Ok, so my girlfriend wants to learn how to play guitar. I've started giving her lessons, which she's going over on her acoustic guitar, but her electric guitar has some screwed up wiring (what can I say, it's a second-hand Strat knockoff with an extremely obscure brand name), so I decided I'd get her a new guitar and a small travel amp for her birthday/Christmas, whatever I decide on later. For now, I'm gonna keep it on a low budget (not that I'm a cheapskate, but I just quit my job, and I'm limited to what cash I have left). I'm shooting for under 200 bucks. And by travel amp, I'm talking a couple of watts... something that you can clip onto a belt and walk around the house with.

Anyway, MF has an ok selection of low-price guitars. I sneakingly showed her some guitars on there, and she's quite fond of the black Dean XM Vendetta. Basically, I'm just asking for some advice here. I don't know a lot about the mini-amps, so I was just wondering what has a good rating and what doesn't, as well as any advice you all can give me on some low-price guitars. She likes the Vendetta, and for now, I think she's more concerned about how pretty the guitar looks than the guitar's action, body wood, and whether it has DiMarzios in it or not.
My fellow virginian hello!

The dean vendettas a pretty good guitar for the price, as for amps your not gonna be able to expect much.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
mini amps are terrible, get her a cheap 10 watt or something. Actually, if you shop right you can get a 25 watt or under for about the same as a good mini amp would cost anyways.
buy her a squier starter pack. thats what i got. but i started on acoustic first
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
yeah. what everyone else said... but just to add...
the problem with the 'clip on' amps, like that small marshall one, is that they are kinda like a novelty and cost a bit more then they are worth because they are a clip on amp.

as for the guitar, anything under 100 bucks is probably going to play and feel the same... can't really hope for too much. But the microcubes are decent amps, reliable and sturdy and sound pretty good for the price. Your only other option really is the 5 watt vox amp. But the cube sounds like your best bet
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I like the ideas everyone... Wanna know the sad thing? If I got her a microcube, she'd actually have a better amp that I do. XD

But, I'm thinking of upgrading to a Vox Valvetronix some time in October. Either way, I'll order the guitar and such a little while in advance, to make sure it's in good shape and all that. I'll adjust her action and intonation to make sure it's easy for her fingers to deal with... And that'll give me time to test out her equipment. XD

So, for a little bit of time there, I'll have a few new toys. XD
Oh, that reminds me. Has anyone tried the Vox AmPlugs? I saw those and thought they were interesting. However, the amount of tone that could fit into something like that seems a little iffy... =\
Get her a Daisy Rock guitar - not to be sexist, mind, I just really like them.

Odd GAS ahoy

And yeah, small started SS amp > mini map. My mini Marshall is bad bad bad. And since it's battery only it's actually quite expensive to keep topped up, I didn't bother after the first batteries went.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Pacifica 112 and microcube

/thread

Fix'd. Pacifica>Vendetta.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Xoth
I like the ideas everyone... Wanna know the sad thing? If I got her a microcube, she'd actually have a better amp that I do. XD

so get your next guitar amp and give her your old one? lol
But the vox amplugs are pretty good for what they are.. so i've heard, but I dont think they are something that should replace an actual amp.... more for if you have roomates, or its late at night and don't wanna wake anyone up, my two cents...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial