Boss sd-1 any good is it better than the bad monkey? I heard ts got a little bit more gain and and crunch than other overdrives. Im thinking of buying it useing it as a boost and general overdrive pedal, good idea?
it is good, but you loose a lot of bass in your tone, that's why i returned mine. But it did give a great overdrive sound. Make note this is an overdrive pedal and not a distortion pedal.
Yeah, it gives a bright overdrive, but there's very little top end, no matter how much you turn the tone down - It gives a good classic rock style drive, useful as a lead boost.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
I have it, it's not bad.

As it's been said, very little top end. I heard the Bad Monkey is good though. There's plenty of better ones, but if you're on a tight budget it should work out fine.
great pedal for what you pay
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
It's so-so, but a good modding platform.
If you ask me, I would get a Bad Monkey or TS7.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I use it to boost my distortion, works pretty good, but takes some low end away. I don't mind though, gives it more of a crunchier sound and i just dial in more bass.
no not at all.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Its Pretty good,i just got one a few months back,it made a world of difference to my sound,i use it for my rig when i play live.Nice crunchie sound I mainly play Rock and it works great.
Quote by darkarbiter7
It's so-so, but a good modding platform.
If you ask me, I would get a Bad Monkey or TS7.

+1
The Bad Monkey is only really good as a boost. Only ok drive by itself
I like warm. It's pretty much a bright classic rock type overdrive. However, I use mine for boosting.
Quote by Swap-Meet
oh my bad, I saw Nirvana in the guys named and assumed that SD-1 was the model of the Super Distortion

Oh lol. Anyway, didn't Kurt us DS-1's? They're not discontinued, I own one.
Quote by AdamDK
Oh lol. Anyway, didn't Kurt us DS-1's? They're not discontinued, I own one.

I think he used the ds-1 for a bit, but then he used a Super Distortion from like 1991 till he died I think.

Anyways, the Super Distortion is discontinued, but I'm pretty sure the DS-2 is just the Super Distortion + DS-1 = DS-2
Quote by Swap-Meet
I think he used the ds-1 for a bit, but then he used a Super Distortion from like 1991 till he died I think.

Anyways, the Super Distortion is discontinued, but I'm pretty sure the DS-2 is just the Super Distortion + DS-1 = DS-2

Kurt Cobain used the DS-1 for Nevermind, then it broke, and was replaced with a DS-2

And the DS-2 isn't a DS-1 & SD-1 combined - Mode I is pretty much a DS-1, and Mode II is 'Turbo' mode, which is brighter really, but not like the SD-1, imo
How about the MXR Wylde Overdrive? I've never tried one, but apparently it's an SD-1 with Zakk's name on it. Perhaps you could look into that one too, if it sounds any different from the SD-1.
Quote by FishFingers
Kurt Cobain used the DS-1 for Nevermind, then it broke, and was replaced with a DS-2

And the DS-2 isn't a DS-1 & SD-1 combined - Mode I is pretty much a DS-1, and Mode II is 'Turbo' mode, which is brighter really, but not like the SD-1, imo

I used the ds-1 for my bands first 10-12 songs, then it broke, how come boss didn't send me a pedal for free???

bastards.

ahh shit, I have no clue where I came up with the Super Distortion from...I make things up like that, I guess.

and damn it to hell, I really wanted to try out what i thought was the super distortion, because i really like cobains distortion, so when I went to the guitar store and asked about it those bastards told me it was dicontinued, and instead of buying the DS-2 I bought the double muff...which is pretty good.
Quote by Swap-Meet
I used the ds-1 for my bands first 10-12 songs, then it broke, how come boss didn't send me a pedal for free???

bastards.

I have both the DS-2 & SD-1 (gah all these similar codes), so back on topic - I really was impressed with the SD-1. I bought blind, without playing it first, so was relieved when it turned out to be a good choice. I can always get the sound I want out of it, however that's a bit subjective.....still, try it!!
Well i like a bit of crunch on my amp so thats a good thing. Hopefully i will like it now i just waiting for it to be delivered
Its a good pedal to use with a cranked amp that gets a bit flabbly when cranked. The SD1 will tighten the tone and give you a nice boost. It also has a nice crunch to it. The SD1 is a good pedal to mod. I put some different diodes in mine and changed some caps and resistor and it a bags of gain and crunch. I use it to tighten up my traynor YCV20 and I like it better than the Bad Monkey when used with the Traynor.
Yeah, once modded, I could see it being a great pedal. Stock, it's worth the price, but it's nothing special.
It does tighten up your tone alot, though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator