A long time ago(not too long, but a long time ago) I started playing guitar. I had a cheap, used, 50 dollar, piece of crap guitar that is out of tune every time you try to play a note other than an open string.

Then a few months ago I went to guitar center in hollywood(amazing place) looking for a new guitar. I was struggling between a dean razorback and an eppy explorer. I wound up with a gibson SG. I loved it in the store, and i love it now, but it's missing something that it had in the store.

I still have my tiny little starter amp. It can be loud, but it doesn't do all of the distortion i want. So now I'm looking for a new amp to go with my SG. I'm in a metal band and play lead. We aren't doing shows or anything yet, we just have fun together, so I don't need an amp to do shows with, just a decent quality amp. I'm also considering a pedal board. Any suggestions?
What is your budget?

You said you play metal but thats pretty general, what kind of metal do you like?
What else do you like to play?
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by HighPotency
Budget please.

+1

also, you could invest into the future, if you buy a smaller amp not suitable for gigging and you start gigging later, you'll need to buy another amp
The new peaveys have just came out they r called the vypers i would look into it, it is soposed to be the next best thing
200 or less for the budget. 300 is a stretch, but possibly acceptable. specific bands I guess would be Dethklok, All That Remains, Sabbath, Ozzy, Metallica(Death Magnetic is almost here!), W.A.S.P., Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc.
Venturing outside of Metal, Linkin Park is ok, ACDC, I guess System of a Down is metal, but it's different.... That give you a pretty good idea?
Dude what amp did you play it through at the store......buy that one if thats what sold the guitar to you
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
Quote by Operatus
200 or less for the budget. 300 is a stretch, but possibly acceptable. specific bands I guess would be Dethklok, All That Remains, Sabbath, Ozzy, Metallica(Death Magnetic is almost here!), W.A.S.P., Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc.
Venturing outside of Metal, Linkin Park is ok, ACDC, I guess System of a Down is metal, but it's different.... That give you a pretty good idea?

You made a terrible decision. Take back the guitar you bought and use more than half of the money you have for an amp. You could get an LTD Viper 400 for a good price that will rival the Gibson and will give you plenty of money for a GOOD amp.
Quote by Josola
Dude what amp did you play it through at the store......buy that one if thats what sold the guitar to you

All three of the guitars were through the same amp.
Last edited by Operatus at Sep 8, 2008,
Your gonna want to look at some used amps. You can find decent stuff in that range but it's going to take a little hunting. What major city do you live near?
Edit: We can do a lot better than those two amps you listed above.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by iRockMetal
Vypers have had excellent reviews.

But they still dont have valve tone

Man, they come REALLY close. Have you played one? That transtube technology Peavey updated for this amp is amazing. It even feedback's like a real amp...Definately play one.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You made a terrible decision. Take back the guitar you bought and use more than half of the money you have for an amp. You could get an LTD Viper 400 for a good price that will rival the Gibson and will give you plenty of money for a GOOD amp.

+1

Good guitar + bad amp = bad tone

Bad guitar + good amp = good tone.

Quote by TheEsupremacy
Man, they come REALLY close. Have you played one? That transtube technology Peavey updated for this amp is amazing. It even feedback's like a real amp...Definately play one.

Tubes have nothing to do with feedback, all amps, no matter how they are powered, feedback if they're turned up loud enough.

I highly doubt a budget modeling amp comes close to a decent tube amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by gregs1020
Your gonna want to look at some used amps. You can find decent stuff in that range but it's going to take a little hunting. What major city do you live near?
Edit: We can do a lot better than those two amps you listed above.

Phoenix, I figured I'd go and see if they have a vypyr i can try. I'm looking at the 199 one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-482909-i1413606.gc

Selling my guitar is not an option. I'm sticking to the 200 price
Quote by acdcrocks0323

Agreed.
Take back that guitar sir! and get a GOOD amp.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The solid state b52 aren't that great, but the randall is definitely worth a try.

I didn't realize that was a SS B-52. There was a VK 50 watt'r for $250 there too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.