I've been playing guitar around a year now, but I can't pick one up without being frustrated. I feel way behind in my technique, and my rhythm playing is sloppy. I have knowledge of most modes, but my improvisation is lacking, and I can't seem to find any inspiration to actually play. I used to love to play, but now it makes me want to punch bricks or something. I mostly play acoustic, but can't think of anything interesting to play, as single note leads sound weak on it.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?
First off, listen to new music and learn to play more songs to get out of whatever creative rut you're in.
Second, come up with a structured practice schedule and work on your sloppy playing!
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
u need to find something that can get u back on track and inspired again

look around for some new music, and take a step outside the square of what u normally listen to

as for playing itself why dont push urself to practice harder on rhythm, go get a metronome and experiment with different time sigs and start creating stuff urself
listen to some new acoustic stuff man, it'll give you inspiration. Try some fingerstyle guitarists, like Andy McKee, Antoine Dufour, Don Adler, or just some cool singer songwriters, I think a real interesting one to listen to is City and Colour, he's got some really cool stuff. And as for me, there's nothing better to chill to than Jack Johnson, and the guy comes up with some interesting chord progressions my friend. You don't need to play lead lines to be amused.

As for your playing, sounds to me like you know exactly what to work on. Don't be like a million pansies out there who pick up an acoustic, learn G C D chords and never play again. Push yourself man, get through this hurdle. Start taking your speed and timing seriously and I assure you, you will improve. Good luck, buddy.
Thanks all, I'll get practicing. Man, this is terrible, it's been going on for a few days, usually I also have a good singing voice, and now I can't sing for anything :///
Quote by manmanman133
I've been playing guitar around a year now, but I can't pick one up without being frustrated. I feel way behind in my technique, and my rhythm playing is sloppy. I have knowledge of most modes, but my improvisation is lacking, and I can't seem to find any inspiration to actually play. I used to love to play, but now it makes me want to punch bricks or something. I mostly play acoustic, but can't think of anything interesting to play, as single note leads sound weak on it.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

You've only been playing for a year, did you expect to be great already? Enjoy yourself, playing guitar should be about having fun not being great
Well, everybody is telling you to listen to new music.

A really good slap guitarist is Miyavi. He's foreign, so you probably wont understand the lyrics, but he's a really good guitar player.
Take a break for a couple of days. It sounds like you've been pushing yourself too hard. I know that whenever I go on vacation and I don't have my guitar for x days, I get home and head straight for the guitar.

Also, consider getting an electric. From one of your comments it sounds like you are wanting to do electric guitar type things.