Alright, so I'm going to be getting an epiphone black beauty (the 3 pick-up one) and since what I've researched it has 3 humbuckers. I was thinking of modding it to have maybe... 2 humbuckers, and the last one turned into single coil.

I want to make this guitar a good one, I got an ibanez right now and I just don't like it anymore, doesn't 'float my boat' lol. So I guess what I want to know is some pick-up suggestions I can mod this thing with.

My Music I play: Classic Rock, Blues, Rock, Punk, Grunge, Reggae/Ska, Metal.

I'm pretty versatile, so I want my guitar to suit the same.
it will leave a huge gap in the wood, the singles only half the size of the bucker
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Oh, so what do you supposed I do then? :x

I was thinking of adding 2 single coils to fit the humbucker size. Think thats a good idea? (Maybe 2 different SC pick-ups for a unique tone....?)
2 single coils to fit a humbucker size is basically a humbucker.. lol

why dont you get a good quality humbucker that can be coiltapped into a single coil.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Why don't you get a Squier Strat in HSS configuration.

Bridge pickup can do metal, neck can do blues, and the 3 in any combination can do all your rock, punk, whatever.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
why dont you just coil tap the middle ( or all if yo uwant ) pick up?
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Ephiphone makes a 2 pickup Ebony Les Paul Custom which is basically a 2 pick up black beauty, so if you don't like the idea of the middle pickup, you can do that.

If you want versaitility, coil tap the neck pickup.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Musicman48858
Ephiphone makes a 2 pickup Ebony Les Paul Custom which is basically a 2 pick up black beauty, so if you don't like the idea of the middle pickup, you can do that.

If you want versaitility, coil tap the neck pickup.

Nah, I like 3 pick-ups, I figured with 3 I could have more versatility than a normal les paul. So I guess since the neck should be coil tap?

Can someone explain coil tap? I've only been playing for roughly 7 months and never customized anything. I just know the difference of single coil and humbucker.
No, it's no more versatile than the 2 pickup one. If you really want to, you could get a humbucker sized P-90 (Duncan Phat Cat, Gibson P-94, GFS Dream/Mean 90) for the neck on the two pickup one.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've been researching about the P-90s and they seem good. Anyone want to give some Feedback about it or direct me to a thread about them and where I can maybe hear the sounds in songs?

Also, should I leave the stock humbuckers or exchange them for better ones?
Actually, its called a coil split. A coil tap is used on single coil pickups. The tap is a wire soldered to a winding in the coil to give the pickup less output. A coil split basically shuts off one of the coils, giving you less output and no hum cancelling. A series/parallel switch will give you single coil sounds, and will remail hum cancelling.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by Øttər
Why don't you get a Squier Strat in HSS configuration.

An LP is a whole different feel. He may really want an LP.

If you definitely want three pickups, I'd pop a P90 in the middle. For versatility, I'd suggest wiring your humbuckers for a series/parallel switch. Parallel won't give you true single coil sounds, but it is a good, smooth sounding middle ground between a bucker and a single coil (similar to the 2 and 4 positions on a strat). I personally prefer a parallel switch to a coil tap because it is still hum-canceling and sounds sweeter to my ears.
alright, so I went to my guitar shop today and tested a few guitars including the Black Beauty LP.

I gotta say, I loved the LP, but I had my eyes set on a few others since that one is quite a bit of money.

There is the Mexican strat (I guess? The 400$ one) not the HSS just the standard, and the ibanez S470DXQM which made me fall back in love with ibanezes.

So I guess with those new choices, how could I mod these guitars to suit my playing needs?

I've always liked strats, ever since I started listening to hendrix lol, and ibanez's came in because of Sublime.

Soo... I'm leaning toward the ibanez or the strat, so tell me how I could mod these guitars.
Last edited by SuperstarPunani at Sep 9, 2008,
^+1 on the Ibanez and '59 suggestions

and we need to know what ur amp is
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
get some rockfield's. get a fatass in the bridge, (covers all metal,rock) then a swc coil tapped in the neck, has the most beautiful cleans and can do everything else, i mean everything, even metal. google rockfield and listen to them. there great (and only $50 each)
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Ibanez would be fine. Make sure you like the feel of the neck, I'm not a fan of their D profile or their flat fretboard.

For more Hendrix-y tones, stick a Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 in the neck and install a series/parallel switch.

What's your amp right now, btw?

EDIT: Don't you already own an S470??

