Basically, for this gig at school, our drummer is causing grief. We're a four piece (Singer, Guitar, Bass, Drums) and we've been recruited to do a gig at school. Our drummer is the student council president and already known as "the musician" so the school asked him and then he in turn asked us.

Over the last month, we've been slowly preparing for the gig (which is at the end of this month). The drummer owns the PA, but doesn't want to do anything. He doesn't want to bother with getting a practice schedule worked out, and if it were up to him, we'd practice probably twice before we go play six or seven songs we've never done together before.

So, the bassist and I have been taking care of things, meeting with the school administration, ect... in order to get things worked out. So, now that we've got a solid practice schedule and everything down, the drummer is beginning to throw down decrees from on high, EG: "It's my PA, if I wanted to really piss you guys off I'd just say 'you're done'"; "I own all this stuff and they asked me to do this gig, so I'm in charge;" and other BS like that.

He also wants to screw up the dynamic of the group and possibly ruin the whole thing by bringing in his metalhead buddy guitar player three weeks before the show who's not even that good and has crap equipment.

The dude is a nice kid and everything, don't get me wrong (a phenomenal drummer as well), but he's lazy, doesn't take care of his equipment, and wants to be in charge without knowing what's going on or doing anything.

Unfortunately, he's also (quite literally) the only drummer in the entire school who doesn't suck, so we can't just dump him. I wouldn't want to do that anyway. Basically, this post was part vent and part request for a way to tell him to shape up. Any advice is appreciated.
Since he was asked first then it's his reputation that's taking the biggest hit. Try telling him that.
Tell him his drums can be simulated with 16-bit midi and the audience would never know, so tell him to smarten up, cause when you are in a band, you need to work together and he is totally expendable.

Being in a band is not like hiking where you can only go as fast as the slowest person, tell him to catch up or get off the f-in trail!

Sounds like he is totally disrespecting your band's efforts. I would definately not let this guy hang around for the long run, sounds like he is just gonna cause major grief in the future (not showing up for recording time, side lining his own contracts, etc...)

Maybe his mom should come to your guys practices, she might have something to throw in there when his ego deems to big for his own good.
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?
I know this kind of stuff. I personally think that the drummer attitude sucks balls, in general. Drummers are hard to find, and if a drummer does not suck a lot, he thinks of himself as GOD. Especially, since he owns the PA that is needed, this sucks even more. I`d rather own the rehearsal spot and the PA/Drums, than leave it to a drummer, since it would make it harder for the drummer to dump you on your ass. The only reasonable things to do is to either to try and talk to him, saying that he might need to get back to earth and be less of a dick, or to try finding a drummer outside of your school and rent a PA
Quote by nesveikuolis
I know this kind of stuff. I personally think that the drummer attitude sucks balls, in general. Drummers are hard to find, and if a drummer does not suck a lot, he thinks of himself as GOD. Especially, since he owns the PA that is needed, this sucks even more. I`d rather own the rehearsal spot and the PA/Drums, than leave it to a drummer, since it would make it harder for the drummer to dump you on your ass. The only reasonable things to do is to either to try and talk to him, saying that he might need to get back to earth and be less of a dick, or to try finding a drummer outside of your school and rent a PA

Why is our PA owning good drummer not like this prat then?

I know...

YOUR GENERALISING!!!

My bad for that part but i do agree that currently he has a shocking attitude
Quote by nesveikuolis

this is the kind of statements that make drummers bail 5min before a show

how direspectful
i say its the singer you should be worried about he wasnt even listed as the problem but i bet he has something to do with it
" i saw these 2 girls kiss and i i got all horny and stuff"
First step is to make sure the other guys agree with you completely. It sounds like they do.

Second step is to AS A GROUP confront the drummer. Tell him that he is being counter-productive to the band and that this situation isn't gonna work out if he's got the "It's my stuff so I'm in charge" attitude.

If that fails, step three, tell him to reap what he's sown and leave him to do the gig alone. He'll soon realize that bossing people around is a bad way to conduct business.