So I was thinking about picking up bass (already play guitar), and I found a used Carvin locally going for about half value. It's in great condition, but the Carvin transfer is missing from the headstock so I can't be absolutely sure it's legit. The profile, p/ups etc. are correct, so it should be cool, but still. Should I go for it?
All Carvin basses are made in the USA, and I can't think of any American-made instrument that isn't built well. All Carvin basses are designed properly, so I bet it'll sound and play well, too.

It'll be quality, but you should still try it out in case you don't like it. Warwick 5-strings are quality, but their string spacing is too tight for me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well like I said, I can't be 100% sure it's really a Carvin due to the lack of a logo but I'm well aware of Carvin's stellar record. It played well enough (5-string fretless, and I've always had a soft spot for both traits), and it looked quite nice, it's just a question of risk. I plan on getting a bass regardless at some point, it's just a question of if it's this bass and if not, then when (and what, I suppose).
Last edited by Nightfyre at Sep 7, 2008,
^Yeah if it hasn't sold I'll do that. In the meantime and just in case, what are some other good fretless basses (preferably 5 strings) for under $1000? Wide neck (aiming for 2" at the nut perhaps? If that's a 6-string width go ahead and list those too I guess) is preferable, I have pretty good size hands with long fingers so reach will NOT be an issue for me.
A 5-string with a 2" nut width? No idea - My Jazz is plenty wide at 1.875" and I can't imagine much wider. Typically, wide necked basses are about wide string spacing at the bridge, not the headstock.

However, that said, I'd avoid Warwick and I believe Spector basses (and their cheap versions). I believe their 5-strings clock in at around 1.75" at the nut, which is too tight everywhere.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
A 5-string with a 2" nut width? No idea - My Jazz is plenty wide at 1.875" and I can't imagine much wider. Typically, wide necked basses are about wide string spacing at the bridge, not the headstock.

However, that said, I'd avoid Warwick and I believe Spector basses (and their cheap versions). I believe their 5-strings clock in at around 1.75" at the nut, which is too tight everywhere.

Duly noted - I'd already found that Warwicks make my left hand cramp a bit. 1.875" should be fine, I was deliberately overshooting there. Thing is, I really do have the reach to manage it quite easily
Do they make the Jazz 5-string in a fretless configuration?
EDIT: Hmm... I like the Jazz 24 V. Nice specs, good price.
you can make it fretless.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^True, and then put in some maple strips for a lined fretless. I might just do that.
Thanks to all for your help, much appreciated!
maple strips? nah. just use lightly colored wood filler. much easier. won't be enough in there to really mess up the tone. make sure you poly it if you're planning on using roundwound strings on it though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
maple strips? nah. just use lightly colored wood filler. much easier. won't be enough in there to really mess up the tone. make sure you poly it if you're planning on using roundwound strings on it though.

Nah, I'm a jazzer at heart. Flatwounds all the way
Wood filler compresses, btw. I've heard elsewhere it can **** up your neck with time as a result, but regardless of that fact the first defret job I ever saw had maple strips and it was beautiful, so I'm kind of set on it.
ok. I don't mind. just be real careful.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard