A buddy of mine recently entered a Rock band and the other night he said he had 200 dollars but he was looking at guitars. He has a Peavey Rage right now, so I talked to him a butload about amps and how much more important they are to the sound. He's got some POS Epi Special II... BUT knowing that amps do alot for the tone I pointed him in the direction of a Crate V18 1x12 combo (his band is really alot of classic rock so I figured it would be perfect) and that I might even help him pick out some new tubes (jj EL34s anyone?) and a good speaker (I was thinking Warehouse Green Beret) and even though his guitar is trash he would sound really freaking good. Is this a good idea?
He might like an agile, and the V18 sounds fine
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

I think so. I vote speaker over tubes initially but a fish and chips may help more to stay within the $200 range over speaker/tubes which would cost more. Just a thought.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
if he has a crap guitar, it will sound shit on any amp, that's why you never see rock gods playing squires
Quote by viper_mike
if he has a crap guitar, it will sound shit on any amp, that's why you never see rock gods playing squires

Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by viper_mike

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by viper_mike

Incorrect sir. If you have a crap amp than you'll sound ok with a crappy guitar. I've seen guys tear it up on squires before.

About the tubes... Just remember for some reason this only uses 2 power tubes which would only cost me 23 bucks on tubes depot for a matched pair.
Quote by viper_mike

Woah, woah, woah!

No.
^ True about the tubes only deal. Maybe them and an EQ?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
^ True about the tubes only deal. Maybe them and an EQ?

That sounds like a plan, I think I'd probably hold off on the speaker due to it being like 65 bucks and I have little expirience installing them, and the Fish n chips is a great EQ for the price..

I may actually decide tubes for him with later breakup... any ideas?
Crate amps have never done that well in comparison tests in Guitar Player magazine. I remember the first model that came to the music store I used to work in in the late seventies. Back then they (Crate) wouldn't know tone if it kicked them in the face. The product was more about the novelty of the amp being housed in a wooden crate than anything else. Tone starts with the player, then the guitar & then the amp. A crappy guitar probably won't stay in tune a whole set, and guys, no amp can amplifiy frequencies that aren't there to start with. A good amp will only hilite just how poor the signal source really is not enhance it.
Moving on.....
I like my Epi Les Paul Special II. Was my first electric guitar, and feels great. The only thing is she needs a new nut and maybe a pickup swap, and she's good to go.

Get the amp over the guitar, IMO.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by KenG
Crate amps have never done that well in comparison tests in Guitar Player magazine. I remember the first model that came to the music store I used to work in in the late seventies. Back then they (Crate) wouldn't know tone if it kicked them in the face. The product was more about the novelty of the amp being housed in a wooden crate than anything else. Tone starts with the player, then the guitar & then the amp. A crappy guitar probably won't stay in tune a whole set, and guys, no amp can amplifiy frequencies that aren't there to start with. A good amp will only hilite just how poor the signal source really is not enhance it.

It's not exactly as if there's a massive blank spot where noise should be on a cheap guitar.
Quote by KenG

hmm...

Well these are all tube well-built amps...
I dont really know of any other well-priced all tube amps in the pricerange...
If he can also affoed speakers and tubes, it might be a good idea to get the V33 if he is gigging, cause he probably will use some cleans
The V18 certainly is inexpensive at $120.00 USD but 18W is not very much power for gigging with a band. Probably great for practice in smaller venues but I'd think you'd have to mic it thru a PA otherwise.
Moving on.....
Idk... I've always known 18 watts alltube class A as loud enough to survive in a band environment. Maybe I'm naive... perhaps I should tell him to get the V50 1x12 instead.
if he's gonna be playing clean stuff along with the band, but be able to get some powertube od he might wanna go with the v33. oh, and they all use el84's except for the v50. i think it uses el34's or 6l6's.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
if he's gonna be playing clean stuff along with the band, but be able to get some powertube od he might wanna go with the v33. oh, and they all use el84's except for the v50. i think it uses el34's or 6l6's.

I think it's 6l6's as the v50 is often said to be more american sounding
Good amp > good guitar.

honestly, what do you think would sound better:
a 150$ epiphone les paul special II being played through a Dumble OD Special
~or~
an Alembic Tribute being played through a 10W Fender Frontman?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by mcrfobtai
I think it's 6l6's as the v50 is often said to be more american sounding

ah, yeah you're right.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Highwaytohell
Idk... I've always known 18 watts alltube class A as loud enough to survive in a band environment. Maybe I'm naive... perhaps I should tell him to get the V50 1x12 instead.

man you have heard my18 watter it out did your classic 30 in volume and can compete with joes deville with 410s in it plus its not like they are gonna be alying anywhere where the amp wouldent project well... the biggest place would maybe be touquet hall if not that its beachfest and they mic up everything anyways so that will be fine plus basset has a little friggin fender anyways
Quote by webbtje
Woah, woah, woah!

No.

well actually yes... jeff healey the blind blues guitar player his black strat is a squire i saw the logo while i was watcing a video... so yeah man squires can sound good and so an epeiphones depends on how you set the amp and how well you yourself play... i have made half decent tones out of aline 6 spider and a squire... depends on how you as a person plays the amp and guitar dont do everything... they do a hell of alot but not everything
I was actually disagreeing with him for saying a bad guitar through a good amp will have a bad sound.