Ok so im probably pissing alot of you guys off with how many posts i keep making, but i need all the advice i can get !! My question is, when i change from chord to chord is it best to take all of my fingers completely off the fret board or should i slide my fingers up and down the strings ? When i take my fingers off the board im finding it very hard to land my fingers flush on the strings needed. But when i slide on the strings it just don't sound right.
Don't slide, unless you want that effect it will just hurt you in the long run. By hurt I mean possibly make your music sound terrible.

Just practice changing very slow at first, take your time and make sure all your fingers form the chord at once, not one finger at a time.
It is best to look for common fingering between chord changes whenever possible. Instead of taking your entire hand off, take off only two or three fingers.

Ex. Open G major to Open D major. Leave your ring finger on the 3rd fret of the 2nd string and then move first finger and second finger to the 2nd fret of strings 1 and 3.
you can slide to some degree, when using power chords for example. Don't hold your fingers down and slide, take your fingers up but still have then touching the string to where if you were to strum it would just be a muted sort of muted thunk. You actually kind of have to do it this way when dealing with power chords, because if you were to take your fingers off to quickly it would result in a pull off effect.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Quote by rbouchard47
It is best to look for common fingering between chord changes whenever possible. Instead of taking your entire hand off, take off only two or three fingers.

That is great advice and works wonders.

The second thing is practicing between the two chords that are giving you problems. I remember that when starting out C major to G major would give me alot of problems. Everyday I kept practicing going from one to the other over and over again. Eventually muscle memory took over and i started to see improvement both in getting all the fingering right in one shot as well as my speed increased. Just try and practice with two chords at first then move on to the next. Don't even strum, just practice going from one to the other. Also, once you realize you're starting to improve use a metronome.
Last edited by metaxis at Sep 8, 2008,
the best way to get good at changing chords is to just do it! don't worry about how bad it sounds when you first start out, just keep practicing the c to d or g to d or whatever. with enough practice you'll start to notice that it it will seem to sort of just fall into place and it'll sound like it's supposed to.