I found a page, where I can see all the scales, I guess: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=A&scchnam=Major&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1
Am I right?

I'm currently trying to understand, how it works on the A major scale. What confuses me the most is the "Patterns" indicator. Doesn't an A major scale start from the note A? It does so only, when I choose "5" there. So what exactly is the A major scale? Which one of those patterns do I have to play, when someone tells me to improvise and jam on the A major scale?

I feel I'm finally starting to understand more of this theory, notes, scales and chords. If I could only get an answer to this guestion...
Thanks!
Last edited by Amarant at Sep 7, 2008,
well first of to truly understand scales and how they work, u need to no the actual notes that are used

for example a major equals = A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G#

then next u need to learn and memorize notes on the fretboard so that u can generally get used to hitting these notes

like for example

E string 4th fret = G#
A string 2nd fret = B
basically each A major scale runs from A to A on the staff with a C#, F#, and G#.
so you can use any of the A major scale patterns to solo over a chord progression that's in the right key.
Quote by entity0009
I once death-metal growled at my mother. Her response was

GENERAL of the ESP Army! I want YOU to Join NOW!
I don't see the problem. You don't have to start the scale from the 6th string. you can start it anywhere as long as you're on the right note. plus, you can play the scale downwards.
The patterns only show you all the notes on that scale in the selected position. The order of playing is yours to choose.
Plus, there is, of course, more to scales than playing them up and down. You can combine things, and it dosen't matter at all where you begin, as long as you finish on the scale's note.

Hope I helped =]
Quote by Shaharz
I don't see the problem. You don't have to start the scale from the 6th string. you can start it anywhere as long as you're on the right note. plus, you can play the scale downwards.
The patterns only show you all the notes on that scale in the selected position. The order of playing is yours to choose.
Plus, there is, of course, more to scales than playing them up and down. You can combine things, and it dosen't matter at all where you begin, as long as you finish on the scale's note.

Hope I helped =]

On the right note means, I have to be on the note that scale contains, right? So when someone tells me to jam on the A major scale, I can use all those notes: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=A&scchnam=Major&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1
Thanks!