Hi guys,

My sister has an old (and honestly really bad) electric guitar I started learning on today, I've got some chords down relatively well (A, D, G, Em, C... all need improvement) and learning to play open country, open to the stars and stand by me (out of tune bagpipes probably sound better than me playing them though).

Anyway, there's one thing on the tabs that I don't understand.

Simple diagram:

----0-------------------
-----------0-----------
------------------------
-------------0---------

Em

^ This I understand perfectly. ^

----3-------------------
-----------2-----------
------------------------
-------------3---------

Em

^ This I don't. The only difference is it uses 3,2,3 instead of 0,0,0 - I understand those numbers relate to frets but not quite sure what to do.

I know I hold the Em Cord, play E, A, G but don't get what the numbers not being 0 signifies.

Trying to teach myself here Thanks guys! Glad I found this place, I'd be totally lost!
Last edited by Virtua at Sep 7, 2008,
I thought guitars had six strings. . . . I'm saying that because something about this post is just hard for me to understand, if you can clarify a little more I'll try to answer.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
They do, I left them out because it was irrelevant to the question... I don't get what the numbers on the strings signify when it's not a 0.
I'm the same as notsee i dont quite understand what your on about but heres the basics to reading tabs.

the numbers represent what fret your meant to play so if its 3, hold the 3rd fret down on the shown string. If the number is 0 it means to play the string open, eg nothing held down.
Oh, Haha, well, yeah like Ali said. I couldn't have explained it anybetter. . . . but see the reason why I got like that was because your Em would make an E minor 7th actually. The second chord on the other hand isn't an Em it's a G minor major 6th(or some added tension chord?)? Something like that, I don't know what it's called but it's a chord derived from the Dorian mode.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.

I didn't know that, should have probably left the chord out in my example altogether

----[I][B]3[/B][/I]-------------------
-----------2-----------
------------------------
-------------3---------

So, in this one, I play the top strong (i.e the one closest to floor) while holding down the same string but on the third fret?

Ooh another question, so far I've put it down to a really bad quality guitar, but sometimes the E string (farthest from floor) vibrates against something (like part of the guitar)... I assume it's not meant to do that
Are you sure your trying to play a chord? You put it as though you were just fretting normally ( i.e. one note at a time ) If your playing like that than you put a finger on the corresponding fret, use your pick/finger and hit the string, and then take your finger off that fret. Than you put a finger on the next fret and repeat.

If your trying to play this chord

e 3 <---- String closest to floor
B 2
G
D 3
A
E

Than place your ring finger on the e string ( dont strum yet), index on the B string, and finally your Middle finger on the D string. Than when you have all your fingers in place strum the four strings closest to the floor.
thank you nbmack!

i get it 90% of the way now, the 10% is... why the four closest to the floor, is that something i should be doing normally while strumming or does that chord you drew up require it?
Probably just a little fret buzz virtua, on acoustics it's annoying and on electrics it doesn't really matter IMO
Quote by paranoid joker

Quote by Virtua
thank you nbmack!

i get it 90% of the way now, the 10% is... why the four closest to the floor, is that something i should be doing normally while strumming or does that chord you drew up require it?

First off to know that you have strum those four, you should memorize the names of the
open strings. They are called open strings when you do not place your fretting hand on a fret. There names in order of closest to you to closer to the floor. E (fattest/closest to you) , A , D, G ,B , e (smallest, closest to floor)

e
B
G
D
A
E
that is the way you will always see it in tabs, Now if there are numbers on the lines

e 3
B 2
G
D 3
A
E
Now knowing that the e string is closest to the floor, we can tell that in order to strum the chord we have to hit every string that has a note on it. The bottom four strings all have a note on it ( G string being open or not having a number) so you put your pick on the D string and strum downward.
U can play a song after a day ?? Ive been playing 2 weeks and i can't play a song !!! I still struggle to change chords
Quote by Virtua
They do, I left them out because it was irrelevant to the question... I don't get what the numbers on the strings signify when it's not a 0.

The Em is the underlying chord but it isn't actually played, you'd just play the notes indicated by the tab.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Err... so why is there an 'underlying chord' at all if I don't play it, what's its purpose?

Sorry guys, I'm learning slowly here

My guitar is really awful, rather out of tune too which I still need to fix;

I got a question though, I have a choice between two guitars I can get, not sure which to go with - Gibson Talent with Rosewood fingerboard, 22 fret maple neck:

or Mannix Flying-V Style, Solid Wood body, Maple neck, 24-fret rosewood fretboard

Thanks again... I'm thinking Gibson Talent? I'm going to take the better quality guitar for sure, I'm only considering the Mannix because I like the flying-v style but don't know if they are as good. The Gibson Talent seems to be worth more too...
I wouldn't get either of those to be honest, you want to stay away from floating bridges for a while. Having said that neither of them are going to be particularly good quality I fear.

Tabs often tell you the underlying chords to make it easy to improvise over the song.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have no idea what I'm meant to look for then Don't really even know what a floating bridge is :P Or why it is bad. --edit, just did research, yes maybe I should avoid them, but in the end those are the best I can find for the small amount of money I can afford to burn.

Is Mannix a good brand, should I stay away from it? Or is it one of those cheaper because they're newer brands but just as good as others?

What about these?

Brand: Mirage
Body: Elm
Neck: Maple
Finger Board:Rosewood
No.of Fret:24 Frets
Pickups: 2 open Hum bucking
Details:Control: 1V, 1T & 1 3-Way switch Hardware: Double rock

Maybe if someone was feeling extra genius they could take a quick browse through this site (NZ version of eBay) and tell me what one, under $300 I should buy? Thanks, sorry so new to this

Thanks for clarifying the underlying chords thing This is exciting as it is confusing
What I don't understand is why your tab has only 5 strings. Is it bass??

And also the chord name is there as an underlying chord I believe, to help with improvisation.
Oh I answered that earlier - I just didn't bother entering the others sorry x.x next time I will :P

Thanks.
Before you go out and start buying up Guitars, I suggest you Tune the one you have and advance a little further and see if you actually want to play guitar. No offence but just trying to help...