we usally practice at my house, about twice a week for three hours. my mother is saying that this is far too much, and that we are disrupting the neighbors. but the neighbors haven't said anything and we need the practice.

what should i do?
Tell your mom that it's not that long and most bands practice longer, and ask your neighbours or something.
~Carl
kill your mom
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
stab her.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
kill your mom

stab her.

Gah. that might complicate things a bit more. i dont know if the neighbors have said anything to anybody. i think she would gave told me if they did though
Is your's the only mother that agreed to let you practice at all? Why not once a week at your's and once a week at someone else's place? Maybe you can get some space at school for a few hours a week.

Don't whine moan or argue with her. It's her place and the only thing she gets out of your band practicing there is a loud annoyance for six hours a week.

Maybe you can make a trade to help her offset her inconvenience.

Talk to the band guys and tell them your old lady is getting grumpy. See what they're willing to do to make things better. Find out the maximum extent they will go to for the use of the space. Maybe your band can pay her back for her hospitality by all putting in an hour a week together gardening or helping out somehow to offset the six hours she has to put up with you all.

Then after discussing some ideas with your band and discovering what ideas on alternative practice arrangements or how far they are willing to go to keep the existing space - talk to your mother. Tell her you need at least this amount of practice time because you really want to have a good crack at following your dream. See what she can come up with as an alternative practice arrangement. See if she will consider a trade off. Maybe you will promise to keep good grades and in return she will let you pratice six hours a week. Maybe the band will all chip in for an hour a week worth of domestic or gardening to offset her inconvenience.

Consider it your first lesson in business discussions and the art of negotiation. Keep your emotion out of it. If you're professional and don't start bitching to get your way she will listen to you. If you look like you have taken her complaint seriously and are sincerely trying to find a solution she will not be unreasonable.

Don't offer everything at once but know what you have to offer and what you want out of the agreement then work together to find a solution.

If she doesn't go for it tell her you are very sad that you won't be able to credit her on your first album and thank her for all her support when you win your first Grammy. Then find somewhere else to practice.
Si
maybe you can try to soundproof where you're practicing with large walls of Styrofoam. We put some in our windows to help insulate/sound proof the basement and it's helped a lot. though our houses are a little farther apart than most houses are.
we cant practice at any of the other members houses as they all live in the middle of town and i live kinda in the middle of nowhere.
Quote by t_y_l_e_r

YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
Quote by cwl
we cant practice at any of the other members houses as they all live in the middle of town and i live kinda in the middle of nowhere.

But with neighbours obviously.

Personaly, I know how your neighbours would feel, it's annoying if you're trying to watch TV and you have to turn it up slightly to hear it over next door's stereo system, and believe me, most bands are a damn sight louder than most stereo systems.
Have you tried finding a rehearsal place that isn't in anyone's house? Possibly an actual professional rehearsal room? I know it sounds expensive but between a full band a three hour practice should only come to around a fiver each. Or alternatively, you could approach some local clubs or pubs or community centres that have function rooms and ask if you could use them for practicing. If they allow you to, it'll almost definately be cheaper than a professional rehearsal place and may even be free.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 10, 2008,