So kids don't steal "spares" from the store?

Bought my first electric guitar bout a week ago.

Shit, anyone ever replaced all their allen screws with something that can be hand tightened on an ibanez? Whatchya buy? I need to try seventeen different tuning systems.
what the **** are you talking about.
Learn to put a sentence together correctly.
must resist........pear
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
must resist........pear

especially after what happened last night.
Quote by MobBarley
Shit, anyone ever replaced all their allen screws with something that can be hand tightened on an ibanez?

dont think so

Quote by MobBarley
I need to try seventeen different tuning systems.

forget that if you have a floyd rose (which is what I think)
Ok, I'll rephrase:

Why didn't they make these double locking tremelos with some variety of screws that were tightenable by hand instead of having to have an allen wrench (the hexagonal screw heads) handy?

I suspect they may not have had them come from the factory that way because children would screw with the screws on the guitars in the stores, possibly taking some "free samples".

If anyone has any ideas on what/where to buy replacements for these Allen Wrench screws with something that's tighenable by hand, I'd much appreciate the help.

Yes, I've already learned the hard way that trying different tuning systems with a flloyd rose is a lengthy process. But, in all honesty, hand tightenable screws would be nice for quickly changing strings, particularly for live performers or the inately lazy.
I dont think there really is a way except for a type of nut made by Kahler, but I think it is discontinued.
Quote by jake911
especially after what happened last night.

what happened last night??? i wasnt on much last night.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by jake911
I dont think there really is a way except for a type of nut made by Kahler, but I think it is discontinued.

Well, I mean, you could weld something atop the current screws (or "have it welded") or something. Will=way.

Just wundrun if there weren't something a bit more commonplace.

Actually, these nut screws come all the way out and are normal screws.... jsut gotta find the right ones.
Last edited by MobBarley at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by MobBarley
Ok, I'll rephrase:

Why didn't they make these double locking tremelos with some variety of screws that were tightenable by hand instead of having to have an allen wrench (the hexagonal screw heads) handy?

I suspect they may not have had them come from the factory that way because children would screw with the screws on the guitars in the stores, possibly taking some "free samples".

If anyone has any ideas on what/where to buy replacements for these Allen Wrench screws with something that's tighenable by hand, I'd much appreciate the help.

Yes, I've already learned the hard way that trying different tuning systems with a flloyd rose is a lengthy process. But, in all honesty, hand tightenable screws would be nice for quickly changing strings, particularly for live performers or the inately lazy.

Tuning systems? I think you mean guitar tunings, correct? Such as E standard, Drop D, etc? I've never played a guitar with any locking nut that I couldn't tighten the screws by hand atleast to a certain extent, so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

And if you want to try different tunings with a floyd rose, google the tremol-no, but it, and install it. They add more sustain, and can basically make having a hard tail pointless.
Quote by edusty2010
Tuning systems? I think you mean guitar tunings, correct? Such as E standard, Drop D, etc? I've never played a guitar with any locking nut that I couldn't tighten the screws by hand atleast to a certain extent, so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Yeah, that's what I was refering to by "Tuning Systems". I meant some nice thumb screws that you can tighten very well with your hands.

Check these out:
http://www.accuratescrew.com/Thumb-Screws.aspx

You can get different colors and stuff. Tightening these allen screws by hand is less than optimal, because that's not so tight (not just at the nut, all of them... although, for mine, the ones directly under the string on the tremelo may be a bit rough to replace with thumb screws).

Quote by edusty2010
And if you want to try different tunings with a floyd rose, google the tremol-no, but it, and install it. They add more sustain, and can basically make having a hard tail pointless.

Yeah, I saw those online. I may just have to buy one.

Ah hah, maybe allparts.com has some screws already figured out for this.
Ah ok, I see what you're saying now I don't really abuse the floyd, so hand tightening screws is usually ok for me, but if you had to change tunings fast or lost your allen wrench (that'd be like the first then I do lol) I agree they'd help.

