Hello all. My quest for amplification takes me into the brutal regions of metal amps.

I am looking for a legit metal amp — my friend mentioned orange, saying that they are really high quality, but there's quite the waiting list. I come to you with questions about metal amps. What are your favorites? If you could get any amp you could, what would you get? Etc.

Thanks and keep shredding
Originally posted by Anghellic
Doing something metal just because its metal is so un-metal..
I thought they were more along the lines of alternative/indie rock amps.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
yeah, i'm not sure i'd want an orange for metal, they're more hard rock imo...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bugera
Equipment

GUITARS
Jackson RX10D
Ibanez GAX30
Ninja Strat Copy

AMPS
Laney LX120Twin Extreme
Fender Frontman 15W

Effects
Boss ME-20 Multi Effects Board
vox or marshall, i like those two
"Speaking of voting there's the electoral vote and the popular vote and I think in order to be popular, you gotta vote." -Eddie Vedder
What type of metal?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
What type of metal?

Technical Melodic Death Metal.

So orange is a no-go for metal? That's chill. I had a marshall full cab before. It was too much power. I'm definitely looking for a half-stack of some kind . . .
Quote by Agony

So orange is a no-go for metal? That's chill. I had a marshall full cab before. It was too much power. I'm definitely looking for a half-stack of some kind . . .

The distortion on the orange amps isn't heavy enough for metal. You'd need to put a distortion pedal in front of it.
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by Toolfan11
The distortion on the orange amps isn't heavy enough for metal. You'd need to put a distortion pedal in front of it.

Orange does great metal. If it's doom/stoner/sludge.

Tech deth, not so much.

But for doom/stoner/sludge, an Orange Thunderverb is pure unadulterated win.
Budget? If it's a high budget, I'd look at ENGL. I envy Dave for owning an ENGL. They're great for metal. If you're not quite into the thousands, maybe like at a Peavey 6505 or a used 5150?

But at the same time, I enjoy any JCM800 2204 owners
Quote by OMGWTFBBQ?
vox or marshall , maybe a line 6 spider(?)
The orange is more punk/indie

Vox is more br00tz than Orange?

What the hell is going on here?
I think slipnkot use orange live.
Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
Slipknot is a far cry from technical melodic death. I'll check out some ENGL's.
hey idiots, bands like The Red Chord use all orange amps, they are amazing high distortion amps.
They are probably throwing a pedal in front of it
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Budget is in the 3k range. I've been looking at the ENGL savage 120w. Any thoughts?
Quote by Agony
Budget is in the 3k range. I've been looking at the ENGL savage 120w. Any thoughts?

Splawn Nitro
Bogner Xtc
VHT Sig X
Laguna Mr. Hector
Quote by Agony
Budget is in the 3k range.

Splawn Splawn Splawn Splawn Splawn Splawn
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
uhh has no one mentioned between the buried me uses them and I would think there pretty technical . Try the thunderverb
we must become the change we want to see.
Quote by Agony

That's funny because Jari Maenpaa (Wintersun), the god of Melodic Death metal who has the technical finesse of Paul Gilbert has used an Orange Rockerverb on several occasions.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Sep 7, 2008,
So some of you advocate splawn over engl? Explain please?
Peter's Chimara.
To the guys recommending Vox:

From my experience Orange can definitely get pretty heavy, especially if you go for the Rockerverb 50. However, in the same price range, I'd recommend Splawn. Custom made amps. Definitely worth a look.
Quote by Agony

Engl.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Horlicks
To the guys recommending Vox:

From my experience Orange can definitely get pretty heavy, especially if you go for the Rockerverb 50. However, in the same price range, I'd recommend Splawn. Custom made amps. Definitely worth a look.

Good post.

Specifically on the custom made stuff.

B00teek is the way to go.

Peters Amplification for the win.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
totally this. /thread.

Glad someone else knows what's up.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I got the sarcasm.

RIGHT?

What? Its pretty awesome imo. Not sure if they still make the combos though.
Quote by Agony

haven't tried them, but they have a very good rep. worth looking into, no doubt (splawn that is). engl are great, but not as good value in the states.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?