So here's the story - a friend of mine got me a job as a guitar teach for another friend of his. Now, it sounds like fun, plus the girl i'm supposed to teach, according to rumors, is pretty hot (I don't know her). Anyway, I know that playing guitar and teaching guitar are very different things.
I tought my friends a lot of things, but they all knew how to handle a guitar basically before I tought them, so it was easier.
The problem is - I have no idea how to teach the basics. Any advice? (Oh, and don't say I should start from the basic chords, cause I am against starting from chords)

Thanks!
Quote by Shaharz
(Oh, and don't say I should start from the basic chords, cause I am against starting from chords)

Good luck with that, then.
Thanks, you've been a lot of help.
The thing is, I didn't start from chords and got to them only after about a month of playing, and I think that was one of the best things my teacher did for me. That's why I'm against it.
Quote by NimbleElephant
Good luck with that, then.

+1
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Who doesnt start from chords? You have to think like a person who wants to play guitar. Teach to the audience. I would teach basic chords, then the blues and major scale in lst position. I wouldnt throw theory in, but i would explain the diffrence between the two. Then i would explain the way that simple chord progressions work. You can talk about the theory, but make sure that the person knows how to play.

OH and the first lessons should be about getting used to the guitar, the mechanics, a little bit of history, and what pieces of the guitar are what
i enjoy head
Finger exercises. proper wrist position/way to hold a pick/way to finger pick. you know... the basics
Quote by Jazzcore23
Who doesnt start from chords? You have to think like a person who wants to play guitar. Teach to the audience. I would teach basic chords, then the blues and major scale in lst position. I wouldnt throw theory in, but i would explain the diffrence between the two. Then i would explain the way that simple chord progressions work. You can talk about the theory, but make sure that the person knows how to play.

OH and the first lessons should be about getting used to the guitar, the mechanics, a little bit of history, and what pieces of the guitar are what

Well, I first learned fingerpicking, and I think that was very very useful to me, plus it gave me the option to use chords for more then just strumming as soon as I learned them. I want to teach her fingerpicking first as well.

And thanks for the advice =]

Edit:
Finger exercises. proper wrist position/way to hold a pick/way to finger pick. you know... the basics

Yeah... Um... any advice for basic finger exercises?
Quote by Shaharz
Thanks, you've been a lot of help.
The thing is, I didn't start from chords and got to them only after about a month of playing, and I think that was one of the best things my teacher did for me. That's why I'm against it.

Sorry, I learned from starting with basic chords. When I first learned I wanted to get into playing songs as quick as possible. I'm sure almost any beginner does. I taught myself the basic chords, G,C,D,A, etc... and then I went from there. Learned some Barre chords, then worked myself up to theory.

I always thought that was the best way to learn. I'm sure you'll do fine, though.
In my school I have to do this future teaching crap thing and I have to teach some people how to play guitar and I just start with the very basics such as naming parts of the guitar.
justinguitar.com use his searchbar for "the finger gym". it's what i use and i'm about 6 months in but i used that from like week one.

Also, and behind her and position the guitar for at lest half an hour to make sure she's comfy. yep.
I think it's going to be pretty difficult teaching somebody how to play when you have know idea what you're doing. Technique would be the first thing I'd be concerned about though, as said above.