What is the big difference between American and British amps ? i have played trough fenders, marshalls, Voxs, Orange and Peavey, but there is no charecteristic that defines one country or the other.

fender is famous for it's cleans, but so is the Vox AC30 for it's clean chime, Marshall JTM45s wew known hor their nice full sound, but were based off of the fender Bassman circuit.

is it about distortions? i saw tonebone's tube ODs, and they had one "voiced" like an american overdrive and another likea british amp.

i'm not an idiot, i can tell the difference between a fender and a marshall, but what is the defining element in an american or a british amp? is it the tubes? transformer? layout? wood? open/closed back?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
The mids I think. Using 6l6s gave fenders and mesa a more scooped mid range while the famous mid spike in el34 gave marshall, hiwatt, and voxs their pronounced mid range.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The line's been blurred at time has gone on.
But basically the American Tone is basically chimey (sp?) cleans, or the kind of harsh metal overdrive.
British Tone is more of a saturated, compressed tone, filled with bottom end and mids.

But either "voiced amp" can do either, it's just red tape
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by Stratoblaster73
the American Tone is basically chimey

No, American tone is bright and focuses in the treble and bass.
Brittish tone is warm and focuses on mids, especially lower mids. Vox amps are known for their chimey tone.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Historically, the "American" sound was pretty much just the Fender tone. That means a mid scoop, warm cleans, "sag," and fuzzy overdrive that comes from pushing a very small amp way past its intended volume.
The british sound is stiffer, with much more mid emphasis and cleans that are more chimey. The british overdrive is less fuzzy and more saturated, with a much stiffer response especially in the low end.
These are generalizations, but that's the idea.
Quote by Roc8995
Historically, the "American" sound was pretty much just the Fender tone. That means a mid scoop, warm cleans, "sag," and fuzzy overdrive that comes from pushing a very small amp way past its intended volume.
The british sound is stiffer, with much more mid emphasis and cleans that are more chimey. The british overdrive is less fuzzy and more saturated, with a much stiffer response especially in the low end.
These are generalizations, but that's the idea.

^+1

Examples would be the difference between:

Metallica and Maiden
Nickelback and Lost Prophets
SRV and The Who
Lynyrd Skynyrd and Queen
Clapton used marshalls during that era did he not?
Id go British voiced if i were you.

EDIT: Ohh look, ive been siged!
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Came across it, made me feel warm and fuzzy inside

Twas just giving credit where credit was due.

And also you sold your VK?
Im ebayin my arse off for a used head.