Page 1 of 2
I don't want this to be a scene sucks thread, I want a discussion
------

I was talking to my friend last night about hanging out at the shopping center and maybe catching a movie. She said sure but needed to ask her boyfriend. I didn't know she had one so I was asking about him. She sent me his Facebook and asked if I knew him. Oh yeah, I knew him. He is one of those stereotypical scene kids. Gets up at 3 to straighten his hair, wears indie pop rock bad shirts, girls capris and stuff. Now, he's not a jerk or anything, he just dresses like a moron.

So it got me to thinking, what will he/others think about themselves in 10 years? I remember my mom pulled out pictures when she was my age and always said "wow, what was I thinking? I looked retarded." But in my moms time what was cool was big hair, you know, late 70's early 80's look. My Biology teacher talked about it one day. She said she was in college in the early 90's, so she was a Nirvana/Grunge freak. She would go to grunge shows, wear the clothes, and go to protests she knew nothing about.

I have kinda short hair, I wear jeans, shoes from Kohls/Target, either a band T or a solid color shirt and then a solid green hoodie or if its cold my leather jacket. I think I dress kind of normal and I think in 10 years when I see pictures of myself now I wont think "wow, why did I look like that?"

So what do you guys think scene/goth/emo/HXC/etc kids will think about themselves in 10 years?

TL;DR: See above.
Quote by master
Maybe they'll still wear the same thing and won't think anything about it?

Maybe. I'm talking about the ones who do change.
Well the early 80's "big hair" look that your mom described was normal at the time, same thing with the stuff you're wearing now. And she still thought "wow, what was I thinking?". So you may also later on. Styles change a lot over decades.
some of the emo kids might not be alive in 10 years
too harsh?
Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the cake this morning!

yeah, that's an inside joke. i made it different colors and sizes to be obnoxious...
What I'm worried about is the 30 year old people who dress like stereotypical scenesters.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
You're not dressing for your memories. You're wearing whatever you want to wear at the time.
Quote by clement1
Bell bottoms are making a come back, mark my words!

Starting with Opeth!

of couse that picture was taken in the '90s, I just thought it was funny.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
maybe we'll wear nothing in 10 years... could be the big thing!

so everyone will be like "what the f*ck was I thinking?"
Quote by Platodium
Well the early 80's "big hair" look that your mom described was normal at the time, same thing with the stuff you're wearing now. And she still thought "wow, what was I thinking?". So you may also later on. Styles change a lot over decades.

I have seen plenty of people still having the whole 'big hair' thing. My old guitar teacher only just had a 'normal' hair cut, and must be in his late 40s.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Quote by CTFOD
What I'm worried about is the 30 year old people who dress like stereotypical scenesters.

I lol'd
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
hahah i was having the exact same discussion with my band mates about the scene kids lol, and how they look back and see themselves and be like oh god lol

but basically im hoping this fad will grow out so men can become men again and not give a shit about there appearance with thought, and just go with the flow
Scene isn't a style, its a way of life. XxX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, they won't change
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
personally i find scene people to be rather attractive usually. who can really complain about nice straight hair, sexy piercings and nice casual dress sense?

TS is jealous.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I used to hate chavs until my sister got a smack in the mouth from one. Now I love them.
its just part of growing up. your parents did stuff that was cool and their parents hated it, and when you are a parent your kids will do stuff you think is completely idiotic.
Trends come and go. People who followed them tend to realize that they looked like idiots a few years down the line, happens all the time.

Some stick around more than others, become a cultural phenomenon instead of a trend; Goth and Punk culture, for example. The whole girl's jeans and sculpted hair look, however, applies to so many trendy genres of music that I can't see them outliving the bands when they stop being so popular.

Hope none of that came across as offensive, I'm being serious for a change...
i dont mind scene chicks but the guys are complete tools... most of the time. some of them are ok.
Quote by x X t o c z.
personally i find scene people to be rather attractive usually. who can really complain about nice straight hair, sexy piercings and nice casual dress sense?

TS is jealous.

VS

Yea..scene girl loses...
im still wondering what the next fad will be...
Quote by dr_chainsaw0
the whole time i was expecting it to end in the fresh prince theme song

Quote by blackflag49
"You're only as fresh as your game", said the Lord - Corinthians 22:12
Quote by The_Paranoia
As said before, Bell Bottoms will be back in soon.

Fuck that. Amazonian's coming back. That Renaissance one where women walked around with one of their breasts hanging out of specially designed dresses.

IT'S COMING BACK I TELL YOU

the same thing that happened to hair metal people after the 80s, theyll realize that putting all that stuff in their hair makes them go bald, theyll get fat (which for scene kids will be HILARIOUS!) and they wont be able to get gigs (some of them might get their own VH1 reality show if their lucky) whereas bands like Lamb of God, Behemoth, Arch Enemy, and maybe megadeth if dave isnt retired or dead will continue to sell out arenas and make albums
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by metaldud536

Haha, I think emo and scene girls are fuckin' HOT. I know a lot of people don't like that look on guys but I think that's really cool too (hell, I have to say that, I wear it). It can be overdone though.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
the same thing that happened to hair metal people after the 80s, theyll realize that putting all that stuff in their hair makes them go bald, theyll get fat (which for scene kids will be HILARIOUS!) and they wont be able to get gigs (some of them might get their own VH1 reality show if their lucky) whereas bands like Lamb of God, Behemoth, Arch Enemy, and maybe megadeth if dave isnt retired or dead will continue to sell out arenas and make albums

When was the last time any of those sold out an arena?

Much as I love metal, relatively underground (as far as the mainstream is concerned) stuff like that will have absolutely zero impact on popular culture.

WEBBDIT^ Medieval girl WINS!
Quote by metaldud536

oooo thats what a scene kid looks like
i live in a hillbilly state so ive only ever seen one of these fascinating creatures in person
Quote by webbtje

WEBBDIT^ Medieval girl WINS!

But w/e. I gues I have a thing for natural beauty. Peircings and how their hair styles makes their head look HUGE! (like a friggin Wookie!) turns me off when it comes to scene girls.
yeah, it's not that hard to look good if you have enough make-up, photoshop, and a weird camera angle.
Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the cake this morning!

yeah, that's an inside joke. i made it different colors and sizes to be obnoxious...
Quote by metaldud536

But w/e. I gues I have a thing for natural beauty. Peircings and how their hair styles makes their head look HUGE! (like a friggin Wookie!) turns me off when it comes to scene girls.

I tend to disapprove of excessive (noticeable) make-up and so on too. Then again I'm happily taken, with someone I think looks damn fine sans make-up
Page 1 of 2