. I would go for it.
Highway to Hell, you are really steering me in a great direction. I love the way you described the Nitro. But have you listened to Tool, I don't want to buy an amp, unless I know I'll be able to achieve a similar sound out of it. My band just wouldn't sound right without a great Tool Style guitar tone. Is the Nitro really that amp? Will it do heavier stuff, and If I were to pair it with a Diezel or A Bogner, would it chill out a little bit?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Doesn't Adam Jones use a Diezel of some description, in conjunction with some solid state stuff?
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Sep 7, 2008,
Adam Jones Uses the Third channel of the Diezel Vh4, combined with a Marshall Superbass, with master volume mod and channels wired toghether.

The Diezel is very Hi Fi and the marshall is super warm and creamy. So they combine to make one amazing tone. The Diezel is set heavey, the Marshall is set pretty low gain wise.

Over the years in the studio hes used

Diezel Vh4, Marshall superbass, mesa dual recto 2 channel, Sunn beta lead ( solid state), Bogner ubershall, Rivera Knucklehead tre, peavey " Missisiisppi Marshall", and alot more.

I'm looking for something in between, and maybey later I can throw another heavier amp in parrellel with it.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

check out a rockerverb, but out of all of those, the Diezel would fit your bill well (Tool's one of my favs too). If you want a Diezel tone, but don't want to spend 3 grand +, look at the Einstein. I messed around with one once and it sounded really sweet...too bad I played it with a Schecter Synyster Gates Custom with crappy Duncan Invaders. : [

It actually made that guitar sound REALLY good.

EDIT: oh sh#t! I just realized you're using THAT guitar. My bad!

It's not my kind of guitar, but with the Diezel it sounded damn good, and it didn't impress me with a peavey JSX, and that's one of the amps I use to test a lot of guitars, so...er....hopefully that helps. Although if you're going for more Tool-ish sounds, get a JB and a 59 in there pronto! I don't the the Invaders make for the dynamic crunch Adam gets.
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Sep 7, 2008,
It's cool man, to each his own. I like the guitar alot, It's been a favorite of mine for the 2 years I've owned it. but I'm getting a new one. I played the Herbert, and It was great, but It's one of those amps that needs another warmer amp running with it. It's so HI FI, I really didn't like the Einstein when I played it, wasn't my bag, just too hi fi and clean for my taste. I'd love the Diezel alot more if they had a marshall paired up with them, I think thats why Adams tone is so great, they compliment each other very well.

I'm thinking Uberschall or Nitro .

Prices are about the same, what do you guys think. I think they will both do the styles well, they are just diffrent. What cab goes best with the Nitro for my style? Should I steer away from The Vintage 30's since It's a vintage voiced amp or what?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "hi fi"?

I've never heard anyone refer to guitar amplifiers are hi fi systems before...
Hughes & Kettner either trilogy or switchblade, both have nice cleans enough gain and can cover pretty much anything you need it to, and the switchblade is midi programable and the triolgy lights up
Gear
Carvin custum dc 747
Ibanez rg 520qs
Homemade Nocaster
Hofner violin bass
Hughes & Kettner Swithcblade 100 head
Ampeg v-4 412's (one with veteran 30's one with stock speakers)
Randall 412
Vintage Supra
ISP Decimater G-string
Quote by korn klown 14
Yes I would, I played it and It was good but super super HI FI. I can see why he places the Superbass with the vh4, need some warmth to that Diezel. I'm looking in depth with the uberschall, what do you guys think about it?

Did you play the diezel at the guitar center in stl?? Cause if you did then i did too! haha that amp slays. In fact i went over to play an uberschall, at "eddies guitars" and they wouldn't let me. Please if you do intend to buy an uberschall, or anything else that they carry, go there, try it out, and buy it somewhere else. They were very rude to me and i hate the way they run there store! My vote would be for the diezel anyways.
I played the Diezel Einstein at The guitar center in STL by the Airport, sure did.

I played The Diezel Herbet and The Bogner XTC at Eddies Guitars. They are dicks, they run their store like a ****in library. You have to bring your own guitar, and make apointments to try anything. It's real outragous.

The Diezel is Hi Fi, meaning It's very very very Clean. Bland in a sence. It's like so super clean, warmth is abcent. I love the amp, It's very good. But I don't think It's at it's peak unless it's paired with something superwarm.

What do you guys think.

Uberschall or Splawn?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

I've played a Scott Splawn modded super lead (before he had his own line of amps) and personally really disliked the way it sounded. Imo, the gain was uncontrollable.

Just my opinion...
Idk, I don't think I'll be going for any of his previous amps. Thanks for the help though.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Quote by al112987
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "hi fi"?

I've never heard anyone refer to guitar amplifiers are hi fi systems before...

I know exactly what he means. I liked the sounds from the Herbert & VH4 I tried, but they sound a bit sterile, like not a lot of air & depth in the tone, sort of hi-fi. Don't get me wrong.... they sound better than LOTS of other amps, but I'd find it very difficult paying retail price for one.
To the TS- I recently did extensive side by side comparisons of an Uberschall & 5150 III, but I knew within the first 30 seconds of playing the EVH that I had to have one. The Uber is one of the best amps I've ever heard (& I've played most at one time or another), but I LOVE the voicing of the 5150 III, & it sounds great at low volumes too.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I know exactly what he means. I liked the sounds from the Herbert & VH4 I tried, but they sound a bit sterile, like not a lot of air & depth in the tone, sort of hi-fi. Don't get me wrong.... they sound better than LOTS of other amps, but I'd find it very difficult paying retail price for one.
To the TS- I recently did extensive side by side comparisons of an Uberschall & 5150 III, but I knew within the first 30 seconds of playing the EVH that I had to have one. The Uber is one of the best amps I've ever heard (& I've played most at one time or another), but I LOVE the voicing of the 5150 III, & it sounds great at low volumes too.

+1

Got that vibe from the Diezel I tested as well... And the Uber is bar none my favorite amp tested so far. But you can tell you would get bored of it pretty quickly versus the 5150 III. The 5150 III I demo'ed has one main benefit and thats having so many tonal options you would never get bored with it and its an amp that could grow with you.
Page 1 of 2