I have enough cash lying around to finally upgrade from my behringer head. I was thinking about the Markbass Little Mark II, or the Carvin bx1200.

Markbass pros:
awesome transparent sound.
500 watts at four ohms.
weighs less than seven pounds.
won bass player magazine's best amp award.
generally people really like it.

Markbass cons:
simple eq.
500 watts might not be loud enough.

Carvin bx1200 pros:
up to 1200 watts at four ohms.
two eqs which are toggleable through a footswitch.
onboard compresser
stereo outputs.
can run down to 2 ohms.

Carvin bx1200 cons:
weighs 32 pounds.
possibly too complicated.
I would probably have to buy another cab to make the wattage worthwhile.

which one should i choose. Their both the same price. I can get the markbass locally, but would have to order the Carvin. Im in a band with one guitarist, a keyboardist and a drummer and we play progressive symphonic power metal. (think nightwish and iron maiden with crazy song structuring).
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
I think you'd be better off with a Carvin. Personally, I love MarkBass, probably more than any other company, but for what you need they might be a little "bubbly". The Carvin is going to be more transparent and modern. You really can't go wrong with either for what you need though. Also, like you said, volume will be a factor. Will the Little Mark be loud enough for you? 500 watts will probably do you fine, but if you only get an 8 ohm, I doubt the 300 watts will be enough for a power metal band. With the Carvin you'll never have to worry about volume, ever. I'd say, try out a Markbass and see if it's exactly what you want. If not, go Carvin.
Markbass, the wattage will be enough and a second cab is always possible right?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I recently bought a Carvin BR610 combo (still hasn't come in).

You know what gave it major points over every other amp in the price range? Two channels, that are completely independent. I'll be able to set up one channel for slap, one for finger. One as a boost for a solo. One that has a heavier tone for a heavier part.

If two channels is your thing, the Carvin is a no brainer. Go try out the Markbass and see if it is aggressive enough for you.

And Iron Maiden, crazy song structuring? Don't get me wrong, I love Maiden, but I lol'd at that.
Quote by IndianRockStar
I recently bought a Carvin BR610 combo (still hasn't come in).

You know what gave it major points over every other amp in the price range? Two channels, that are completely independent. I'll be able to set up one channel for slap, one for finger. One as a boost for a solo. One that has a heavier tone for a heavier part.

If two channels is your thing, the Carvin is a no brainer. Go try out the Markbass and see if it is aggressive enough for you.

And Iron Maiden, crazy song structuring? Don't get me wrong, I love Maiden, but I lol'd at that.

Yeah, the channels switching looks awesome. The only problem is that I only have an eight ohm ampeg 4x10 right now, and the Carvin only puts 275 into eight ohms in mono, I could bridge it and get 800 watts into eight ohms, but the cab's handling is only 500. I know i wouldn't be cranking it, but would it be harmful to the cab?
yes. unless you keep the volume low enough. but you'd need to stay pretty darn low.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
800 to 500 is a bit of a stretch. You can get away (and is sometimes recommended) with 125% of the wattage, but 800 watts is beyond even that. You'll have to stick with the 275 watts.

I was afraid of that, I was thinking of getting an eight ohm Avatar 2x12 to put under the ampeg, the combined handling would be 1000 watts, but if i run the head in bridged at four ohms it'll put out 1200. Would this be harmful as well?
Quote by IndianRockStar
It'll be harmful to your ears before it hurts either cab IMO. Just don't put the volume above 7 or 8 and you'll be fine. That is, provided you need to.

Yeah, I doubt i'll need that much wattage ever, all of the local venues have sound reinforcment, but power its always a good thing to have in reserve. My guitarist has his heart set on a mesa triple rectofier, and I just want to be able to keep up.