Hey all.
I have a Mexican Strat body, drilled for a 6-point, 2 1/16" spaced tremolo.
I want to upgrade to an American 2 point trem, spaced at 2 7/32" apart. I understand I will need to redrill to do this, and I'm fine with that, but I have a question about neck alignment. I don't want the strings falling off the edge of the neck.
I have the standard 2 3/16" neck pocket, and a neck to fit it. The nut dimensions are 1-11/16" x 3/16" x 1/8", with 1-3/8" string spacing.

Am I in trouble if I try to upgrade?

(I'm open to making a new nut, if it's called for).
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by Stratoblaster73
Hey all.
I have a Mexican Strat body, drilled for a 6-point, 2 1/16" spaced tremolo.
I want to upgrade to an American 2 point trem, spaced at 2 7/32" apart. I understand I will need to redrill to do this, and I'm fine with that, but I have a question about neck alignment. I don't want the strings falling off the edge of the neck.
I have the standard 2 3/16" neck pocket, and a neck to fit it. The nut dimensions are 1-11/16" x 3/16" x 1/8", with 1-3/8" string spacing.

Am I in trouble if I try to upgrade?

(I'm open to making a new nut, if it's called for).

You've obviously done your research and you already know the MIA version has a nut width of 1.6875" or 43 mm vs. 42 mm for the MIM.

Most of the time, people replace the older MIM bridge because of the puny trem block and those are beefier on the newer MIMs (2006 and later, or is it 2007?).

I'm suspecting you prefer the 2-post vs. the 6-screw vintage style. The only 2 concerns or possible issues I can think of are the structural integrity of drilling the 2 holes and as you've mentioned, the strings being too close to the edge around the neck pocket.

Hmmm ... is the 2-posts style worth it to you, given those 2 things above? If you just wanted the beefier trem block, there are loads of the newer, beefier MIM Standard versions on eBay. BTW, the MIM RIs have the same string spacing as the MIAs and MIJs.

I'm sorry I can't help. Good Luck!

^
That actually makes a lot of sense.
I may just go with the 6 screw style, I found a 2 point and a 6 point that I like, both with beefy blocks.

I might just fire an e-mail to StewMac to see what they have to say first, 'cause I do prefer the 2 point, but I don't want to sacrifice quality.

Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.