16 38%
MXR Super Comp
10 24%
Keeley 2-Knob Compressor
8 19%
Keeley 4-Knob Compressor
18 43%
Voters: 42.
this is not a versus thread. i was just wondering if anyone had experience with any of these compressors.

i like the tone from "Jamaica Farewell" off of jimmy buffets live album "Feeding frenzy".

which compressor would do the best job for this tone and maybe stuff like Dire Straights?

Diamond Compressor
Barber Tone Press
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Super Comp
Keeley Compressor (2 knob)
Keeley Compressor (4 knob)

any other suggestions would be appreciated with the exceptions of any Boss, Digitech, EHX and DOD compressors.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
The Keeley 2 and 4 knobs are the same thing, but the 2 knob has the other knobs on the inside; the 4 knob is a little more user friendly i guess...ProGuitarShop did a demo of the 2 knob and explained that.

The Keeley is really really good, and also Analogman's Ross Compressor (the Comprossor) is supposed to be amazing, along with the Bi-Comprossor; Trey from Phish uses one, and while I've only started to get into Phish, his guitar sound is really really good. So either of those two get my vote.
Coincidentally, I'm also from Jamaica. I know that Buckethead happens to use the CompROSSor, which can be heard towards the end of the solo in "Jordan" (I think) before he goes back to the main riff.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Analog man compressors, my uncle has one and it is amazing, i think its the bi-compressor but not sure.
Gear
Carvin custum dc 747
Ibanez rg 520qs
Homemade Nocaster
Hofner violin bass
Hughes & Kettner Swithcblade 100 head
Ampeg v-4 412's (one with veteran 30's one with stock speakers)
Randall 412
Vintage Supra
ISP Decimater G-string
If you can afford it, i'd go analogman or keeley
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I have a Barber Tone Press that I use occasionally (my amps don't need it), but the coolest thing about it is that it has a blend control that allows you to vary the mix of compressed & uncompressed signal getting through, along with the usual comp controls. much finer adjustment available than any other compressor I've tried, but I haven't tried the analogman or keeley units.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I have a Barber Tone Press that I use occasionally (my amps don't need it), but the coolest thing about it is that it has a blend control that allows you to vary the mix of compressed & uncompressed signal getting through, along with the usual comp controls. much finer adjustment available than any other compressor I've tried, but I haven't tried the analogman or keeley units.

i've hears good things about that one. how much do they go for?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
what compressor is best for more technical metal, so basically a compressor that can handle high gain, and not tone or gain suck it dry.
Quote by tgrillo
nothing but good things to say about the mxr dynacomp

agreed. its a nice pedal and reasonably priced.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
diamond makes AMAZING pedals
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I just got the dyna comp a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty nice, but i doubt if it stands up to something like the keely or barber. For the money it's great, but if you got the cash i'd look at the other 2.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Goldenglove
What about the ehx black finger?

or the white finger? Theres also the Soul Preacher....
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
The Keeley 4-knob is fantastic. Incredibly transparent and subtle in all the right ways. The 2-knob is great as well, but I tweak the attack and trim pots quite a bit, so it's nice to have them on the front. Highly recommended.
Quote by Goldenglove
What about the ehx black finger?

Quote by Kai07
or the white finger? Theres also the Soul Preacher....

ahem...
Quote by Jhachey22

any other suggestions would be appreciated with the exceptions of any Boss, Digitech, EHX and DOD compressors.

i already know about those compressors, and i didn't like them.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
can anyone tell me the price of the Barber Tone Press? i found the site, but they price listed on a company's website is usually more than the cost if i bought it in the store.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 16, 2008,
bump
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
can anyone tell me the price of the Barber Tone Press? i found the site, but they price listed on a company's website is usually more than the cost if i bought it in the store.

I apologize for not answering your previous question about the price of the Tone Press, but I thought it would be easy to find, & then ClementWave answered with the $150 amount. I paid $159 US + tax + shipping from a store called Bananas At Large in Calif. I could've probably saved the tax, but I try to support local shops as much as I can (NOT GC).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I'll add my bit on the dyna comp. Definitely adds some color, but not necessarily in a bad way. Way too noisy for my tastes though, even set moderately.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by riffhog
I apologize for not answering your previous question about the price of the Tone Press, but I thought it would be easy to find, & then ClementWave answered with the $150 amount. I paid $159 US + tax + shipping from a store called Bananas At Large in Calif. I could've probably saved the tax, but I try to support local shops as much as I can (NOT GC).

ah. so with my tax here in canada, it should be a little over than 200$ with shipping.
hmmm.... that's a tad pricey...
is it worth it? what are some of the good features on the tone press that arent on a lot of pedals?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Whats the MXR superComp like?

I was just about convinced on the DynaComp which is €79 here (Ireland) then i saw the SuperComp and its €85 and has an attack level knob,

dunno what to do!im guessing the Dynacomp is better because everyone always mentions it and not the SuperComp?
My Gear:
Jackson RR3 + Bill Lawrence L500XL

Sennheiser EW500 Wireless
T-bone EWS wireless
IbanezTS9
MXR 6Band EQ
Ibanez WD7
Decimator

Peavey VK100
Epiphone ValveJunior
Kustom Quad100DFX 2x12
MicroCube!
Marshall 1960A 4 x 12
Try both? I don't they're all that different.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I cant cause i'm buying from thomann.de and my local music store doesnt have them and if they ordered them i'd have to buy.

hmmmm
My Gear:
Jackson RR3 + Bill Lawrence L500XL

Sennheiser EW500 Wireless
T-bone EWS wireless
IbanezTS9
MXR 6Band EQ
Ibanez WD7
Decimator

Peavey VK100
Epiphone ValveJunior
Kustom Quad100DFX 2x12