Hello,

I am looking for a distortion pedal for my 1980 Fender Vibro Champ. (see https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=946257&highlight=1980+fender+vibro+champ for info on it)

Now, the speaker is pretty weak. It's a 6W that can barely handle the noise coming out of the RP250 (I will sell it soon). So, I will be replacing that too with a better 8" speaker.

Also, I heard somewhere that distortion pedals + tube amp = nono. Why is this?

... if you don't want to read all of the above:

- I am looking for a distortion pedal for under $100
- I am also looking for an 8" speaker

I (attempt to ) play anything from classic rock to alternative to hard rock to metal.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for your suggestions!
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
For the speaker
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/
As for the disortion, that amp isn't really voiced for metal. You could coax something out if you are just playing in your room or something. Also, there is nothing wrong with using a distortion pedal with an amp, it's just that an overdrive would bring out the amps character better. I'd say a Bad Monkey if you're on a budget. That won't get you metal, but it'll sound good pushing that amp.
Quote by end_citizen
For the speaker
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/
As for the disortion, that amp isn't really voiced for metal. You could coax something out if you are just playing in your room or something. Also, there is nothing wrong with using a distortion pedal with an amp, it's just that an overdrive would bring out the amps character better. I'd say a Bad Monkey if you're on a budget. That won't get you metal, but it'll sound good pushing that amp.

Thanks,

I heard a lot about both of those products (the Weber speakers and the Bad Monkey). Which of the speakers would work best? Or are they generally the same (I heard that ceramic is something to stay away from). Also, what's the heaviest thing I'd be able to play with the Bad Monkey?
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
i say go with an mi audio crunchbox (130 new but less used) or a metal muff, and check out weber and eminece speakers
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
With the Bad Monkey you could push it into classic rock territory. If you really intend to try metal with it, I'd suggest you look at a ProCo Rat or an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff. As for the speaker the AlNiCo Signature 8 says "For all Champs with 8" speaker." It would probably be a great replacement, but if you want something voiced differently I'd say the AlNiCo Blue Pup under the British series.
i suggest the MXR distortion+ and a Jensen speaker.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Jenson MOD speakers are only 20 dollars. That might be a good alternative.
Distortion pedals give their own sound and don't let the real sound come through. In other words they "color" your tone. And since most distortion pedals aren't very good sounding, the result is just that bad distortion. Overdrives simulate the driving of the tubes and let more of your natural sound come through and therefore sound better. Maxon Od808 and od9s are nice. If you are on a budget, look into a Bad monkey or TS7. If you have some cash, check out out a Fulltone OCD