And yeah, I've only gotten a hold of one guitar with an OFR and a tremol-no, and I was going from E to drop c (in dive only mode though) in less than a few minutes, the thing is totally worth it, if I ever get a guitar with a FR (I will eventually, just probably not now haha) then I'll buy the tremol-no and have it ready to be installed when I bring the guitar home haha, they really do so much and they're not very expensive.
Quote by edusty2010
Ah ok, I see what you're saying now I don't really abuse the floyd, so hand tightening screws is usually ok for me, but if you had to change tunings fast or lost your allen wrench (that'd be like the first then I do lol) I agree they'd help..

And 5 years from now, Ibanez gets a strange call at it's corporate headquarters saying "THIS IS EDUSTY! I NOW HAVE 10 SETS OF METRIC ALLEN WRENCHES, AND NONE OF THEM HAVE A 3 MM. THANKS, REALLY!!"

Speaking of which, where'd I put that... I need a thick steel necklace with that 3 MM welded on.

Quote by edusty2010
And yeah, I've only gotten a hold of one guitar with an OFR and a tremol-no, and I was going from E to drop c (in dive only mode though) in less than a few minutes, the thing is totally worth it, if I ever get a guitar with a FR (I will eventually, just probably not now haha) then I'll buy the tremol-no and have it ready to be installed when I bring the guitar home haha, they really do so much and they're not very expensive.

I just bought this used Ibanez RG 320 DX for $150 off some kid in great coniditon... it's not the "best best" ibanez trem, but it's good. A good lube and a little adjustment and I think it'll be perfect. It's this 24 fret neck that I love though, it feels like butter on a well greased 19 year old girl.
If you're reading this, you're definately a forum addict.... however, I carefully looked through all the screws, and only the ones on the nut are going to be replacable with "thumb screws"... and still be tight enough. But, if you have to replace a string, you have to allen wrench anyway... so, it's not worth ****ing with.

Still, I'm sure there's a way to make a good trem and double or more locking system with an easier way to replace strings.

Give that to the Ibanez engineers to chew on.
Woops, I just realized in the top of my thread I said "I bought my first electric guitar a week ago"... which is true.

However, I've owned about 12 instruments, spent shitloads on'um, and owned an electric bass back in my teens, and have owned an accoustic-electric for 8-10 years or so.

I also took music theory and have written over 300 songs or something, like I ****ing count them.
They use allen wrenches because you can't screw them down tight enough with your hands, and also because anyone with a Floyd will already have an allen wrench as it's also used for changing strings. I think Carvin did a latching system with flip-locks but it never caught on.

Also I'd have a serious re-think about experimenting with tunings on a Floyd, they don't like it very much. If you change tunings you have to re-balance the bridge by messing with the springs in the back, this in turn will send the guitar out of tune so you'll have to re-tune and likely balance the bridge. You've also got a lot less leeway in terms of string gauge, if you try to tune too low with light strings the lack of tension in the system will mean you have zero tuning stability. Conversely if you try to tune to standard with strings that are too heavy the floyd will be too stiff to operate normally.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
They use allen wrenches because you can't screw them down tight enough with your hands, and also because anyone with a Floyd will already have an allen wrench as it's also used for changing strings. I think Carvin did a latching system with flip-locks but it never caught on..

Well, maybe plain old phillips heads are very widely used for a good reason. Those little allen wrenches aren't very strong either.

Quote by steven seagull
Also I'd have a serious re-think about experimenting with tunings on a Floyd, they don't like it very much. If you change tunings you have to re-balance the bridge by messing with the springs in the back, this in turn will send the guitar out of tune so you'll have to re-tune and likely balance the bridge. You've also got a lot less leeway in terms of string gauge, if you try to tune too low with light strings the lack of tension in the system will mean you have zero tuning stability. Conversely if you try to tune to standard with strings that are too heavy the floyd will be too stiff to operate normally.

Eh... Maybe I'll just experiment with 2-4 different tuning systems instead of 17 then!

I already have, sucker!!! hahahaha.
Blue tac + allen key + back of headstock = never losing your allen key again