I recently began learning all the solos in Master of Puppets, but I am stuck in two places, the first being the middle section of the clean solo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-12-------12-12h14p12-11----14-12-11--------------------------------|
|----14-12----------------12----------10~~---------------------------|

|----------------------------15-11/12-11-------12//19----------------|
|----------------------------------------12-11-11//17----------------|
|--------------------9-10-12-----------------------------------------|
|-7-9-10~~-7-9-10-12-------------------------------------------------|

These are the last two measures before the solo reverts back to the Arpeggio thing. I Do not understand how this translates into what I am hearing.

Secondly, The first lick of the fast distorted solo is driving me crazy. I am missing boat somewhere because I'm not sure if it's alternate picked really really fast, or if it is done a medium pace and just sounds that way because the way the notes connect.
Last edited by Russell.Thayer at Sep 7, 2008,
I am asking if anyone can tell me if this tab is accurate, also I am asking how the lick is played from the distorted solo.
Use a tab with a high rating and read all comments to get an accurate tab.

The lick in the fast solo is just played fast. There's no way around it; you have to practice. It's 8th-note triplets at 220 bpm, 11 notes per second, and it's played over a large span of the fretboard.
-aren't the 2 solos played with distortion?
-the first solo is played by james
-get guitar pro if you can, and get the tab for it. if you can't get it then download power tab. and again, download the power tab tab, from the tab section they should be right.
Quote by RCalisto
they should be right.
And you can listen to hear if it is right, too.

Quote by RCalisto
-aren't the 2 solos played with distortion?
Yes, but they're much calmer than the fast solo, which could be interpreted as less distorted or clean.

Quote by RCalisto
-the first solo is played by james
I doubt it. Where did you hear that?
I doubt it. Where did you hear that?

It is, as are the solos in Nothing Else Matters and The Thing That Should Not Be.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I'm certainly not afraid to play fast, the lick just doesn't have the right tempo when I play it.
Quote by Archeo Avis
It is, as are the solos in Nothing Else Matters and The Thing That Should Not Be.

nothing else matters yes, but i remember reading specifically about kirk hammets frame of mind when recording the solo's for the thing that should not be. as for the solos, james plays the interlude "solo" with kirk like, its a dual guitar line. but when it kicks in to the "shred" solo thats all hamster power.
Quote by z4twenny
nothing else matters yes, but i remember reading specifically about kirk hammets frame of mind when recording the solo's for the thing that should not be.

Really? I have a video of James playing the solo during a concert in the Master of Puppets era, but he may just have decided to try his hand at the solo for one reason or another.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Russell.Thayer
Lets stay on topic. Who can actually play the solo?

I can. The secret is (anticlimactically): Practice, and play it slowly.

The first lick of the fast distorted solo is driving me crazy. I am missing boat somewhere because I'm not sure if it's alternate picked really really fast

It makes use of hammer-ons and pull-offs.
I'm assuming you're talking about this lick:

d  p   u  d  u   d  h  p   u  d  u   and so on..   
e|-17-12------------12-17-12------------12-17-12------------12--|
b|--------13-12-13------------13-12-13------------13-12-13------|
g|--------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------------------------------|

e|-15-12------------12-17-12------------12-17-12------------12--|
b|--------13-12-13------------13-12-13------------13-12-13------|
g|--------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------------------------------|

I had trouble with this one for awhile too. I experimented with a bunch of different picking styles till I found one I liked, and I've got no problem with it now.

I use hammer-ons/pull-offs for everything on the high E, and I pick every note on the B string. Starts with a downstroke on the high E and a pull-off to the 12th fret, then up-down-up on the B string, back to a downstroke on the high E followed by a hammer-on and a pull-off, and then back to the 3 picked notes on the B. It just cycles like that. Alternatively, you could start with an upstroke on the high E, and you'd end up doing outside picking, but I prefer inside picking so I start with a down.

I hope that helps, it's not bad once you get it down.

EDIT: Added symbols into the tab

d = downstroke
u = upstroke
h = hammer-on
p = pull-off
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Last edited by ramm_ty at Sep 7, 2008,
Just to clarify one point, EM pentatonic refers to the scale containing E F# G# B C#, as it is the E major pentatonic. If you want the E minor pentatonic, the correct nomenclature is Em.
Quote by ramm_ty
I use hammer-ons/pull-offs for everything on the high E, and I pick every note on the B string. Starts with a downstroke on the high E and a pull-off to the 12th fret, then up-down-up on the B string, back to a downstroke on the high E

What works for me is doing as described above except after the pull-off to 12th fret, reverse picking directions.

So downstroke on high E, pull-off, then d'stroke on B string, u'stroke on B string, d'stroke on B string, u'stroke on E string.
I read an interview with Kirk recently in whcih he said the same thing (that James played the first, "clean" solo)
Quote by guitarviz
I read an interview with Kirk recently in whcih he said the same thing (that James played the first, "clean" solo)

For some reason I doubt he was able to write a slow and harmonized interlude like that. Plus it has some sounds that are a dead giveaway (to me) that Hammett is playing.
Quote by GerGuam
For some reason I doubt he was able to write a slow and harmonized interlude like that. Plus it has some sounds that are a dead giveaway (to me) that Hammett is playing.

Still wrong.
It's James, it's been said by both Kirk & James.
I find it weird though, because he's stated he doesn't even know the notes on the fretboard, let alone play in key. D=
Gore AND Core; unite!
Quote by GerGuam
Maybe Kirk wrote it and James played it?

"Jim, I've been shredding my ass off for two albums. You can take a solo if you want."

Such as? I think it has a lot of stuff similar to the Nothing.. solo, I'm pretty sure it's James.
Call me Batman.
I know You have to play things smooth and accurate before you worry about playing fast. All I ever wanted to know is if he was trilling this lick really fast or if it just sounded that way.