No, I don't own the S470...yet. So is the Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 single coil? Or what?

And yeah, I like the neck, its thin and very fast and I love how it feels. Not to mention the color is gonna be the blue, so it looks very beautiful.

The guitar has 2 humbuckers 1 single coil, the single coil is in the middle and the humbuckers on the other sides of it.

My amp is a Line 6 Spider III I think 15 watt? Whatever the small one is that doesn't have that many settings, just like Clean Crunch Metal Insane lol. I plan on buying a marshall amp soon also, so the Line 6 won't matter soon enough.
No, the '59 is a PAF (the original humbucker) copy.
Also, don't get an MG, what ever you do don't get one. They're basically muddy sounding bees in a trashcan with solid state clipping. I'd suggest a Peavey windsor instead.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The '59 is humbucker.

What Marshall? The MG series is awful..Don't even worry about replacing pickups right now..

I'm not too sure on the Marshall amp yet. I mean obviously I want one thats good, but I don't want to spend like 800$ on just the amp, so I guess one in the price range of 100$~250$
Quote by forsaknazrael
That's not going to get you a real Marshall. Any Marshalls in that range are MGs.

Keep saving.

How much would I have to save for?

Also, going back to your other post, why shouldn't I worry about the pick-ups?
Quote by Absent Mind
why dont you get a good quality humbucker that can be coiltapped into a single coil.

This is Truth. Having a humbucker you can coil tap in the middle position would make the guitar more versatile anyway. It's like having both. But i love the sound of P-90s myself. Its all in what you want.

Quote by SuperstarPunani

Its been made a well known fact that most of your tone comes from your amp. The pickups do effect your tone, but not nearly as much as the amp. But your free to do whatever you want.

Amps: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
XBL Gamertag: XzXPatrickXzX
The System HAS Failed
Quote by tommyp484
"RUSSELL! WHAT THE F*CK!!!!"
Last edited by XzX_Patrick_XzX at Sep 10, 2008,
Buying an MG = agonizing regret. If you must get an inexpensive solid state amp, get a Peavey.
Quote by SuperstarPunani

Well, you should be able to get a good amp for under 600. It doesn't have to be a Marshall to be good.

As for my other comment, I say don't worry about pickups for a few reasons:
- You don't own the guitar yet. Why worry about modding it already?
- You're still playing through a crappy practice amp. It's not going to make a significant difference.
- A new, more playable guitar will help your skill, but a new amp will help your tone - much more so than pickups.
- Pickups are for tweaking your tone, not just "improving it". So if you don't have an amp that somewhat gives you your "ideal tone", how can you know how you need to tweak it?
Obviously your style hasnt developed prperly yet. I think you should wait til you have more money, get a good all round amp and then see what you think. You have gone from wanting a lespaul custom to a strat in about ten posts. These 2 guitars are completely different beasts.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, you should be able to get a good amp for under 600. It doesn't have to be a Marshall to be good.

As for my other comment, I say don't worry about pickups for a few reasons:
- You don't own the guitar yet. Why worry about modding it already?
- You're still playing through a crappy practice amp. It's not going to make a significant difference.
- A new, more playable guitar will help your skill, but a new amp will help your tone - much more so than pickups.
- Pickups are for tweaking your tone, not just "improving it". So if you don't have an amp that somewhat gives you your "ideal tone", how can you know how you need to tweak it?

Obviously so, so I guess I should be more worried about the amp then.

Obviously your style hasnt developed prperly yet. I think you should wait til you have more money, get a good all round amp and then see what you think. You have gone from wanting a lespaul custom to a strat in about ten posts. These 2 guitars are completely different beasts.

The reason why I've switched around. I own a Ibanez, so obviously I know the general feel and sound of them. My sister owns an epiphone les paul and I play it sometimes when i go to her house, so obviously I know the general feel and sound of those. I've tested many strats at my guitar shop over the past 3 months.

And I don't get how you can assume that my style hasn't developed properly. I mean obviously I don't have a style, but it doesn't mean its not developed properly, just under development :P.
Quote by SuperstarPunani

for a real marshall, $1000 or more.

if you want a good solid state amp though, go for a peavey or a roland cube (30w or higher only). I almost got a cube, but my dad offered to help me buy a tube amp soo....
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
How 'bout a Peavey Classic 30? it's $600 new, not that bad.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
^+10

classic 30 is $600 new, much less used, and its a great amp, i recommend that and then pups if u still think ur tone needs tweaking.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking