i bought a jazz bass yesterday and i noticed some of the magnets near the middle of pickup are higher, and when i slap and such it hits the magnet and makes the booming sound it makes when u make the string touch the magnets. is there anyway to lower those magnets and not the pickup? Thanks
I believe the middle magnets are higher because of the curve of the fingerboard. I have no idea how to lower then on a J
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by trevorjps
this comment is irrelevant

reported. and yes it is. EDIT: dang, Del's fast.

I think only a few pickups have that as a possibility. one benefit of G&L, but anyway, no. I'm pretty sure you can only lower the pickup.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i mean on a jazz is it normal for the string to hit the magnet while slapping? :P lol Sorry im new to jazzes since my last bass was a p bass...
Either the pups are too high, or you're slapping wrong. The string should be hitting off the frets, and you should be slapping quite close to the neck. If the strings are hitting the pole pieces before the frets, something is very wrong and will be fixed by looking at first sentence of this post again.
ahh.. i think i found something. I lowered the action and its not doing it anymore... let me do the rest and ill see if it works...
hmmm when i slap the D string it still makes the noise... but when popped it doesnt. hmmm
technique probably, it's a lot harder to get those thin strings.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom