Sooo on friday I received not one, but TWO packages in the mail. (I basically camped in my apartment complex's lease office 'til the trucks came hehe)

Package 1: Crate V-18 112. This amp is a hugeeee improvement to my old Vox Pathfinder 15R. You can see the size difference in the picture. The V-18 has a pretty big chassis for being a 1x12.

Package 2: BYOC Overdrive TS808 clone. I finished this kit this morning. It was my first time soldering aside from the beginners kit it came with. It ran after only a few minor hitches (i accidently reversed the wiring pattern for the cable plugs).

These two together KILL compared to my previous set up. I can really get a wide range of tones. I couldn't tell you if it can do metal well as I don't really play metal and don't have an idea of a good metal tone. It's really nice having the overdrive pedal since the V18 is a single channel amp.

I can't complain about either of these purchases. The crate was the biggest steal of all. I'm prolly going to play it stock for a month or two, then look into a speaker/tube swap.

Last thing: Any ideas for a color scheme for the pedal??
Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500M
Ibanez GAX-70
Crate V-18 112
BYOC Overdrive TS808 Clone
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by theinnerpalm at Sep 7, 2008,
Killer job on the BYOC OD

Very nice choices.

EDIT:
Color scheme depends on what you like, maybe pick something suited to the style of music you like?

One thing that might look nice is black with silver print, it would match your Crate nicely.

Or you could do Yellow with purple print and paisleys for a psychedelic/Hendrix look.

Or just paint it your favorite color with black print.

The coolest thing to do is hand it over to a really artistic friend and tell them to go nuts.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Last edited by thefrigginbob at Sep 7, 2008,
awesome.

Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
If that's a pathfinder back there that's still a pretty decent amp. Nice choice on gear and nice job on the pedal. It looks pretty slick just plain, i dunno how i'd color it.
Quote by HighPotency
If that's a pathfinder back there that's still a pretty decent amp. Nice choice on gear and nice job on the pedal. It looks pretty slick just plain, i dunno how i'd color it.

Yeah I'm definitely keeping the pathfinder for playing at night. It has served me well thats for sure
Ibanez GAX-70
Crate V-18 112
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Awesome-looking setup there. I've been trying to get my friend to swap out his Spider III for a Crate V series, but to no avail. He cites our former lead guitarist's shitty solidstate Crate as reason for his refusal (which is legitimate, but the Crate V series is nothing like it)

That and he's saving up for a camera lens. Photography is his other passion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Wow man, that amp is huge for a 1x12.

Nice setup though and that's some pretty clean soldering for the first attempt
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Must sound killer! That pedal looks professionally soldered. You must be some kind of natural.

While I love my V16, I am looking at a speaker and tube swap soon. It served me with great tone for at least a year but I am looking at getting better tone. You should be completly satisfied for more than a month or two though.
I just got a v18 too, can't turn down the price on those, especially as they seem to be a league ahead of all other v series amps in terms of tone. I'm loving it though I've had to cut the bass, and the reverb is unruley. Definately worth more than the $150 they're going for.

Ditto on the tidy BYOC job, my first pedals were a hell of a lot more messy than that.
Do a fax quilt top.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
Do a fax quilt top.

What's a fax quilt top? please explain
edit: I think you meant faux quilt top... got it

Quote by dullsilver_mike
I'm loving it though I've had to cut the bass, and the reverb is unruley.

I have to keep the bass lower than normal as well, but its not too much of a nuisance. My reverb has been kind of weird also... When I first plugged in and played there was a lot of static in the background, but it settled down over the past couple days and now i can barely hear and static when i pump the reverb all the way up. Maybe its interference coming from the wall outlet?

As for the color scheme, I was actually thinking about doing something with yellow and purple like thefrigginbob mentioned. I'll paint it at some point down the line and probably post pics when I do. For now I'm all about playing it wouldn't want it to be MIA for a whole week or however long it takes me once i decide to paint.

Oh PS thanks for the soldering compliments, I'm actually flattered haha. I surprised myself at how good I was at soldering, I had no shorts from too much solder and whatnot when I build the confidence booster and the overdrive, I just got confused by the instructions diagram for the overdrive, because the labels on the in/out ports were contrary to the picture of the in/out ports. Honestly, I was expecting to build it and spend 2 days trouble shooting with people on the BYOC boards.
Ibanez GAX-70
Crate V-18 112
Vox Pathfinder 15R
lucky... i've been trouble shooting my byoc compressor since... march?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
The worst BYOC I did was the slow gear clone. Turns out there was actually an error on the board... of course that knowledge didn't help me as I had screwed it up somewhere else as well lol. Finally came out alright though.

If you like building pedals after these first attempts, check out generalguitargadgets.com too; they have some stuff that BYOC doesn't and they tend to be cheaper (though I don't like their kits quite as much as BYOC especially the enclosures).
I believe the most original paint scheme for the 808 would be something like a dark neon kind of green haha.

Frigginbob's idea of making it match the amp sounds like a winner to me.

Great job on the build and have fun with your new gear!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I bet that amp sounds great. I want to build my own pedal, would you say its difficult?
Quote by Miss G
I bet that amp sounds great. I want to build my own pedal, would you say its difficult?

I didn't think it was very hard... If you buy a BYOC effect you can get a free beginners kit that will help with soldering. If you don't have a steady hand it can make soldering a bitch. If you read up on some soldering tips and assembly tips, it will help ALOT. I found it to be reallly fun, but i'm a sucker for building anything.
Ibanez GAX-70
Crate V-18 112
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Congrats for sure!

I may not know a lot about the stuff you got there, but I can relate to your enthusiasm because I had a new gear weekend myself!

Enjoy!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
i did mean faux now do it!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7