Last January, being the Rainbow fan I am and with their album 'Rising' being not only one of the best hard rock albums musicaly (thanks to Stargazer ) and its indeed epic cover I went out to do what many have done before... create a custom guitar to compliment the album. So after almost two years it 'should' be finished tomorrow night (if I have time) so i am of course getting all excieted and thought i would share my project with you all (although I dont post a lot, I like looking at pictures lol) So this thread will also mainly show pics, as all the work has practically been done.

So to begin with, how more cliche can you get than starting with a good ole squier?

As im not much of an airbrusher (ive never even tried) i did the more traditional approach of hand painting the fist which i thought would look more authentic with its 'raw powered' look.

This of course meant i needed to have quite a thick coating on it in order for it so be all smooth and shiny so I used about three coats of envirotext (sanding back down to almost nothing each time) which also gives a lot of depth and brings out the colour and then painted the back black and its covered in 2pac to finish it off.

The neck was my first project from a while back being scalloped, half normal half Blackmore and will also be all black with a 'Rainbow' decal in gold leaf ermm stuff (i think it has a proper name)

While I have a nice vintage trem lying around im just sticking with the normal Squier bridge as anything else is a bit wide for the neck (not that im really going to play it i dont think). I replaced the tuners to standard american ones (there a few years old) and the pick-ups are the Seymour Duncan 4T and 7T quaterpounders (T=tapped) with a three way switch and the middle is a dummy. Think thats mainly it spec wise but feel free to ask if i have left something out.
Hopefully there will be complete pics up soon
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
thats ****ing amazing bro! I lvoe the whole idea of th painting.
Myspace.

Quote by djmay71
it wasn't 7 days, it was 5.

and you call yourself the son of catholics

Quote by hugh20
I would keep it on my mantel piece and tell my grandchildren about the day I tried to overthrow the human race with my race of tree-men.
2 thumbs up

Specially since it wasn't painted with an airbrush. Doesn't mean its way easier but it does require less skill and in general it eases up the job but hand painted?

I like it very much. ^^
cheers guys
Not that I intend to double post but here are the finished pics

that is beautiful....
Quote by mexican_shred
^oh jesus christ . just because it has the same brand name and a remotely same name doesnt make it at all the same. its like saying a cat is like a human because its a mammal.
Thats amazing, one of the nicest pieces of art i've ever seen on a guitar, great work!
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Wow!

Just wow
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
You're an great artist... you know you could have guitar painting as a job.

Amazing all the way from idea to finished painting.
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
Thats f**king amazing!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Thanks for the kind words everyone, it really makes me want to do another

Quote by Sacrament
F*cking A dude!, was it just standard acrylics that you used?

Yep, its just acrylic
that is awesome! you're lucky you're artistic enough to do that DX
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
That's insane! Nice job man!
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Wow... This is probably the best painted guitar on UG! Amazing job!
Hello there.

I lurk a lot.

It's what I do best.
my god thats amazing
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Quote by guitar/bass76

Two years is some serious procrastination though :P

Yeah, that envirotex was a pretty bad idea, thats what really put me off touching it, that stuff gets everywhere lol so much sanding!

Oh and as to the response to what acrylic I use, its a few brands so basically what I can pick up at the time and sometimes I use gouache. Main brand I use is Jo Sonja's
that's amazing! i'm looking at doing a hand painted project myself...how did you get such a nice shine on it? that seems to be one of the major problems other people have when they hand paint a guitar....seriously though, it's beautiful.
One of the best paintjobs I have EVER seen! Massive congrats man!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by nobodysweasel
that's amazing! i'm looking at doing a hand painted project myself...how did you get such a nice shine on it? that seems to be one of the major problems other people have when they hand paint a guitar....seriously though, it's beautiful.

Yeah unfortunately painting with a brush leave quite an uneven surface particulary if you look at my technique which uses a lot of paint. Thats why I covered the body in envirotex. Its a two part clear mixture which flattens to its self, however you really need to mask of anywhere you dont want it! The problem with the strat is that it all runs off the slope so i put about three coats on in the end sanding it back to practically nothing each time and finished it in clear and then buffed it. Im not sure if thats the best way to do it, we just had it lying around the house when we covered papyrus to make an egyptian table (it ended up on the wall) so I thought I would give it a go
First pic looks like fapping

Awesome job though
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Nice job. The clear turned out really sharp... thats the step that makes it all look professional.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
I love the internet, this made my day. My favorite Rainbow album is their first. Check out my Rainbow tribute guitar in the gallery if you're interested.
Hey, someone should do "Long Live Rock 'n' Roll" now, (look great on a tele)
Quote by bullzeye
I love the internet, this made my day. My favorite Rainbow album is their first. Check out my Rainbow tribute guitar in the gallery if you're interested.
Hey, someone should do "Long Live Rock 'n' Roll" now, (look great on a tele)

What gallery, as in yours or the forums? Ive seen one floating around the internet a while back (on the Rainbow Fanclan site it think), is that the one? I actually thought about doing LLRNR on a natural strat (sorry really dont asthetically like teles) sort of like Cant let you go spec but instead of painting/drawing it i thought i might burn it on with a thin soldering iron tip (or yee ole magnifing glass) I can see me losing interest of that one quick, that would probably be a 5 year project knowing me lol

EDIT: Just found it dont worry. It was a different one but i think yours looks a lot nicer
Last edited by Master Shake at Sep 17, 2008,